Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Obika

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
You also realise that Barber said that all the price increases were to ensure that we meet FFP guidelines AND that our budget is the same as last year? Well clearly, we haven't spent over £3m this year so I do have to ask, where has my money gone too?

It's been held back in case with have to pay Gus innit :censored:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
You also realise that Barber said that all the price increases were to ensure that we meet FFP guidelines AND that our budget is the same as last year? Well clearly, we haven't spent over £3m this year so I do have to ask, where has my money gone too?

Provision for gus pay off
Tarrico pay off
Oatway pay off
Training ground
Electronic advertising boards

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

I would say Barber was referring to "playing" budget (i.e. wages) and not "transfer" budget which is funded in a entirely separate way.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Remind me how many goals Zamora scored at Bristol Rovers or Ashley Barnes at Plymouth before they came to us on loan...

That is such a tiresome, much trotted out and ineffective argument, highlighted by the fact Zamora was 19 and played 4 games for Rovers. :facepalm: I'll remind you how many goals Nathan Elder, Johnny Dixon or Chris Holroyd scored before coming to us if you want. He'd be a good signing if we were still a struggling Lg1/2 side still like in the examples you gave but it's not much to expect us to do just a teeny bit better and no, we don't have to break the bank ala Sharp or Becchio. Obika is woeful, I'm sorry.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm... can't help feeling we were conned by Barber with this "budget similar to last year" BS, whilst hiking prices. A little underwhelmed by Obika; Nathan calling the shots here, I guess. Why not Oscar? I see in the Argus he expects to leverage his Barca contacts at some future stage; why not now? He has been here in a 'managerial' / coaching role with us as long as Nathan.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That is such a tiresome, much trotted out and ineffective argument, highlighted by the fact Zamora was 19 and played 4 games for Rovers. :facepalm: I'll remind you how many goals Nathan Elder, Johnny Dixon or Chris Holroyd scored before coming to us if you want. He'd be a good signing if we were still a struggling Lg1/2 side still like in the examples you gave but it's not much to expect us to do just a teeny bit better and no, we don't have to break the bank ala Sharp or Becchio. Obika is woeful, I'm sorry.

If he's so woeful why are most Charlton fans desperate to get him on loan again ?

He was great off the bench for them last season and he's a good backup choice for us in the short term.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why the hell can't we attract a half decent loan striker? Obika has hardly set the world on fire so far and doesn't seem likely to in future.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why the hell can't we attract a half decent loan striker? Obika has hardly set the world on fire so far and doesn't seem likely to in future.

It needs to be a player who is willing to sit on the bench and probably be third choice when Barnes is back.

Name me a good Champ level striker who is willing to be third choice.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Charlton fan I asked about him said he's very disappointed Obika won't be going back to the Valley

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Charlton fan I asked about him said he's very disappointed Obika won't be going back to the Valley

I'm sorry, but NSC has already informed me that I should be disappointed with this signing even though ive never seen him kick a football.

I don't want any your nonsense ruining that.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Blimey, give the poor guy a chance. He hasn't even kicked a ball for us in anger yet, but people on here are slagging him off.

I'll make my own mind up about him when I've seen him play a couple of times but until then I'm reserving judgement on him. Let's see for ourselves what he's about first.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey, give the poor guy a chance. He hasn't even kicked a ball for us in anger yet, but people on here are slagging him off.

I'll make my own mind up about him when I've seen him play a couple of times but until then I'm reserving judgement on him. Let's see for ourselves what he's about first.

We don't know that he's definitely coming here yet, although it seems likely.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
If he's so woeful why are most Charlton fans desperate to get him on loan again ?

He was great off the bench for them last season and he's a good backup choice for us in the short term.

Spoke to a spurs fan I know and he basically said the same. Did add that by now if he was any good, a championship side should have snapped him up, but said if we wanted someone big and strong to support Ulloa he was up to it.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2008– Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)
2009 → Yeovil Town (loan) 10 (4)
2009–2010 → Yeovil Town (loan) 22 (6)
2010 → Millwall (loan) 12 (2)
2010–2011 → Crystal Palace (loan) 7 (0)
2011 → Peterborough United (loan) 1 (1)
2011 → Swindon Town (loan) 5 (0)
2011 → Yeovil Town (loan) 11 (3)
2011–2012 → Yeovil Town (loan) 27 (4)
2013 → Charlton Athletic (loan) 10 (3

Inspiring career thus far.

He'll have the nickname 'Library Book' as he's always out on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here