Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

just how rough is Whitehawk?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Indeed. I ended up in Blackbird Leys by mistake after three or four pints at lunchtime. Not a very nice place, to put it mildly. Burnt out cars, gangs looking for trouble, poverty and destitution. Every girl between the age of 11-15 had at least one baby - I think it was compulsory. I have never met anyone else that has been to Blackbird Leys. Perhaps I am the only one to have survived!
Interesting thread:rolleyes:
I was bought up in whitehawk and it was o.k,but that was quiet a few years ago now.Then lived in moulscoombe for many years and still stay there now when im down.Lived in whitley here for 10+years and thats also a rough hole.I would say moulscoombe is way ahead.You won't really know much unless you're around at night times as during the day is very decieving.

I have also been to blackbird leys in which oxfords stadium is bang there although not for the footer.,it is a rough hole but also has a fair few to many immigrants there now.

In all every town and city has rough area's and it isn't goner get any better:D

Went on the lash in hull with a mate and met some birds who invited us to a party,so we got a taxi only for the driver to say its very rough and they hate cockneys:laugh:in the end we had a ruck with 6 idiots ha ha.Thats a weird place:whisky:

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
My brother lives in Whitehawk Way, I stayed there for a couple of nights recently, its not exactly Millionaires Row, but the locals seemed quite friendly to me. A few rough kids wandering about, like many places, but didnt see anything too unusual.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To put this into a bit of context, Brighton's estates may have their rough edges, but statistically speaking, they're safer than a lot of city estates.

Nottingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham- all have serious problems with gun crime, murders and so on.

Brighton gets the odd one or two, but- touch wood- not remotely on that scale. You're a lot safer here than in many places. The problems locally tend to be more low level (but still really annoying) anti-social stuff.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
I'm a delivery driver and have to do a few drops round there, not had or seen trouble yet. At night, well I really aint guna hang about and find out...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Every town in the country has its rough areas , I grew up in Whitehawk back in the 70s and even then you were streetwise and knew that certain parts of the estate were dodgy. The criminal element nowadays have associations with drugs which makes it even more dangerous for the "normal" citizens. I thought that Asda only did deliveries up to a certain time anyway , so there must be problems with daytime deliveries with stuff being nicked off the van whilst they are taking shopping up the path to a customers front door.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The article in the Argus mentions that the delivery drivers have faced physical/verbal abuse whilst out on their rounds. Asda has a zero tolerance policy on this which is why they've stopped home delivery. After a period of time the situation will be reviewed , I also read the comments to the article where somebody said that the Asda employees who were affected by the ban could easily do their shopping after work. If you dont have a car then having your weekly shop delivered is an alternative to getting a taxi.

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
I worked in Runcorn a few years ago when i asked a local the best place to have a drink he said speaking like a southerner in your hotel it will be safer
Then he said it isnt too bad here we only have 1 murder a week on average

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I worked in Runcorn a few years ago when i asked a local the best place to have a drink he said speaking like a southerner in your hotel it will be safer
Then he said it isnt too bad here we only have 1 murder a week on average

I've been in Runcorn and it didn't seem -that- bad, just really really grim.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
mate it really unfortunately doesnt work like that, have you ever lived on a rough estate?

yes and no, i lived for 5 years in a nice part of Bermondsey (???) were people came out and confronted kids mucking about and told them to piss off before trouble happened. no vandalism or graffitti in the area, a car left in the car park for over 2 years with out any molestation, only saw police for patrols and the occasional domestic.

there's an image that once upon a time there was honor amongst theifs, dont crap on your own door step etc. my experince is that this really did exist and still does in places. but today kids have no respect or fear of authority. not helping the police in their enquiries concerning career criminals has been misplaced as dont grass on thugs and vandals. problem is the estates have dozens of the little shits running around, not serious criminals who move away to nice area. if the community acts as one in shopping petty vandals, they cant come and terrorise an individual. maybe harking back to an old romantic idea, but look at the stupidity of keeping quiet when its kids getting shot.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hmmmmmm ginger hair all over.............You sure it wasn't a fox you pulled?

Foxy lady but I was making the point she was ginger down under as well - unusual

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Willowhayne estate around East Preston is well rough. When I lived there a few years ago there was 3 instances of milk going missing off doorsteps.
Our local vicar said it was probably druggies.

It's much better since I moved out in 2005. Although I did hear that a lady reported a blade of grass out of place just the other week.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
My mum used to work in a residential care home in Whitehawk and I don't think she ever had, or saw, any trouble whatsoever.

I'm only suprised it hasn't started to become gentrified by people pushing the boundaries of Kemptown eastwards...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...Then lived in moulscoombe for many years and still stay there now when im down....

"Many years" and yet you don't know how to spell it? Have you ever actually been to the place. It strikes me as particularly odd as you make Moulsecoomb sound like some sort of bandit country when in fact it's a perfectly ordinary place.

I spent most of my childhood and youth in Moulsecoomb - I didn't move out until I was 25. It had (and still has) its share of idiots but nothing major. Most nights in my teens and 20s, I walked home and saw no trouble whatsoever. I still stroll through the place from time to time and, if anything, it's got a bit smarter since I lived there.

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
Every town in the country has its rough areas , I grew up in Whitehawk back in the 70s and even then you were streetwise and knew that certain parts of the estate were dodgy. The criminal element nowadays have associations with drugs which makes it even more dangerous for the "normal" citizens. I thought that Asda only did deliveries up to a certain time anyway , so there must be problems with daytime deliveries with stuff being nicked off the van whilst they are taking shopping up the path to a customers front door.

We deliver until 9pm. In the two weeks we did deliver to Whitehawk, two drivers were attacked and another had some shopping stolen. In the three months we have delivered elsewhere, we have had one minor theft and no attacks. Go figure.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Those kind of estates are strange, get a weird dickhead to community spirit ratio. I lived in Bewbush in Crawley until I was about 8 and also had a girlfriend who lived there when I was 18. Somepeople were just scumbags who didn't respect anyone and others seemed to genuinely have a sense of a working class community that should stick together.

I think the thing about these sort of estates is they are so polarised and therefore can't just be judged as shit holes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People shouldn't get too carried away by what they read and hear.

I lived in Liverpool from 1989 to 1992, not all that long after the riots, and when places like Toxteth were synonimous with urban violence.

I lived in a place called Aigburth which is pretty ordinary [rows of terraced houses] but the route from there into town was directly through Toxteth and Dingle [where they filmed Bread].

We would regularly walk the 3 miles home at 2 or 3am and literally not ONCE did we see a moments trouble in Toxteth. Sure its grim as f*** to look at, but that's about it. There was actually a lot more violent crime in Dingle, but it was all to do with some big family / gang feud and they only seemed to target each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here