Jonathan Obika

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Provision for gus pay off
Tarrico pay off
Oatway pay off
Training ground
Electronic advertising boards

You get paid to have the electronic advertising boards. They are a money maker and installed for free on a lease with revenue shared with the supplier

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You get paid to have the electronic advertising boards. They are a money maker and installed for free on a lease with revenue shared with the supplier

Barber has already stated that it cost 1 million to have them installed which was why it was done this summer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

And the training ground, asd that is FFP exempt.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Bad move by the club then as I know for a fact than other venues lease them with no upfront costs.

Perhaps if you can afford the million up front then you can negotiate the advertising yourself and cut out the middle man i.e. the board manufacturers and make more substantial profits ! Only a guess mind you but seems logical , and I would thought he is pretty shrewd on instances like this .

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bad move by the club then as I know for a fact than other venues lease them with no upfront costs.

Maybe it was decided in the long run they would make more money if we installed them ourselves, particularly if we reach the Premier League. I'm sure the deicision was made on a sound financial basis though.

Edit: Beaten!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think we can be fairly certain those grumbling that Obika isn't the sort of player we should be aspiring to are the same ones who also professed their deeply underwhelmed emotions at the signings of Ward- who's filled the glaring hole at full back perfectly competently- and Andrews- who came on last week, steadied the side, and contributed towards us coming back from a losing position.

For the love of God, why not give the bloke a chance. Who are we to say someone isn't big time enough for us. Perhaps we should have a register when we sign new players, of those who are happy to be supportive and those who are convinced having never seen someone play that they'll be utterly useless. That way we can all have a good laugh further down the line when one side or the other is proved right.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I think we can be fairly certain those grumbling that Obika isn't the sort of player we should be aspiring to are the same ones who also professed their deeply underwhelmed emotions at the signings of Ward- who's filled the glaring hole at full back perfectly competently- and Andrews- who came on last week, steadied the side, and contributed towards us coming back from a losing position.

For the love of God, why not give the bloke a chance. Who are we to say someone isn't big time enough for us. Perhaps we should have a register when we sign new players, of those who are happy to be supportive and those who are convinced having never seen someone play that they'll be utterly useless. That way we can all have a good laugh further down the line when one side or the other is proved right.

Well said and agree but they won't because it's not Messi and that's what the misguided expect.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

:thumbsup:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

:clap2:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

This is all far too sensible, but :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also- some young players mature later than others. Or might fit better into a different system than they're used to. Perhaps Obika will slot in nicely if/when he's used. I happen to think a young guy who has a bit of pace & athleticism- and enthusiasm- might fit in rather well next to Ulloa if it came down to it.

We've nothing to lose by him coming here, so come on guys, give the lad a prayer and don't write him off before he's even started.

Also consider that all three teams who got promoted last season did so with teams consisting of largely journeymen players, without big reputations. Cardiff had Bellamy, but he was there before, and they didn't sign Frazier Campbell until the end. I imagine plenty of people will struggle to name half the Hull team, while Palace had Zaha, but the rest of their squad was mostly average journeymen (it could even be argued that Murray was one previously, given his lower league history and lack of goals in 2011/12). Certainly no splash-the-cash signings.

On the other hand, Leicester (couple of million on Wood, million on Vardy etc), Forest (Simon Cox, Billy Sharp on loan etc), Blackburn (Jordan Rhodes, Danny Murphy, Kazim-Richards) snapped up the big names and went nowhere.

Worth bearing in mind?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I so feel this guy is gonna do the business for us!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Oh for a 'like' button

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
If it is Obika then obviously he deserves support. Does he provide adequate "cover" for Leo? That's the question. It's not just about giving him (Leo) 15 mins rest at the end of the match, he (Obika) may have to step in and cover injury/suspension. I appreciate that players may not fancy coming here to sit on the bench or that clubs may not wish to loan us a player that will not play so I suppose it's a small pool of choice. Tricky isn't it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Also- some young players mature later than others. Or might fit better into a different system than they're used to. Perhaps Obika will slot in nicely if/when he's used. I happen to think a young guy who has a bit of pace & athleticism- and enthusiasm- might fit in rather well next to Ulloa if it came down to it.

We've nothing to lose by him coming here, so come on guys, give the lad a prayer and don't write him off before he's even started.

Also consider that all three teams who got promoted last season did so with teams consisting of largely journeymen players, without big reputations. Cardiff had Bellamy, but he was there before, and they didn't sign Frazier Campbell until the end. I imagine plenty of people will struggle to name half the Hull team, while Palace had Zaha, but the rest of their squad was mostly average journeymen (it could even be argued that Murray was one previously, given his lower league history and lack of goals in 2011/12). Certainly no splash-the-cash signings.

On the other hand, Leicester (couple of million on Wood, million on Vardy etc), Forest (Simon Cox, Billy Sharp on loan etc), Blackburn (Jordan Rhodes, Danny Murphy, Kazim-Richards) snapped up the big names and went nowhere.

Worth bearing in mind?

this above your signature just made me burst out laughing.

Way way too sensible :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here