Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Trott on his way home

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest, if he had gone home with Crohn's Disease, (as suffered by Darren Fletcher at United) or something similar, would you have said he'd left England in the lurch?

Mental illness is as debilitating as a physical one, attitudes to it are however completely different. I've just heard Kieswetter saying that Trott wasn't the 'type you'd expect to suffer from this', which is revealing, as is there is still a belief that it only affects what we perceive to be weak-minded individuals, whereas in reality it can strike down anyone, just as cancer can.

My wife has Crohn's Disease. She works 4 days per week, has two young children to bring up and is presently organising a Christmas High Street Fayre in a small town in Sussex. She manages her illness, as does her brother who works part-time but has Multiple Sclerosis. Thousands of people work and manage their health, and this involves planning ahead.

I think this works both ways. Yes, the wider population needs to be more understanding and aware of mental illness, but players who are not "fit for battle" should think twice about joining the fray.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't think he has left England in the lurch - he wasn't performing (nor in the summer either) - and now we understand better why. I hope he can get back to the top-level. His game is absolutely reliant on mental toughness (bat and bat and bat - take no risks).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think he has left England in the lurch - he wasn't performing (nor in the summer either) - and now we understand better why. I hope he can get back to the top-level. His game is absolutely reliant on mental toughness (bat and bat and bat - take no risks).

Interestingly, James Taylor toured Australia with England Lions last winter and was one of the few players to acquit himself well. He batted at No. 3 throughout that series. His not out century for Sussex vs. Australians in the summer was also handy. Given what we know now he probably should have gone to Australia.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope this fires Trott's team mates up a bit. Rip in to them England.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Whilst feeling sorry for trott, I think all this handwringing about Clarke and Anderson is pathetic. Anderson is the nastiest ******* on the circuit when he is bowling, that is a known fact and at the end of the day, sledging is part of getting into a batsman's head.

How would these current crop had fared against the likes of Lillie, Thomson, merge Hughes, chapelli, and the like. You have to mentally strong to face up to these type of players...swan is no shrinking violet either. We even had kev suggesting that the Aussies were bowling body line, because Mitchell was bowling fast and short at our poor little batsmen...FFS

If trott had a mental problem like trescothick he should have been assessed before they went out there...England have a army of hangers on who are there to do just that! Hopefully he can take his time and cut himself adrift for a while and recover ...and yes I do know what that is like having seen a friend totally losing it and support is pathetic in this country.

There you go

Hughes.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Am I the only one who has never heard of this bloke?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Interestingly, James Taylor toured Australia with England Lions last winter and was one of the few players to acquit himself well. He batted at No. 3 throughout that series. His not out century for Sussex vs. Australians in the summer was also handy. Given what we know now he probably should have gone to Australia.

I don't like myself for saying this as I'd normally argue it's irrelavent and I'm a great admirer of Taylor's talents with a bat in his hands. However, I just get a feeling he's a little meek and passive to be thrown into the heat of an Ashes battle.

Of the batsmen that have a had a go and not been taken on tour (Bopara, Compton, Taylor, Morgan), I think he's technically the best.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My wife has Crohn's Disease. She works 4 days per week, has two young children to bring up and is presently organising a Christmas High Street Fayre in a small town in Sussex. She manages her illness, as does her brother who works part-time but has Multiple Sclerosis. Thousands of people work and manage their health, and this involves planning ahead.

I think this works both ways. Yes, the wider population needs to be more understanding and aware of mental illness, but players who are not "fit for battle" should think twice about joining the fray.

I applaud your wife and brother for managing there health issues.. it seems that Trott has got to a point where he can no longer continue to manage his... we dont know all the ins and outs (no pun intended) and can only hope he finds a way forward

On a separate note is it only me who everytime I watch England bat think we will lose a wicket next ball

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sorry if I sound like an old phart (I am). More and more cricketers becoming mentally affected by what goes on out there. About time the rules forbade this crap sledging. If guys want that shit they should man up and be Gage Fighters. Yellow cards...Red cards and forceful umpiring is the answer. Best keep their mouths shut and let the bat and ball do the talking.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Sorry if I sound like an old phart (I am). More and more cricketers becoming mentally affected by what goes on out there. About time the rules forbade this crap sledging. If guys want that shit they should man up and be Gage Fighters. Yellow cards...Red cards and forceful umpiring is the answer. Best keep their mouths shut and let the bat and ball do the talking.

It's not the sledging.

It is the almost constant touring, playing highly pressurised matches one after the other, being away from your family for so long etc. If you are not enjoying what you are doing and you are away from your loved ones for extended periods, I am not surprised at all that people get depressed. There is more to life than playing International sport for a large wedge.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Warner did not know if Trotts illness but that isn't the point.
Just another cocky, big mouthed, classless Aussie most of them are the same.
Even though they are not so good at most sports these days as they once were they still refuse to shut their pie holes.
Clarke is another thicko as well, one win and he thinks he is Waugh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Warner did not know if Trotts illness but that isn't the point.
Just another cocky, big mouthed, classless Aussie most of them are the same.
Even though they are not so good at most sports these days as they once were they still refuse to shut their pie holes.
Clarke is another thicko as well, one win and he thinks he is Waugh.

I just could not imagine an England captain talking to an opposition player like Clarke did. Maybe it has happened but I have never heard of it.
They truly are a classless society. Absolutely no class whatsoever.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I just could not imagine an England captain talking to an opposition player like Clarke did. Maybe it has happened but I have never heard of it.
They truly are a classless society. Absolutely no class whatsoever.

Exactly, not just England but it seems that every other country that plays cricket manages to push the boundaries of sportsmanship whilst still playing the game in the manner it was intended even SA (I think)
Except the Aussies of course, I find them childish to be honest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The trash talk is all part of The Ashes, and in the same way that it can affect players like Trott it can also inspire others. Look at the way Anderson has improved since Justin Langer's dossier revealed the Aussies regarded him as mentally weak. Ditto the way Mitchell Johnson has bounced back from the Barmy Army's constant taunts.

The other thing is these Aussie players have not had it easy. Whereas our pundits have consisted of men who were regularly trounced by the Aussies - Hussain, Atherton, Butcher, Thorpe, Stewart etc the Australian pundits are all-conquering national heroes like Warne, Taylor, Slater, Ponting. Therefore, the England players have had nothing but admiration from our media, who have been used to defeat, whereas it has been the opposite for the Aussies. I expect this trend to begin to reverse itself over time, because the newer media commentators like Michael Vaughan and Freddie Flintoff won't hold back.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Exactly, not just England but it seems that every other country that plays cricket manages to push the boundaries of sportsmanship whilst still playing the game in the manner it was intended even SA (I think)
Except the Aussies of course, I find them childish to be honest.

Dale Steyn is becoming a cocky, foul mouthed little yob. Was fined 10% of his match fee for foul and abusive language yesterday. But generally the Saffers play the game in the right spirit, even though Mr Smith can be an ungracious arse.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The trash talk is all part of The Ashes, and in the same way that it can affect players like Trott it can also inspire others. Look at the way Anderson has improved since Justin Langer's dossier revealed the Aussies regarded him as mentally weak. Ditto the way Mitchell Johnson has bounced back from the Barmy Army's constant taunts.

The other thing is these Aussie players have not had it easy. Whereas our pundits have consisted of men who were regularly trounced by the Aussies - Hussain, Atherton, Butcher, Thorpe, Stewart etc the Australian pundits are all-conquering national heroes like Warne, Taylor, Slater, Ponting. Therefore, the England players have had nothing but admiration from our media, who have been used to defeat, whereas it has been the opposite for the Aussies. I expect this trend to begin to reverse itself over time, because the newer media commentators like Michael Vaughan and Freddie Flintoff won't hold back.

You mention Vaughan...he has now stated he regretted ''not holding back'' and apologised for his comments re Trott's batting performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here