Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joy Division

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Of all the bands I’ve seen over the years it all started with them. As a young lad, first gig, felt physically sick with the noise.

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For a debut album, Unknown Pleasures is only rivalled in greatness by Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons.
Closer is magnificent and is most certainly the best album ever. New Order had their moments but never really reached the same heights.

My Top 5 JD tracks:
Dead Souls
New Dawn Fades
Heart and Soul
A Means to an End
Decades

I adore the first few years of New Order too. I think because I was too young to remember JD whilst Ian was alive or see them live, I wasn’t ‘hooked’ solely to their acoustic based post punk sound. I already loved synths, drum machines and dance, so it felt natural to adore both bands. So many great New Order songs, this is lovely. New Order at Portsmouth Guildhall is the best gig we ever did.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I adore the first few years of New Order too. I think because I was too young to remember JD whilst Ian was alive or see them live, I wasn’t ‘hooked’ solely to their acoustic based post punk sound. I already loved synths, drum machines and dance, so it felt natural to adore both bands. So many great New Order songs, this is lovely. New Order at Portsmouth Guildhall is the best gig we ever did.

I'm confused... what "acoustic based post punk sound"? I can't recall any acoustic Joy Division tracks?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

My favourite NO release is the Factus8 1981-82 EP. Although I love the live recordings of the tracks, I wasn't a huge fan of Movement, which was really the band trying to continue Curtis's legacy and also suffered from poor production. Factus 8 marked their development into a new incarnation away from the ghost of Joy Division. Temptation, Procession, EGG all superb.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of my favourite gigs I've ever attended - New Order at Central London Polytechnic in 1985. They opened with Atmosphere!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My favourite NO release is the Factus8 1981-82 EP. Although I love the live recordings of the tracks, I wasn't a huge fan of Movement, which was really the band trying to continue Curtis's legacy and also suffered from poor production, but Factus 8 marked their development into a new incarnation away from the ghost of Joy Division. Temptation, Procession, EGG all superb.

I love Movement, possibly because I was at that teenage impressionable age where you fall in love with music forever. Unknowing and not bothered that writers such as Burchill slagged it off at the time, now they all love it.

Those three singles are all incredible.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I love Movement, possibly because I was at that teenage impressionable age where you fall in love with music forever. Unknowing and not bothered that writers such as Burchill slagged it off at the time, now they all love it.

Those three singles are all incredible.
The CD reissue of Movement from a few years ago, which also contained a separate disc with all those tracks and Ceremony etc, is a thing of beauty.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For a debut album, Unknown Pleasures is only rivalled in greatness by Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons.
Closer is magnificent and is most certainly the best album ever. New Order had their moments but never really reached the same heights.

My Top 5 JD tracks:
Dead Souls
New Dawn Fades
Heart and Soul
A Means to an End
Decades
Mine:

Decades
New Dawn Fades
LWTUA
Atmosphere
24 Hours
Something Must Break

Ok, that's six but whatevs..

Live though (from recordings) - there's only one: Transmission.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's frustrating there's so little decent footage of JD live. This short footage (four tracks including an incredible New Dawn Fades) from the Eindhoven gig in 1980 is the best I've found and gives a great idea of their power and intensity. I've no idea what it must have been like to have witnessed this.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's frustrating there's so little decent footage of JD live. This short footage (four tracks including an incredible New Dawn Fades) from the Eindhoven gig in 1980 is the best I've found and gives a great idea of their power and intensity. I've no idea what it must have been like to have witnessed this.

The Peel Sessions (no visual record of course) reveal an incredibly talented and original band, led by a great vocalist.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The CD reissue of Movement from a few years ago, which also contained a separate disc with all those tracks and Ceremony etc, is a thing of beauty.
Interesting. Movement is the only vinyl JD/NO record I haven't bought since on CD. And for that reason, it's still special when I listen to it. But maybe I should try the CD. Although somehow, when they put the extra tracks on it, I find it takes something away. Like having Blue Monday on one of the PCL issues.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Happy to be cast adrift in a burning funeral boat to the sound of this. It's to the sad news and the bad news that we lean in closer, to quote 'The Bell Hollow' (look 'em up).

I've walked with water, danced with fire, can't seem to take it anymore.

And then he was gone.

The whole trach is magnificent. To Hooky's bass and the drum at the end.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting. Movement is the only vinyl JD/NO record I haven't bought since on CD. And for that reason, it's still special when I listen to it. But maybe I should try the CD. Although somehow, when they put the extra tracks on it, I find it takes something away. Like having Blue Monday on one of the PCL issues.
I don't like it when they do that either, but they are on separate discs. One is Movement (remastered), the other the rest of their pre-PCL releases.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Best studio moment. For me.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports