Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Still learning. I do think he may be a bit paul brooker esque. Better when the sun shines!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not in great form but a very important part of our squad who provides something different. Disagree about him being poor defensively, he's decent defensively which is why CH often starts him away from home.

Also disagreed with WA (quite rare, the man knows his stuff) saying that Bong feels more comfortable running past his winger when it's Solly playing. It was just the end of the game where we had them pinned in, he would have been overlapping no matter what winger was in front of him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Some people clearly see a different game. He provides excellent screen cover for our left back (Bong had good reason to be grateful yesterday) and of all our wingers he is the most effective in preventing both full backs and wingers pushing too far forward. Exceptional crossing ability and never stops running. If not best blessed with pace he has much else to offer.

Exactly. As I was saying earlier in the thread, our wingers all have different qualities. I don't understand why people need to start threads like this. If you want to comment on a player then use the match thread or the player ratings one. For me, starting a thread simply to slag off a player is unnecessary, even if we're not doing well. It is ridiculous when we are doing so well.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He's a very good Champ player but yeah not quite of the level of Knocky and March currently...... but who in this league is? Short list of wide players I'd have thought

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Exactly. As I was saying earlier in the thread, our wingers all have different qualities. I don't understand why people need to start threads like this. If you want to comment on a player then use the match thread or the player ratings one. For me, starting a thread simply to slag off a player is unnecessary, even if we're not doing well. It is ridiculous when we are doing so well.

Some people seem unable to celebrate the positive without offsetting it.

Hughton by nature is cautious and sets up not to concede. For those of us lucky to be able to follow the club away from home the differences are very clear even when the personnel are largely the same. Unforced changes when they are made are for specific reasons. Skalak is often favoured if the opposition have particular attacking strength down that side. Murphy has played when teams were thought to be susceptible to pace inside the full back. Norwood started recently when Leeds were expected to press high and we wanted to pass through them. March came on to push us forward last night and now he is fit he may well start more often, especially at home. We have a strong squad with an excellent range of skills. Long may we continue to benefit from that.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hughton by nature is cautious and sets up not to concede. For those of us lucky to be able to follow the club away from home the differences are very clear even when the personnel are largely the same. Unforced changes when they are made are for specific reasons. Skalak is often favoured if the opposition have particular attacking strength down that side. Murphy has played when teams were thought to be susceptible to pace inside the full back. Norwood started recently when Leeds were expected to press high and we wanted to pass through them. March came on to push us forward last night and now he is fit he may well start more often, especially at home. We have a strong squad with an excellent range of skills. Long may we continue to benefit from that.

Exactly...

Together we are a team and Skalak is part of that team and more than contributed this season and those asking what we paid for him should remember we paid the going rate and what we thought was fair, we are not a team that engages in bidding wars for mercenaries.

Together people Together we are all a team.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
We didn't over pay. He's OK at this level. March will be a better player. Jiri, Bruno and Bong were all average last night, so the result speaks more about the squads resolve and ability to cope with people having an off day. Last season, we would have lost or drawn that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm sure he frustrates Hughton sometimes but he is pcked for a reason, he's not nursing an injury, he gives it his best and we are in a good position with him. If all he did yesterday was tire them out for March to come on and make an impact, the tactic worked.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
A good player probably plays better at home than away , but saying that still does a good job for the team

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Exactly. You only have to look at goals scored/conceded at home/away to see the difference. We have different options on the wing and they work better on different occasions. With March coming back now we have another option too. But somehow with that some people seem to regard it as a reason to criticise other players. Just because you praise a player doesn't mean you have to criticise others who are competing. Football is a squad game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We didn't over pay. He's OK at this level. March will be a better player. Jiri, Bruno and Bong were all average last night, so the result speaks more about the squads resolve and ability to cope with people having an off day. Last season, we would have lost or drawn that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skalak is a different type of player to March - less exciting in his style - but there's nothing to say he won't go on to make it higher than Championship level. He's young, a full international already, still learning and at least 4 years off his peak.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Maybe this

[yt]0KiJ71soEIQ[/yt]

This post led me to this...

Gave me a bit of a giggle....but then again i'm a bit pissed:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here