Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jobs for a 16 year old

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
couldn't agree less, in you have common sense 'C' grade or better get in at the bottom with them & you'll find no'one in your way blocking a route to the very top

You dont know what your fecking talking about mate! My daughter did years of hospitality before she joined Azure. She rose through the ranks to serve the players their pre-match meals onto Directors on match day. Her 'work' eventually disappeared at Christmas last year. She worked a few matches in the new year but gave up before the new season. Believe me if you get a job with Azure its not real!!

zoe

Jul 5, 2003
The Mobile Shop Withdean
I don't know if it will help. But I run a volunteer programme for 16-19 year olds helping them to improving their employability skills through completing challenging projects in the local community. Help with CVs, interview skills etc. 16 week programme & we pay expenses of up to £40 per week.
I know this sounds like an advert but if you're interested PM me or call the office on 01273 773913.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I don't know if it will help. But I run a volunteer programme for 16-19 year olds helping them to improving their employability skills through completing challenging projects in the local community. Help with CVs, interview skills etc. 16 week programme & we pay expenses of up to £40 per week.
I know this sounds like an advert but if you're interested PM me or call the office on 01273 773913.

(do) this

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

As I said in my previous post.

You should maybe think about doing something like this.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Honestly Biffer, anything will do
Have you tried your local Co-op? (Or any other store). Also what about being a kitchen porter? It's a really shit job and consequently there's a high turnover of staff. Go to your local pub/resturant and ask. Then go back and ask again. And again. You've got to be persistent, eventually someone will take you on, then you'll have the experience to go to another job.

EDIT: And take Zoe up on her offer.

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
Thank you very much for the replies, some have been very helpful.

I think the supermarket route is probably the most likely one at the moment, and Co-op is very close to me, I'll pop down there tomorrow

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
what about a vocational course at college? At 16 i went to Plumpton and did tree surgery but it also included work experience a couple of days a week. Found i couldn't climb trees for shit but gave me some valuable experience, working in small teams, comunication skills etc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a surprisingly large number of shops and pubs around the middle of town with scrawled 'Apply Within' notices in the window. You could do a lot worse than spend a day just walking around BN1, maybe focussing on The North Laine area and surrounding streets. Good luck.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thank you very much for the replies, some have been very helpful.

I think the supermarket route is probably the most likely one at the moment, and Co-op is very close to me, I'll pop down there tomorrow
You will still need a CV - have you got one? Obviously at your age no one is expecting years of experience, but if you've done work experience that all helps. And DO take Zoe up on her offer.

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
You will still need a CV - have you got one? Obviously at your age no one is expecting years of experience, but if you've done work experience that all helps. And DO take Zoe up on her offer.

I've sent zoe a PM asking for more information regarding her course. Currently I do not have a CV as I'm still at school and have never needed one; also, my school is yet to do work experience so that doesn't help but I have previously worked for over a year in a family shop

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
How about going to McDonalds and learning what it's like to work?

It's not a career, it doesn't pay well, but it will give you a clue about what it's like to have to have to go to work every day.

This is not a dig or a go at McDonalds staff but my nephew wanted to work and that's what he did. gave him a very good grounding.

Agree with this, good employer, hard work but for 16 year olds, welcome to work and working as a team!

Do it well and you may even get promoted (remember the cv)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've sent zoe a PM asking for more information regarding her course. Currently I do not have a CV as I'm still at school and have never needed one; also, my school is yet to do work experience so that doesn't help but I have previously worked for over a year in a family shop
That's good and definitely worth putting on a CV - although you might get some jobsworth wondering why an under sixteen was working in a shop and were you being exploited? CV writing is a bit of a black art, when my son was your age I did his for him - and he eventually got a job! (It was a kitchen porter). BTW your written English is a lot better than his! (Excellent use of a semi-colon to avoid a comma splice run-on. Are you SURE you're only sixteen?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

definately this mate

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
That's good and definitely worth putting on a CV - although you might get some jobsworth wondering why an under sixteen was working in a shop and were you being exploited? CV writing is a bit of a black art, when my son was your age I did his for him - and he eventually got a job! (It was a kitchen porter). BTW your written English is a lot better than his! (Excellent use of a semi-colon to avoid a comma splice run-on. Are you SURE you're only sixteen?)

Thank you for the compliment, well if I'm honest with you I am 15, but am 16 next month so I started this thread so I would have an idea of what to do when I get to 16. I am still currently doing my GCSE's (3 A*'s and one A so far in English).

I think I'd be fine getting away with it, as I had an employment card; I only worked an hour a week which you are allowed to do if you are 14, which I was.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Thank you for the compliment, well if I'm honest with you I am 15, but am 16 next month so I started this thread so I would have an idea of what to do when I get to 16. I am still currently doing my GCSE's (3 A*'s and one A so far in English).

I think I'd be fine getting away with it, as I had an employment card; I only worked an hour a week which you are allowed to do if you are 14, which I was.

With those grades I would suggest getting a Saturday job to supplement your sixth form/college studies. I work as a kitchen assistant which earns me enough so that I can do my A-levels (currently in year 13). Ask EVERYWHERE for a job, don't be afraid to ask, they can only say no. I asked all the conventionals first with no luck so tried local sports centres and luckily found a job at a golf club, there are lots of crappy jobs out there and with a good CV and your obvious intelligence you should have no trouble. Good luck !

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
There really isn't much out there for any age let alone 15/16.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Come Xmas there will be plenty around in the retail shops in town, this is how I started at 16, worked in Topshop, it was the dream, so many birds. then got a full time job downstairs in Topman after Xmas, my brother did exactly the same.

if you have left school/college and you don't know what you want to do, then think seriously about it, an apprentice wage at 16/17 isn't all that bad and in 3 years you will be earning a lot more than you would if you worked in retail for 3 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here