Joe Gatting is not good enough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

larus

I thought he won a lot of ball yesterday, his touch was better and did some chasing (although he doesn't put in the same effort as Revell does).

It's too early to write someone off at 19, when they're only starting on the transition from youth to first team football.

Give him 18 months, then judge him.

Players like him will never have the same impact as a fast striker, as they don't generate the same buzz when they get the ball. Look at Jarrett, very fast, but in all honesty, never really contributed much (oh god, ammunition for the McGhee was a w****ker brigade).

His reading of the game will improve and he may become a very good player at dropping off/linking up.

Some people are much too quick to slag off our players :nono: .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
larus said:
Give him 18 months, then judge him.

The club can't carry him for 18 months. That would be ridiculous. Let him prove himself capable of making the jump to senior level at Aldershot or somewhere. Then if he proves he can hack it, by all means bring him back. But he's too much of a luxury player in the club's current predicament. Nathan Elder looks by far the better bet.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yesterday was the best I've seen him play for us. Held the ball up well and won some good headers. But his lack of pace is still a problem.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think a spell out on loan at a Conference club would be very good for him. Then we can see whether he has the ability to raise his game.

3 - I wonder if it's the best goals for minutes on the pitch ratio of any of our strikers.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
The difference was demonstrated between Gifton and Gatting. We can't afford to give people 2 seasons to prove they're just Southern League standard. Nathan Elder contributed more yesterday.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bromley shrimp said:
The difference was demonstrated between Gifton and Gatting. We can't afford to give people 2 seasons to prove they're just Southern League standard. Nathan Elder contributed more yesterday.

You're right....Gatting is a luxury at the moment. It was obvious that Millwall defensively were not that great, and especially in the air - we really missed Revell. I keep going on about Gargan, but he is a MUCH better prospect than Gatting, so if we're going to play a youngster at centre-forward, why not Gargan?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
If you think Joe Gatting is the solution, then you haven't understood the problem. Fact.

If you think Michel Kuipers is the solution, then you haven't understood the problem.
Fact.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Yorkie said:
If you think Michel Kuipers is the solution, then you haven't understood the problem.
Fact.

But its quite clear that Henderson has been a problem though hasnt it? Bournemouth anyone?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Albion Dan said:
But its quite clear that Henderson has been a problem though hasnt it? Bournemouth anyone?

My post was a wind up to my mate. :jester:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Gatting's goal scoring record at youth and reserve team level speaks for itself. He has not played many game at this level, but is doing ok.

4 goals so far this season and he holds the ball up well.

Well done Gatts! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Tom Hark said:
If you think Joe Gatting is the solution, then you haven't understood the problem. Fact.

Gatting is currently our form striker. Fact

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You can't argue with the truth, can you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports