[Albion] Just getting fed up with our inability to win a big game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never. We’re very happy at the moment. All rosy. Currently looking like a 17th European campaign in 18 seasons.

2 of my mates who are Spurs fans nabbed tickets for todays game because Brighton cannot sell out a bloody huge game in terms of European qualification enjoyed it though.
No need to worry Wembley will sell out 😜

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don’t agree with the OP, for the reasons already mentioned. A few good wins that jump to mind:

Hughton’s wins over United
The Palace win when we had 10 men.
Connolly’s big game against Spurs
Doing the north London away double in back to back games last season.
Beating United in the opening game of the season at their place, when they have a new manager
One result that really stood out at the time, and I know they are bad, but how we put Leicester to the sword and clinically destroyed them earlier this season.
Smashing Potter when he returned to the Amex.
Our remarkable record against West Ham.

One thing I haven’t seen said though is all points are worth the same. Take Fulham, as a rule, beat the teams they should beat, but are useless against the top 4.

Unlike us, we have a very decent record against the traditional top 6, but usually, can’t beat the teams relegation zone.

At the end of the season, it doesn’t matter where it you get the points from, as long as we have them.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
No need to worry Wembley will sell out 😜
And so it should.

Like the Leverkusen profile photo by the way. Assume you head out there? Imagine we’ll have mutual friends if so.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I think there are just some teams that you just get that bad feeling about, Villa, Brentford, Fulham spring to mind of late (and Palace!). I think we went something like 10 games v Bournemouth not long ago before beating them. Let’s hope we can beat them in the week. Expect a tough game after their win today.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
We win a lot of big games.

There are some big games that we fail to win though.

Similarly, we win a lot of not-so-big games.

But there are also some not-so-big games that we fail to win.

Given these facts, my only conclusion is that we win some games, but fail to win others, in the most general way possible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A player who has played on the biggest stage in the world, takes a penalty in the 88th minute, as cool as you like.
I was SO happy Ali Mac was on the pitch.

Otherwise I’d have been fully ready to see Pascal miss it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'll reply to you whose calling me entitled rather than that Spurs bloke - I'm one of the least entitled Brighton fans around and people who know my posting history on here will know that.

An entitled fan would expect to win that game and be pissed off we didn't. I didn't expect to win, I know how good Brentford are.

It's not about that, it's not about our league position and being annoyed we haven't got more points. It's about that feeling of going into a real, proper, six pointer battle against a great team and coming out victorius, I want that feeling. Brentford and Fulham have had it three times between them against us this season. Sure we can beat the lines of Man U and Liverpool and enjoy beating the name of the team we've beat, but games like today are the real battle.

Oh, and it's not a kneejerk thing, been thinking this for a while now. Coming out victorious against a team playing well isn't something we do that often.
I got as far as ‘I’m one of the least entitled Brighton fans around’ then you lost me, because you’re most certainly being entitled tonight.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
82C131A6-2085-42F5-B775-4B9CA6A878A6.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course we've had some good wins - some cracking wins in fact - this season. Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Leicester to name but four, and never mind previous seasons.
I can see the OP's point though - have we won enough (or any) real six-pointers. In many ways our real and closest rivals in this seasons campaign are Brentford and Fulham. In four matches - effectively four six-pointers - against them we've played the better football - but dropped 11 out of 12 points. That really is f*****g annoying!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Particularly when they are playing 7th placed teams!
Possibly. Has anyone actually looked into this? We do draw and lose to other places teams as well.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Yes. We don't have good wins. Fulham did when they beat us. Everton did when they beat Arsenal. Bournemouth did today when they beat Fulham. I can't think of a really 'good win' we've had in five seasons, and no one has pointed one out yet
You are talking absolute nonsense:

Last season: Spurs had won four on the spin and 6 out of 7 when we beat them at their stadium.

Arsenal battling with Spurs for CL had won 6 of their previous 8 and we also beat them away.

Brentford lost only one of their opening 6 games last season - to us.

West Ham pushing for Europa league football off the back of an excellent season we beat them.

I can’t be bothered going further back as you clearly aren’t an actual Brighton fan but I enjoyed making you look like an idiot.

P.s. Chelsea had been unbeaten under Potter (9 games) until the game to the Amex and we pumped them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a Brighton fan of too many years, I expected to lose that game as it played out. I am very grateful we got a point :shrug:

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Possibly. Has anyone actually looked into this? We do draw and lose to other places teams as well.
My comment was more general, I wasn't bemoaning the fact that we always struggle against the teams around us, more that if the 6th and 7th teams play each other anywhere any league, there's a goodish chance of it maybe being a draw.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The OP must have a very short memory!

We actually are in a bit of a mini slump with not being able to turn our dominance into big wins since early Jan, with the exception of the West Ham 4-0. We went through a similar bad patch last season at exactly the same time, except that that resulted in losing 6 on the bounce. If we come out of this patch in the same manner as we did last season then top 4 is ours for the taking!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok, ok, but apart from Liverpool and Chelsea

Liverpool twice.

Yes, ok Liverpool twice.
So apart from Liverpool, twice, and Chelsea, when was the last time we won against a big team?

Arsenal?
Man United?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports