Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Joe Biden

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
They're taking the same risk they took last time - it doesn't matter how dull our candidate is, they can't lose to Trump. Second time lucky?

I assume the Dems plan would be for Biden to win, serve one term then step aside to allow Harris to lead their ticket in 2024.

I'd rather see Biden win than Trump, but it says very little for the whole American political system that that is the choice on offer.
They had two goodish candidates in Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard, and she has just left the democrats in disgust at their complete subservience to the military industrial complex

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Tulsi Gabbard has absolutely lost her mind in the last year or so. Not sure what's happened there but she's gone totally off the deep end.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
They had two goodish candidates in Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard, and she has just left the democrats in disgust at their complete subservience to the military industrial complex
I didn't know much about Tulsi Gabbard but a quick scan of her Wikipedia article suggests she's a bit of a fruit loop and very much to the right of the Democrat party - as in, three doors down.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
1. DW was founded by Shapiro, an arch conservative who, if alive in Germany in the 1930’s, would have been giving Hitler blowjobs.

I despise Shapiro but good god this is horrendous. I know you apologised for it but honestly if a thread about bloody Joe Biden brings about this level of awful takes, maybe @Bozza should move this back to the Bear Pit, or give Deportivo a time out or something, because this is just gross.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don’t hate Shapiro - he’s just a grifter like so many others.

I feel sorry for morons who think he is clever because he talks quickly. Literally no other reason.

If you actually slow down and pick apart what he’s saying, it’s usually a word salad of absolute bollocks.

But he says it fast and with conviction, so he must be clever, you see?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
There’s a few on here that could do with some critical thought going into how they assign value to media sources. Unless of course contrarianism is their entire schtick, and they just want to feel less alone.

Am looking forward to the inevitable
“Wake up sheeple!”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Interesting but not surprising that the US government, with all its proven historical lies, are now determined to decide what is true or false and pressuring media companies to censor what the US government has decided to be "false information" (which could include anything from actual false information to political opinions and unconvenient truths). No doubt a lot of people in our day and age will see that as natural and positive but in the past it would of course have been very controversial given that governments trying to censor people was seen as something only done in various fascist countries.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tulsi Gabbard has absolutely lost her mind in the last year or so. Not sure what's happened there but she's gone totally off the deep end.

She got to see the inner workings of the Democrat Party up close.

She tried to be the middle ground type politician and not shit on everyone who didn't agree with her positions.

In the end she got attacked so relentlessly by her own party and supporters that she realised what they really are.

Now she's part of the group of people who were once Democrats and still hold some of the principles of that party but cannot support them due to their bullshit.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I didn't know much about Tulsi Gabbard but a quick scan of her Wikipedia article suggests she's a bit of a fruit loop and very much to the right of the Democrat party - as in, three doors down.

You should have stopped after you admitted you don't know anything about her.

Her biggest mistake as with many ex- Democrats who get attacked by their own party people was to say can we stop with all this us v them bullshit.

She also destroyed Harris in the Democrats Presidential debates and basically ended Harris run at it.

Harris then put up as the token appointment by Biden despite there being better options.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I've really enjoyed watching all the speeches by former president Obama over the weekend. He has an oratory skill that nobody else can match. There's an element of preaching to the choir a little bit, but that's what rallies are. He got a few viral moments which have been shown across the platforms which is crucial and hopefully it will make ordinary people, not partisans on either side, think about voting for candidates they may not particularly like - but who share their values overall and won't be looking to help the rich hoard wealth whilst cutting social security benefits and waging a pointless culture war.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've really enjoyed watching all the speeches by former president Obama over the weekend. He has an oratory skill that nobody else can match. There's an element of preaching to the choir a little bit, but that's what rallies are. He got a few viral moments which have been shown across the platforms which is crucial and hopefully it will make ordinary people, not partisans on either side, think about voting for candidates they may not particularly like - but who share their values overall and won't be looking to help the rich hoard wealth whilst cutting social security benefits and waging a pointless culture war.
Yeah that'll happen...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Ordinary people will more likely vote more for the Republicans than the Democrats then.

Crime is high on people's agendas, second after the economy and ordinary people don't trust the Democrats when it comes to that given how many Democrats supported the Defund the Police nonsense.

In new Gallup polling, the economy still ranks as the top issue, with 85% of registered voters saying it will be “extremely” or “very important” to their vote. But guess what came in second? Yes, crime – with 71% of registered voters saying it was either extremely or very important to their vote. (By comparison, 66% said the same for abortion.)

That finding comes after Gallup released a survey that showed that more than half of Americans (56%) said there was more crime in their area compared to a year ago. That was the highest mark Gallup ever measured over five decades of polling on the question.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
True and a crass statement on my part for which I apologise, but I always find it disturbing that someone of the Jewish faith can be so alt right wing, especially as a lot of his followers would be very much at home in ‘30’s Germany. A bit like Kanye West aligning with people that would rather he be picking cotton ….
Then you might be surprised that following the Israeli elections, the balance of power is held by an ultra right-wing, nationalist, racist party.

However, he will be dependent on the support of the ultra-nationalist Religious Zionism party.
Its leaders, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, have gained notoriety for using anti-Arab rhetoric and advocating the deportation of "disloyal" Arab politicians or civilians.
Mr Ben-Gvir was a follower of the late, explicitly racist, ultra-nationalist Meir Kahane, whose organisation was banned in Israel and designated as a terrorist group by the United States. Mr Ben-Gvir himself has been convicted of incitement to racism and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Hopefully this straightens out any who are still confused by anti-semitism and anti-Zionism.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Then you might be surprised that following the Israeli elections, the balance of power is held by an ultra right-wing, nationalist, racist party.

However, he will be dependent on the support of the ultra-nationalist Religious Zionism party.
Its leaders, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, have gained notoriety for using anti-Arab rhetoric and advocating the deportation of "disloyal" Arab politicians or civilians.
Mr Ben-Gvir was a follower of the late, explicitly racist, ultra-nationalist Meir Kahane, whose organisation was banned in Israel and designated as a terrorist group by the United States. Mr Ben-Gvir himself has been convicted of incitement to racism and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Hopefully this straightens out any who are still confused by anti-semitism and anti-Zionism.
It won't straighten out anyone.

I don't envy Israelian leftists. I've met a fair number of them in my leftist student club and they are incredibly frustrated. All of them telling the same story - "we have most racist and most nazi-resembling government on the planet, yet every conservative and liberal in every western country will always jump in to defend their actions based on some flawed idea that Jews can't be racist or nazis". Uphill battle to say the least.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Obama created the situation we have now , he bombed the back end out of Syria , for f*** sake mate , have a look at yerself eh..?? He's Americas answer to Tony Blair , runaway billionaire 150 k consultancy merchant ....get a grip for f*** sake , do some reading.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

There is a useful contrast between Zionism and neo-Zionism too (introduced by Ted Honderich). Zionism was the movement that founded the Israeli state in the aftermath of WW2 (it resorted to 'terrorism' to achieve its aim). There is a legitimate debate to be had as to whether that is a valid step, but it was legally recognised by the UN. Neo-Zionism, on the other hand, is the failure to accept the borders of the Israeli state in 1948, and promotes, facilitates and achieves the continual incursion and annexation of Palestine's territories. This is invalid, and has not been recognised by the UN and yet still it continues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here