Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Looks like we've been interested for a while.

Unveiling Veltman in conversation with Van der Meijde: 'Brighton really wanted me'

Published:*Tue 11/26/2019 at 8:38 PM

Joël Veltman was in the concrete interest of Brighton & Hove Albion last summer, he reveals in the YouTube show Bij Andy in de Auto.*However, Ajax did not want to participate in a transfer, according to the central defender.

Veltman was mainly linked to West Ham United in the boulevard media and announced in early September - just after he extended his contract in Amsterdam - that there was interest from the Premier League.*The 27-year-old North Hollander did not mention names at the time, but let Andy know that Brighton was in the market in conversation with Andy van der Meijde.*"Among other things, West Ham was interested. Who else? Brighton. They really wanted me, but Ajax said no."

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...der-meijde-brighton-wilde-me-heel-graag-.html

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Welcome to the Albion Joel! Disappointingly, there is absolutely NOTHING to moan about here.

Barber OUT!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
When you think about it, aside from Montoya there’s not actually that much elite level experience in our defenders.

Yes Dunky, but it’s still only his 3rd season in the PL. Webster is new, as is Lamptey, as is Burn, as is... Ben White.

Guys, we’ve just signed a Champions League player, Ajax’s RB, to help pass on some experience to our defence. And for 900k. Outstanding business by the club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dutch international RB from Ajax with 20 caps, all for £900K (assuming all that is true) - seems a fantastic bargain, even for an area I didn't think we needed to strengthen..

At 28 though, I can't understand why he would come from Ajax to Brighton mainly - presumably - to keep the bench warm most of the time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Clarke will go back out on loan, probably to Derby again

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Leeds fans will be happy!!

Im not on twatter, but if I was, I could see a mischevious tweet or 2 (then shared to Marching On Together), that someone who knows xyz at the club has said we've bought in Veltman as White actually does want to go back.

Then sit back and take popcorn!

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Joel Veltman

Didn’t we buy another CB a few weeks ago as well? Young lad from Belgium? Lol. We’re a club that respects this position that’s for sure.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This looks to be a very astute signing, an international player who can play in more than one position and we don't even think he will be in the starting line up.

I had said I wanted 3 new signings this summer but to have 2 in the first week would leave just 1 more in 2 months...this is too long a transfer window for just 1 more. A striker next please Uncle Tony

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Didn’t we buy another CB a few weeks ago as well? Young lad from Belgium? Lol. We’re a club that respects this position that’s for sure.

This would be the ultimate wet dream if Hughton was still here, we could play an 8-1-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here