Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Cole needs a reality check

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
He's (currently) in the England starting 11, why should he stay at Chelsea and be on half of what Terry is :dunce:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes it is ludicrous money but if some spastic Chairman is prepared to pay it, he's not going to turn it down is he?

No but what more can you realistic buy with £120,000 a week than £90,000 a week?

If his move away was based mainly on not being paid as much as the top earners on over £100,000 then I believe that is complete greed.

I very much doubt that is the case though so I'll stop here :thumbsup:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
If the reason he has left is because he wants a rise on £90,000 a week, then he certainly goes down massively in my estimations.

I struggle to believe anybody is that greedy though and the reason is because he wants a change/starting every game.

He has said he wants parity with the top earners at Chelsea........that why i put the thread up !

He has never said ' I want to start every game '!

BHAFC4EVER

BOO!
Jan 20, 2009
RH20
Leaving Chelsea because he wants parity with the highest earners at the club....he is on £90,000 a week for christs sake. How much money do you need?

In todays economy, and with whats coming in the next few years for us lot, its a total disgrace that he thinks he can hold out for even more obscene money than he is already earning for running and kicking a football.

Who is actually going to pay him £120,000 a week (which is what he's after). Arsenal certainly wont, Spurs wont either. So what EXACTLY is this about ?
Clubs in the Premiership just are not going to carry on paying these type of wages.

Source?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's (currently) in the England starting 11, why should he stay at Chelsea and be on half of what Terry is :dunce:
Exactly, he didn't create the situation (which is fcuked up beyond belief) so he can't be held responsible for making it work for him.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The country needs as much tax money as possible so really he is just doing his bit for the economy

Bingo !

At £90k per week he's probably paying a couple of million a year and at £120k aprox £2.5m per annum to the tax man.Unless he has some means of diddling HMRC which is not unheard of in football.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Please don't ask for a source here, but I am pretty certain that Chelsea offered him a new deal on half of his current wages, it was widely covered in the press a few months back.

So this thread should really be a big hurrah that a touch of reality is creeping into football at Chelski of all places. Cole will probably get a better deal by moving, but he is likely to end up with a pay cut all the same.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
speaking of reality check, who says he's asking 120k? did he state that or is it media speculation? im inclined to believe he's more interested in regular first team football and he knows he doesnt fit the Chelsea style, so time to move. his agent will try to get as good a deal as the market allows, f*** all the bollocks about the "real world", that is the reality of top end sportsman.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't see what he's done wrong. If you're playing hardball in any negotiations, you have to be ready to have your bluff called. It was called by Abramovich, Cole was ready to leave anyway, and backed himself to get a decent club and big money elsewhere, which he now will.

No harm in asking, they can only say no. Unless we're making Joe Cole individually responsible for football's crazy wages. Which would be harsh.
I have to say I agree entirely with this.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's Chelsea chopping Cole !

Cole seems a decent bloke, never gets bad press or caught falling out of clubs. Always comes across as very humble and appreciative that he is in football and does shit loads of work for charity.

Add to that he was quality in the last world cup and could potentially be massive in this then let him get on with it

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it was a few weeks ago Harry Redknapp said he was fairly sure Joe Cole had already signed for someone else (ie not Spurs). As soon as he said that, I just assumed with Redknapp's Pinnochio past that he would duly be signing for Spurs after the World Cup.

I remember someone telling me once that Redknapp was asked about whether he had any interest in signing a player at Pompey, he categorically denied any interest, and the bloke was outside in the car park waiting to sign his contract. You can tell when he's 'lying' - his mouth opens.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think it was a few weeks ago Harry Redknapp said he was fairly sure Joe Cole had already signed for someone else (ie not Spurs). As soon as he said that, I just assumed with Redknapp's Pinnochio past that he would duly be signing for Spurs after the World Cup.

I remember someone telling me once that Redknapp was asked about whether he had any interest in signing a player at Pompey, he categorically denied any interest, and the bloke was outside in the car park waiting to sign his contract. You can tell when he's 'lying' - his mouth opens.

Pretty spot on!

I would love Cole at spurs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I like the bloke.

He always seems fairly grounded. He seems to be one of those players who enjoys playing the game.
I agree. Also it's not his fault that footballers are paid silly money. What's he supposed to say? "Yeah, we're all overpaid so I'll do it for £900 a week."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here