Joe Cole coming to Brighton in the summer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hard to begrudge a genuine quality player on the gradual downward slide in their career a run out with the Stripes. Bridge and Upson have been superb and word seems to be getting around on that score. Which player in the latter stages of their career that couldn't be arzed to make the move abroad for whatever reason wouldn't fancy a season in Sussex By The Sea? Just so long as we're not stacking the shelves with them for a quick fix a la 'Arry, then its all good and will bring the younger players on apace.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
please, no

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This part is interesting. Cole currently earns around £90,000 per week – partly funded by a pay-off from Liverpool

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If Oscar were interested, I would be in the "Yes Please" camp.

I wonder if this is a "come and get me" from his agent. It seems clear from the article that money is not the main concern, or he would be after the big money North American Deal.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
If it were genuinely on the table, I'd have him at Albion in a heartbeat. But I can't see it happening, there's taking a wage cut and then there's accepting 10-20% of your current wage. Bridge was a different scenario as the rest of his salary was being paid by Man City, he got to play and was still banking 90k a week. If JC happens I would be both very surprised and very excited.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Was tipped as the best English prospect as a kid and the new Pele wasn't he? I believe he was voted Chelsea's player of the year to. He done great in France to. He never seemed to fulfil his potential though. Hopefully we do sign him, I think he would do a great job for us. He doesn't need the money so I hope he just wants to play football, Brighton isnt far from London either, so he wouldnt need to up sticks with his family.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I rather hope not. He was a class act but has been far below that level for a few seasons now. I'm not sure we need him.
I'd rather develop the youngsters or sign someone young and hungry than sign someone whose best days have long been gone.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Maybe it is a FFP thing.

If we get decent players in on loan and the powers that be decide we are exceeding our budget, we can simply send them back in January, report that we are now back within budget and get permission to carry on trading by the end of Jan which is when all the deals are done anyway. Genius.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Isn't our squad old enough already?

My thoughts exactly. Was this him sneaking on yesterday?

image.jpg

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I'm sure he could do a better job than many of our current players. I wouldn't write him off too quickly.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Probably as gifted a footballer as Vicente and he didn't have to play every minute of every game to get us excited!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I had the pleasure of attending a coaches meeting that Vic Bragg came along to a couple of weeks ago and he said that Joe Cole was one of the most technically gifted players that this country has ever produced. Such a shame that injuries have impacted on what should have been the career of one of the best players in the world

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Believe Wayne Bridge went down to 25k a week for reading. Can we afford that?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
In a recent interview, Joe Cole said that after retirement, he wants to get a coaching licence and focus on that, so maybe he's got one eye on our new training academy when he says he's "intrigued" by Brighton? I think he would be a quality signing if we're still in the Championship next season and then if we could keep him as a youth coach when he retires?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports