[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given they could be making £100m this summer from a £15m punt and a £13m punt - I’d argue it’s going very well indeed

We’re in safe hands, Tony Bloom will have all the analysis in the world on these punts. We can’t compete with the cash other clubs can throw at players, but we can compete and win at finding hidden the gems in obscure places.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not criticising the club (unlike a few on here I could mention) - I'm just sort of staggered at the sheer size of these punts! ...... and yes, I do know about one of the ways that TB gathers in money!
Maybe I'll relax a bit when we start selling the likes of Caicedo or Kozlowski or Enciso (assuming he comes) for £50M+ appiece!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That's as maybe - and I hope you're right (though I doubt we'll be raking in as much as £100M, but a decent wedge, yes). But - and I appreciate you're tacitly acknowledging it - we're still talking of punts! Biss in 2023 for nothing anyone?

The £100m could be made up of these players.

Clarke £5m - West Brom
Duffy £4m - Blackburn
Connolly £4m - USG
Trossard £45m - Barcelona
Zeqiri £6m - The Germans
Bissouma £36m - Monaco

There are two of three we’d not want to sell but Sarmiento, Khadra and Enciso are great cover for Trossard and Bissouma is basically gone according to most.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some people still calling for TB to get his money out to buy a £40M (give or take) striker - but we're spending huge amounts on punts. It's one thing buying promising youngsters with a view to them making the first team or (more likely) to be sold on to play at a decent level with the club pocketing a bit of profit - but making £10M punts (if that is the amount the club is shelling out) is an enormously risky gambit, it seems to me.
We've moved on a few recently - fees undisclosed, of course, but credible sources putting the fees at +/- £1M ................... we're going to have to go a lot higher than that with the likes of Enciso, Kozlowski, etc. - not to mention Mac, Caicedo and Moder for example. Seems like a high risk strategy to me - I know our recruitment team are good - but just [Ihow[/I] good?
FWIW, I think this lad needs to go out on loan - in the UK - and do well. He needs to generate a Ben White level of noise for the gamble to pay off!

I might be worried if we didn't have a man in charge whose mathematical algorithms can be used alongside player data to turn betting on football from a gamble into a probabilistic assessment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And he’s a year older too but the glib reaction from some fans (loaned to USG ! ) could also be wide of the mark. There’s other options as last year showed us with Sima (champ loan), Caicedo and Sarmiento.
Potter had a 17 year old on the bench for much of last season too…

Not the lad's fault, I know (and no-one else's either, as far as I know) - but probably best not citing Sima's loan as a recommendation of the club's loan policy! And certainly don't ask Stoke fans' opinions..............!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The £100m could be made up of these players.

Clarke £5m - West Brom
Duffy £4m - Blackburn
Connolly £4m - USG
Trossard £45m - Barcelona
Zeqiri £6m - The Germans
Bissouma £36m - Monaco

There are two of three we’d not want to sell but Sarmiento, Khadra and Enciso are great cover for Trossard and Bissouma is basically gone according to most.
Bit over-optimistic there! We'll see in due course, of course - but I have got grave doubts about some of those figures, especially the ones at the lower end.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid,

Not the lad's fault, I know (and no-one else's either, as far as I know) - but probably best not citing Sima's loan as a recommendation of the club's loan policy! And certainly don't ask Stoke fans' opinions..............!

A loan to a championship club (like Sima), a loan to USG (Caicedo) or straight into the squad or starting with the u23s are all potential models for Enciso . Moder (a loan back) - have all been tried recently and hard to judge what club will do but it’s not obviously a loan out id say.
Well aware Sima didn’t come off due to injuries.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A loan to a championship club is a different option than a loan to USG or straight into the squad or starting with the u23s are all potential models for Enciso . Hard to judge I’d say.
Well aware Sima didn’t come off due to injuries.
Yes, I am as well aware that a loan to the Championship is different to a spell in the U23s as you are aware that Sima's loan was dogged by injurues!

Hopefully (if Enciso comes) what he does in pre-season will presumably decide which option GP decides will be the best option. With far less knowledge or information than the people that actually run things, I would opt for a loan in the UK. FWIW.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The club have been good with our selection of loans. Pretty content they’ll find the right option. Seems unlikely he’ll get a work permit anyway so will have to be abroad.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid,

Some people still calling for TB to get his money out to buy a £40M (give or take) striker - but we're spending huge amounts on punts. It's one thing buying promising youngsters with a view to them making the first team or (more likely) to be sold on to play at a decent level with the club pocketing a bit of profit - but making £10M punts (if that is the amount the club is shelling out) is an enormously risky gambit, it seems to me.
We've moved on a few recently - fees undisclosed, of course, but credible sources putting the fees at +/- £1M ................... we're going to have to go a lot higher than that with the likes of Enciso, Kozlowski, etc. - not to mention Mac, Caicedo and Moder for example. Seems like a high risk strategy to me - I know our recruitment team are good - but just [Ihow[/I] good?
FWIW, I think this lad needs to go out on loan - in the UK - and do well. He needs to generate a Ben White level of noise for the gamble to pay off!

We are currently operating in very difficult markets successfully which if we start to shift on for increased sums would seem like a low risk approach.

One thing is for sure is more money does not mean lower risk look at the money Chelsea have sunk into Lukaku who is now pushing to go back on loan to Inter with Chelsea unlikely to recoup anywhere near what they paid for him.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
FWIW, I think this lad needs to go out on loan - in the UK - and do well. He needs to generate a Ben White level of noise for the gamble to pay off![/Fancy Tony bloom have a policy that is an ‘enormously risky gambit’
Who would have thought he would take a gamble?

Fancy Tony bloom have a policy that is an ‘enormously risky gambit’

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are currently operating in very difficult markets successfully which if we start to shift on for increased sums would seem like a low risk approach.

One thing is for sure is more money does not mean lower risk look at the money Chelsea have sunk into Lukaku who is now pushing to go back on loan to Inter with Chelsea unlikely to recoup anywhere near what they paid for him.
Sure as hell it doesn't! Let's hope we never do a Pogba!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.........FWIW, I think this lad needs to go out on loan - in the UK - and do well. He needs to generate a Ben White level of noise for the gamble to pay off![/............Fancy Tony bloom have a policy that is an ‘enormously risky gambit’

Fancy Tony bloom have a policy that is an ‘enormously risky gambit’
Quoting posts not your forte then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Is Lukaku the new Joelinton?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Some really good moments in this showreel:

https://youtu.be/vWKvR2JgzQo

His shooting prowess has been obvious for a while but he appears to be very good at pressing and playing that final ball (assist) as well as being constantly hacked down.

He had pace and skill in abundance.

Could he convert his form to the EPL if we signed him?

He could be a very exciting player indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports