Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine going through all this only to find out he doesn't clap the fans, when an unused substitute.

Oh the humanity.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Looks like he has really developed over the last few months. If Sarmiento can feature so can he. Looks fantastically exciting.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Has there been any mention of if he currently speaks any English?

If he stays at Brighton he'll have Bruno, Sanchez, Sarmiento, Caiceido, Mac Allister, Alzate to help him settle into a new city and culture.
Rather that ship him out to a Championship side or abroad I can see him staying around The Amex and Lancing until January when a further decision would be taken based on what is best for him.
That seems to be the most common sense approach, but what do I know? (zero)

The Albion shipped Caiciedo out to Belgium for both regular game time and to learn English because we were told that English is widely spoken in Belgian clubs dressing rooms. With Undav and Kitoma departing USG, I'm sure the Paraguay Pup would be a welcome addition to their attack.
Particularly if he is on the borderline for UK work permit points.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

If he stays at Brighton he'll have Bruno, Sanchez, Sarmiento, Caiceido, Mac Allister, Alzate to help him settle into a new city and culture.
Rather that ship him out to a Championship side or abroad I can see him staying around The Amex and Lancing until January when a further decision would be taken based on what is best for him.

There was a little feature with Bruno on the club site very recently talking about the group of Spanish speaking players at the club and how they help the new guys fit in and learn English. Could see that being a positive factor for future Spanish speaking players when they are thinking of joining.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Can't see that happening as the Paraguayan league is as shit as it gets from a work permit perspective.

USG is probably a good guess.

As I said before if he doesn’t get the 15 points we will apply for an exemption to the points based system based on the fact he’s a promising youth player. The fact he’s playing full international football at 18 and is likely to be only a few points short of the 15 required, it should make the exemption almost certain to be granted.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As I said before if he doesn’t get the 15 points we will apply for an exemption to the points based system based on the fact he’s a promising youth player. The fact he’s playing full international football at 18 and is likely to be only a few points short of the 15 required, it should make the exemption almost certain to be granted.

Possibly the only tangible Brexit benefit? (Loosening of the work permit rules for non-EU players)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Possibly the only tangible Brexit benefit? (Loosening of the work permit rules for non-EU players)

The rules were always set by the FA. As a part of having to re-write the rules as EU players no longer automatically qualified for work permits they gave more weight to the continental competitions in South American, meaning they got the same points as the Champions League etc. This does mean it is easier to get to 15 points for players playing in South America if they are playing at the highest level over there.

However in the case of Enciso the talented youth player exemption process has always existed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

That seems to be the most common sense approach, but what do I know? (zero)

The Albion shipped Caiciedo out to Belgium for both regular game time and to learn English because we were told that English is widely spoken in Belgian clubs dressing rooms. With Undav and Kitoma departing USG, I'm sure the Paraguay Pup would be a welcome addition to their attack.
Particularly if he is on the borderline for UK work permit points.

If he didn't already speak English, it's worth adding that he nearly signed in January and, even though he didn't, he would have been aware of our continued interest, so seems likely that he might have gone on a crash course.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If he didn't already speak English, it's worth adding that he nearly signed in January and, even though he didn't, he would have been aware of our continued interest, so seems likely that he might have gone on a crash course.

This is from a profile/interview last summer >>
"Off the pitch, Enciso has been busy learning English in anticipation of a move to Europe further down the line."
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/enc...g-most-valuable-born-in-2004/view/news/388444

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

No as that was always set by individual states anyway. That's why if the player can't obtain a UK permit the Albion send them to Belgium as Belgium, despite being in the EU, has laxer requirements for footballers than the UK.

However it did mean we can't sign promising European players until they're 18 now (so with post Brexit rules we wouldn't have been able to sign big Bobby Sanchez the way we did).

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
No as that was always set by individual states anyway. That's why if the player can't obtain a UK permit the Albion send them to Belgium as Belgium, despite being in the EU, has laxer requirements for footballers than the UK.

However it did mean we can't sign promising European players until they're 18 now (so with post Brexit rules we wouldn't have been able to sign big Bobby Sanchez the way we did).

At least we get cheaper fish :fishing:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see that the 3rd Champions League qualifying round fixtures are on 2nd / 9th August. Genk were in the same position a year ago and played their first friendly on 3rd July 2021, so you'd expect pre-season to have started at least 2 weeks before that.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason the Albion have moved quickly is so the player will be available for USG in time for their pre-season, which will start much earlier than the Albions. They've lost Mitoma and Undav so are currently well short on attacking players. This could mean that both Enciso and Kozlowski - if he remains there - will get decent game time.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Damn. I thought I had one there. Back to searching.

I've genuinely got one: VAT on women's sanitary products has been reduced to 0% since January 2021; but when we were in the EU, the minimum rate we could apply was 5%. It's quite ironic given that the demographic that this tax saving of 10p per box of tampons benefits - under 45s women - were 63% pro EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here