Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just what was Dahoud thinking?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Nah, it was a red all day, imho. Again, I'll say that there was no malice intended, just a rush of blood to the head.
Well, it's absolutely not getting overturned, and the VAR didn't intervene either so a red card is definitely fair and reasonable, or at least not unreasonable. What would have been interesting is if the ref missed it, or gave a yellow; in that case I'm not sure a red would've ultimately resulted.

After, watching the rugby wc recently, I reckon that would have been the 10-min sin bin, but mitigating circumstances ultimately no red card.

Regardless, it was a red and it was arguably/probably/certainly correct.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That was my understanding...a bit of retribution he hoped wouldn't be noticed (IF SO, pretty twattish from an experienced pro).
That is my assessment.

I remember the Arsenal game last season, Martinelli flattened Mitoma. A couple of minutes later, Caicedo went in hard on Martinelli and got away with it. He exchanged a smile with Mitoma afterwards. That is how it should be done. Rule 1 - don't get caught.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I thought a straight red - no complaints at that.

I think personally that Dahoud has done relatively little to impress since he came here. If I was
him, I would take this break opportunity as a watershed moment. I think it's all or nothing for him.

I thought a straight red - no complaints at that.

I think personally that Dahoud has done relatively little to impress since he came here. If I was
him, I would take this break opportunity as a watershed moment. I think it's all or nothing for him.
Strongly disagree with this. Really added some impetus to get the equaliser at Everton and then was fine in Amsterdam. I’ve seen enough now that we’ve got a good player, albeit one who has taken time to adjust to this league (which shouldn’t surprise anyone). He’s adjusting slightly quicker than Baleba, for example, but both good signings

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Can only put it down to frustration and inexperience I suppose - maybe seeing the heavy tackle on Gilmour moments before? Whether it was ‘intentional’ or not - dangerous play and a deserved red card - we were in uproar when Ferguson was stamped on his achilles by Fabinho - it’s risking a potentially a career changing injury when a player does that to another player - can understand why RDZ said he doesn’t like ‘80% referees’ though - he was probably wondering why Fabinho got away with a blatant red on Ferguson - the inconsistency in English refereeing is appalling.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It looked a fair enough red to me.

It's very disappointing because it not only paid a large contributing part in us not winning the game but it takes him out of our next however many games at a point where we already have a lot of players unavailable.

I hope he doesn't become the new whipping boy but he does, in my opinion, have a lot of making up to do. He's shown flashes of quality but he hasn't pulled up any trees in a Brighton shirt yet so to get a stupid and costly red card like that isn't a great look.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can only put it down to frustration and inexperience I suppose - maybe seeing the heavy tackle on Gilmour moments before? Whether it was ‘intentional’ or not - dangerous play and a deserved red card - we were in uproar when Ferguson was stamped on his achilles by Fabinho - it’s risking a potentially a career changing injury when a player does that to another player - can understand why RDZ said he doesn’t like ‘80% referees’ though - he was probably wondering why Fabinho got away with a blatant red on Ferguson - the inconsistency in English refereeing is appalling.

If VAR isn’t giving the correct decisions because their mate is already having a bad game then it’s corruption. We don’t want it to be as supporters although I think we’ve all seen to many dubious decisions against us as a smaller club.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think it was intentional, he was trying to shield the ball. However, it is a red because it was dangerous even though the Sheffield player stuck his leg there rather than Dahoud going for his leg.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also strongly disagree. He’s taken time to adjust, but there’s a good player in there and he’s certainly an upgrade on Gilmour. He’s not had a decent run of games which doesn’t help matters either.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Watching this again, I don’t know how anyone thinks this is anything less than a straight red. Even frame by frame. Frame by frame it actually looks worse.

I’d be furious if someone has done that to one of our players.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the sort of thing the club should appeal on
The grounds for an appeal are “For an appeal to be successful, you must prove that the referee made an obvious error in sending the player off.”

It wasn’t obvious error and the club then run the risk of an extra game being added to the suspension for being “frivolous”.

I’d be surprised if we appeal this.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't think it was intentional, he was trying to shield the ball. However, it is a red because it was dangerous even though the Sheffield player stuck his leg there rather than Dahoud going for his leg.
This is my take too, and I also think Dahoud attempted to shield ball not expecting the Sheffield player to get their leg there first, considering they had to stick it out behind them.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I also strongly disagree. He’s taken time to adjust, but there’s a good player in there and he’s certainly an upgrade on Gilmour. He’s not had a decent run of games which doesn’t help matters either.
Upgrade on Gilmour?!?!
You having a laugh, he needs to watch How Gilmour moves into space and always offers for the ball for a start.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Upgrade on Gilmour?!?!
You having a laugh, he needs to watch How Gilmour moves into space and always offers for the ball for a start.
I agree Gilmour moves into space very well, but as I have said before this is only when there is space and the midfield is open, isn’t very tight or congested. He isn’t strong enough to dictate play otherwise. In short I think he is quite a lightweight player. Good for some games, too weak for others.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Sorry, but that's totally different.

Fabinho, comes from behind and has no chance of playing the ball. He's nowhere near it, he's gone to ground, unlike Dahoud. It must be a red.

Dahoud's actions look to be consistent with someone trying to play the game. To me it's near identical to Rashford in the week. He's looking at the ball, he plants his foot, to protect it and give him give him leverage to get his pass off. The foot goes onto the leg fair enough, but there's no excessive force applied

I said on here after the Rashford sending off, that the rule should be something like .....

Where the player carries out a

a) "normal footballing action" consistent with someone trying to play the ball and
b) The player has a realistic chance of playing the ball and
c) where there's no clear recklessness for the opponents safety and
d) there is no excessive force applied,

The action should not be considered serious fair play.

Rashford and Dahoud should have stayed on

Fabinho should have gone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here