Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Cole coming to Brighton in the summer?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He is an incredibly talented player whose career went downhill after having the creativity kicked out of him by Mourinho's system at Chelsea.

If he's not costing the earth and has his head switched on it's a no brainer for me - he'd be perfect as the creative link between midfield and Ulloa. If he's comfortable and having a run of games I think he'd show just how good he can still be. With regards to how much he plays for West Ham, don't forget that he doesn't really fit into West Ha's style these days, but he could slot into the midfield three here quite easily

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand some people. Every football fan is allowed to dream a little, but sometimes forums like NSC rationalise and over-analyse a situation to death. The dream for us is that we reach the Prem playing exciting football, and when we had Vicente doing his thing for a moment it looked like we could beat any team in this division.

I say if Bloom thinks he can strike a deal then sign Cole without a moment's hesitation. Even 15 games from him could make the difference to our season.

Or maybe we should continue to sign experienced midfielders with Prem experience who look great on paper, like Keith Andrews and Kemy Agustien?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would be a brilliant signing and I can see it happening. Just need to get Lampard as well and we are sorted in midfield next season whichever division we are in.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Exactly.

He seems pretty committed to whoever he moves too. I read that he completely sold up in London, before moving on to Liverpool . All went tits up and had to buy another house when he moved back, but fair play. :thumbsup:

I expect he would be 'committed' if on £90k a week!
And as for having to buy another house ~ on that dosh I'd buy two!!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Would love him to come here, I still haven't forgotten THAT goal vs Sweden :mad:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
And how would his signing fit in with FFP? Will we be playing Cole and a team of reserves.

Its VERY unlikely (unless we're promoted).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just because he's 32 doesn't mean he's rubbish. I'd love to see him in the stripes, even if it's a sporadically as Vicente's appearances.

Wages though? To drop from £90k p/w to £9k p/w is a BIG ask...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What he is earning now is not relevant like Bridge he knows he will not get another deal in this country approaching that figure. What we have to do is compete with the likes of QPR and Reading arou d the 20- 25k level. He is exactly the type of midfielder we could do with, who can pass the ball and score goals in the box and from distance.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
4 FA cups...

3 PL titles...

56 ENG caps...

10 ENG goals...

Consistent PL player...

Still only 32, are people really asking the question if he's good enough? Only issue here is wages!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
No doubt we'll see him on FCC trains all the time, similar to when he commuted to Lille via Eurostar. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And how would his signing fit in with FFP? Will we be playing Cole and a team of reserves.

Its VERY unlikely (unless we're promoted).

If we bring in a player on a 2-year deal earning £25k a week it has exactly the same impact under FFP as a player signed for £1million on £15k a week.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The last two former England internationals we've brought in have been decent enough!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Begs the question why the hell are you on a football forum then?!?.

I don't watch the Premier League, unless invited over to watch a game with a friend. I don't have SKY and don't tend to watch MOTD that much, certainly not enough to evaluate whether Joe Cole still has it. The Champions League/Europa doesn't hold much interest for me.

I'll watch it in the flesh or a dodgy stream or online. Other clubs generally hold little interest to me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
£90k a week and hardly ever plays. F*** me I'm in the wrong job. Wish I hadn't kept bunking off P.E. 40 years ago :lolol:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Will go to the US or Saudi. Why would he finish his career on 20k max a week in the championship when there will be the oil states or the likes of 'Becks' willing to offer him 4 times that? Look at the ridiculous contract Defoe has somehow got in Canada, madness.
He's coin operated, they all are.

I've always had the impression that he *might* be a bit of an exception to the rule. Always comes across as someone who loves playing football and there's an outside chance at 32 that he just wants to play regularly and will take a big pay cut to do so. Doesn't mean he'll come here of course but I'd love it - the young Cole was one of my favourite England players - a shame for him that we've never known what to do with those sorts of players (see also: Hoddle, Le Tissier etc)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would be a brilliant signing and I can see it happening. Just need to get Lampard as well and we are sorted in midfield next season whichever division we are in.

Just reminded me, Lampard to Brighton in the summer was the outrageous and unlikely rumour this time last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here