Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting is not good enough

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Proved it again today. Did absolutely nothing. Waste of space.

OK, DW, you've given him a chance to show what he can do and he has been shown up. No skill, no pace, doesn't add anything to the team.

So lets offload him quickly just to be sure you're not tempted to select him for the squad again.

Hate to say it, but he'll go down in Albion history as one of our worst players.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Again, only did as much Cox, Revell and Robinson. (and Hammond).

Don't think you can single anyone out (well, apart from Henderson, who would probably have been MoM until his cock up!!)

We were CRAP

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Sorry but that is bollocks!

He's very young, and is just starting to show the signs of what he may be able to offer in the FUTURE.

Able to hold up the ball, then get in the box, and a pretty good finisher.

He's a kid, dont blame him for being thrown in at he deep end, he's going to have a lot games where it looks like he's gone missing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
goldstone said:
Proved it again today. Did absolutely nothing. Waste of space.

OK, DW, you've given him a chance to show what he can do and he has been shown up. No skill, no pace, doesn't add anything to the team.

So lets offload him quickly just to be sure you're not tempted to select him for the squad again.

Hate to say it, but he'll go down in Albion history as one of our worst players.
No, he won't.

He might go down as one of our slowest, though. I though he was pretty good against Carlisle, certainly in the first half. The problem is that you should hoof the ball over the top to him for him to chase - he has no pace. He is, however, pretty good at holding the ball up. And he can turn defenders.

I think you're being very unfair on the lad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
anyone playing up front at the moment would struggle trying to occupy the two central defenders on their own and not having a clue where the next pass is coming from or where it is going.

We must play Revell down the middle.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yet!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Barnham Seagull said:

He's very young, and is just starting to show the signs of what he may be able to offer in the FUTURE.

He's a kid, dont blame him for being thrown in at he deep end, he's going to have a lot games where it looks like he's gone missing.

Good post.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Barnham Seagull said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We just can't WAIT to slaughter our players can we.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
timbha said:
anyone playing up front at the moment would struggle trying to occupy the two central defenders on their own and not having a clue where the next pass is coming from or where it is going.

We must play Revell down the middle.

Of course we should play Revell down the middle. If we're going to play long balls out of defence to a target man it has to be Revell. Gatting didn't win anything in the air. Just can't understand Wilkins thinking in persisting with Gatting. What did he add to the game today? Answer, nothing.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
goldstone said:
Of course we should play Revell down the middle. If we're going to play long balls out of defence to a target man it has to be Revell. Gatting didn't win anything in the air. Just can't understand Wilkins thinking in persisting with Gatting. What did he add to the game today? Answer, nothing.

What did he add to the last two games? Two goals.
What did our other strikers add to those games? Answer nothing.
Do we get rid of those too?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Afraid to say he looks remarkably like the next Chris McPhee to me.

Robinson has always had that blistering pace for running at defenders, and a heck of a shot on him when he gets hold of it. Cox has some craft and guile on the ball. What Revell lacks in skills he makes up for in sheer workrate. But I'm not really seeing what Gatting brings to the party.

He's not quick. He's not a particularly good finisher. He's not great at holding it up, and he doesn't put as much workrate in as I'd expect from a youngester being given his chance in the first team. I KNOW he's only young, and maybe its still too early to judge, but by now I'd like to have seen something in him that makes me think he could really make it. He just doesn't look anywhere near 1st team material to me yet.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Barnham Seagull said:

Sorry, Mr Barnham Seagull, but that too is bollocks.

Can we (or can any team) really afford the luxury of carrying a young player who is "just starting" to show signs of what he may be able to offer at some undetermined point in the future?

The answer is NO.

Until he's able to compete and bring something to the team (which by the looks of it is likely to be some way off) he should go off on loan to a Conference team.

In my view he's another McPhee ... not got what it takes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
goldstone said:

Can we (or can any team) really afford the luxury of carrying a young player who is "just starting" to show signs of what he may be able to offer at some undetermined point in the future?

The answer is NO.

Until he's able to compete and bring something to the team (which by the looks of it is likely to be some way off) he should go off on loan to a Conference team.

In my view he's another McPhee ... not got what it takes.

You haven't answered my post.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
What did he add to the last two games? Two goals.
What did our other strikers add to those games? Answer nothing.
Do we get rid of those too?

There is actually more to the game than scoring goals. If we'd had someone playing in his place in those games we'd probably have got some points instead of zilch. His goals did nothing to gain us any points, did they?

Jake and Revell give 100%. When they get the ball at their feet there is a feeling something could happen.

Gatting never looks as though he's giving 100% and whenever he has the ball at his feet I have a feeling that the move will not develop into anything worthwhile. He does not inspire me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Give him time.

Jake has been around the first team now for 4 years and this is the first season he has shown the ability that he has. Revell was useless at Cambridge and dropped back down to non-league but now showing the ability he has.

Everything has to be instant with some fans. We can't bring in good quality strikers as we don't have the funds so we will have to bring in the promising youngsters who won't be consistent but he does have ability,

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
goldstone said:

The answer is NO.
Can we really afford to carry promising young players? It is disgraceful. Who ever heard of a successful youth system. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Incidentally, he has "offered something to the team" in the last few games, including two goals. He wasn't great today, but who was?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Give him time.

Jake has been around the first team now for 4 years and this is the first season he has shown the ability that he has. Revell was useless at Cambridge and dropped back down to non-league but now showing the ability he has.

Everything has to be instant with some fans. We can't bring in good quality strikers as we don't have the funds so we will have to bring in the promising youngsters who won't be consistent but he does have ability,

Maybe he does have ability, but he's not showing much of it right now.

Therefore (and Revell's example is a good one) he should drop down to non-league to find out whether he's good enough.

My point is that we cannot afford to carry players and frankly we're carrying Joe at present.

I'd rather have John, Mayo or maybe even Frutos in the starting eleven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here