Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

abc

Jan 6, 2007
And I agree with this - I think most of them do though and are prepared to go to court or prison to pay the price

When any State however (and we are not there yet!) starts indiscriminately jailing people for peaceful political activism - it is necessary to take a long hard look at the degree to which jailing political activists is being used as a tool of oppression as it is in many parts of the world - this issue is CC and we are lucky we still have freedom to protest but it is a lot more restricted than it used to be and one day, we all might want to protest against a government policy that has a deeply negative impact on our lives but find our ability to do so has all but diminished. We can disagree with the tactics, even disagree with the POV but disagree with the right to protest, I believe we must not.
I do agree but "being jailed after blocking roads, disrupting court proceedings and in one case climbing on top of an aeroplane" may be peaceful in the sense they didnt hit anyone but its not standing with a placard outside a gov building. Also it wont have been a first offence for those jailed. They make their choice and have to take the consequences.. And many will say 'well done them' for standing up for their cause when most of don't go much further than debating on social media!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do agree but "being jailed after blocking roads, disrupting court proceedings and in one case climbing on top of an aeroplane" may be peaceful in the sense they didnt hit anyone but its not standing with a placard outside a gov building. Also it wont have been a first offence for those jailed. They make their choice and have to take the consequences.. And many will say 'well done them' for standing up for their cause when most of don't go much further than debating on social media!
Rapists not sent to prison but protestors are, the excuse being prisons are overcrowded.
The Home Office directives are farcical. It will be an offence to give homeless people a tent very soon.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Rapists not sent to prison but protestors are, the excuse being prisons are overcrowded.
The Home Office directives are farcical. It will be an offence to give homeless people a tent very soon.
People seem to think that the only civil liberty here being curtailed is people not being able to drive through a road block of people to get to work etc - much more is at stake - every time there are major political issues in this Country, followed by mass direct action, it is followed almost invariably by more curtailment of the right to protest/strike/march etc

- it’s our very right to protest under threat - especially since Cruella Braverman introduced draconian new changes to the right to protest back in June that were rejected by Parliament yet subsequently forced through by the executive in the form of statutory instruments thereby circumventing parliamentary scrutiny.

but its not standing with a placard outside a gov building
Static demos are now under new policing laws treated the same as protest marches, so the police can impose the same conditions on a static demo as they can impose on a protest march. There are restrictions imposed particularly in the vicinity of government property (‘controlled areas’)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People seem to think that the only civil liberty here being curtailed is people not being able to drive through a road block of people to get to work etc - much more is at stake - every time there are major political issues in this Country, followed by mass direct action, it is followed almost invariably by more curtailment of the right to protest/strike/march etc

- it’s our very right to protest under threat - especially since Cruella Braverman introduced draconian new changes to the right to protest back in June that were rejected by Parliament yet subsequently forced through by the executive in the form of statutory instruments thereby circumventing parliamentary scrutiny.

Static demos are now under new policing laws treated the same as protest marches, so the police can impose the same conditions on a static demo as they can impose on a protest march. There are restrictions imposed particularly in the vicinity of government property (‘controlled areas’)

SB has been taken to court several times, and her defence is paid for by us!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is nonsense surely?

Is there an example of a convicted rapist being given a non-custodial sentence?
Not yet (as far as I know) but there was stuff in the press a few weeks ago suggesting it could happen……(think it refrperred more to those on bail rather than convicted perhaps)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And people thought Priti Patel was bad ! The idea that you should remove the ability from homeless people using a tent to shelter from the elements is nothing short of disgusting ( I wish I could think of a stronger word ). So instead they need to just lie on cardboard. 99% of homeless people are not sleeping on the streets by choice. Maybe Braverman should be forced to spend a month homeless. There a few heartless, vile human beings in the UK at the moment than her.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not yet (as far as I know) but there was stuff in the press a few weeks ago suggesting it could happen……(think it refrperred more to those on bail rather than convicted perhaps)

Yes, they have been told to delay hearings until the backlog is clear - which means those charged with offences will remain on bail until then.

There’s no suggestion that judges have been asked to give convicted criminals non-custodial sentences for crimes that automatically get a custodial - the instruction is just to delay the sentencing hearing - although a Judge asked hypothetically whether a convicted rapist might end up being given a non-custodial sentence if the prison becomes full.

I can’t see that happening though - the convicted offenders getting a custodial to protect the public (rather than just for punishment) will be prioritised- probably worth remembering that defendants can be released on bail with very strict conditions like staying at an approved premises or bail hostel, subject to curfews, electronic tagged, reporting to a police station frequently etc - people charged with rape, won’t just be let out into the community and asked to come to court for a sentencing hearing when there’s a room at the local joint - they would be subject to strict bail conditions including restraining orders, curfews and tagging.

Perhaps a start would be to stop clogging our prisons up with people who have unpaid fines, council tax debt, unpaid TV licences and those who make a peaceful protest ..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Poor reporting. There's no indication that people convicted of serious crimes will avoid prison, there would be absolute uproar if that happened, it's just a daft suggestion.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Perhaps a start would be to stop clogging our prisons up with people who have unpaid fines, council tax debt, unpaid TV licences and those who make a peaceful protest ..
Agree with the first (deleted) bit. The quote above is debatable.

Does anyone have examples of prison sentences for any of the above?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
And I agree with this - I think most of them do though and are prepared to go to court or prison to pay the price

When any State however (and we are not there yet!) starts indiscriminately jailing people for peaceful political activism - it is necessary to take a long hard look at the degree to which jailing political activists is being used as a tool of oppression as it is in many parts of the world - this issue is CC and we are lucky we still have freedom to protest but it is a lot more restricted than it used to be and one day, we all might want to protest against a government policy that has a deeply negative impact on our lives but find our ability to do so has all but diminished. We can disagree with the tactics, even disagree with the POV but disagree with the right to protest, I believe we must not.
We're going around in circles within bigger circles. As I said earlier in this discussion, their protests are not peaceful. Forcing people to miss appointments, flights, or just stopping them going to work or picking up their kids, whatever, is highly aggressive and unethical behaviour. And I'd say to the previous guy that this is nothing to do with the 'rabid right wing press' or the rabid left wing press for that matter. A plague on both their houses. A big majority of people in this country are strongly against these tactics, and you don't have to read a newspaper to form an opinion on something as self-evidently undemocratic and as brutish as this.

Again, it's been said before here several times but the tragedy of JSO is that they alienate people like me who strongly support action on climate change but find their bullying tactics bordering on a weird sort of fluffy fascism. I'll keep arguing the green case but the JSO rabble can all rot in jail as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty certain that this discussion will be repeating these arguments forever, alternating with the "the tactics might seem wrong but there is no alternative" argument. So for that reason, I'm reaching for the Ignore Thread button, and will leave you to it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, it’s for the unpaid fines you receive by the courts for failure to pay tv licence council tax etc

Surprised you’ve never heard of people being imprisoned for unpaid fines!

(I know this is just blowing air on an internet forum but I try and avoid typing stuff that isn’t true as a rule 😉)
I realise it's a possibility, I wasn't sure of the numbers and if judges actually use it.

This article is suggesting less than 100, I bet there's far fewer for unpaid tv license. So yes it's true but you've added the hyperbole of "clogging the prisons up". It's not.

You also mentioned peaceful protesters. Nobody is in prison for peaceful protest.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I miss (‘Now and Then’!) Swansman’s contributions to this forum - although his views on some things were a bit ‘out there’ (and in a few latter posts on a specific issue, far less than acceptable) - overall, I largely agreed with what he had to say and for one enjoyed his intelligent discourse on a wide diversity of stuff, knowledge of football and very unique perspectives.

Good god no. Bloke was a first class knob. So far up his own arse, I'm sure he never saw the sun.

Bombarded every single thread with his pizza driven, dope fuelled, knife wielding tirades about anything and everything, of which, he was THE foremost authority on in the world. And that includes BHAFC per many of his posts ( which he's never seen live). Derailed threads more often than Biden forgets his autocue lines.

Not even mentioning his racist spoutings. The board is a lot better with him gone imo.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Good god no. Bloke was a first class knob. So far up his own arse, I'm sure he never saw the sun.

Bombarded every single thread with his pizza driven, dope fuelled, knife wielding tirades about anything and everything, of which, he was THE foremost authority on in the world. And that includes BHAFC per many of his posts ( which he's never seen live). Derailed threads more often than Biden forgets his autocue lines.

Not even mentioning his racist spoutings. The board is a lot better with him gone imo.
You didn’t think very highly of him then?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That became obvious in his latter posts and as I said was less than acceptable- but I enjoyed his input on many things. I tend to focus on the good in people if I can - even when others might find it hard to see.

With real connections here to Ukraine, I simply couldn’t do that. Vile, snide postings. A wonderful relief when the Mods dealt with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here