Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Today it's Jiri, 2 weeks ago it was Bong, inexplicably in between Norwood came in for 'if only he was as good as' nonsense.
All joining a huge list of bemoaned Albion players.

I'm the most pessimist petal you're ever likely to meet, and even I can see this now is currently the very very best of times.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Today it's Jiri, 2 weeks ago it was Bong, inexplicably in between Norwood came in for 'if only he was as good as' nonsense.
All joining a huge list of bemoaned Albion players.

I'm the most pessimist petal you're ever likely to meet, and even I can see this now is currently the very very best of times.

Agreed. We have four very good wingers at this level. All have different strengths. None are perfect hence they play for us and not Barcelona. Some people on here seem never to be happy.

And in answer to the OP, he apparently cost about £1 million and so we certainly didn't overspend.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Love this type of thread........i suspect it will be bounced before the end of the season.

He is good enough a player to ensure it does.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not wanting to put a downer on our sensational season and this may be just be but did we overpay for Skalak?

Other than decent setpiece and crossing ability I can't really see what else he has in his locker. Easily knocked off the ball, no pace.

As I say it may just be me and I'm not picking holes as genuinely delighted with the way the season is going.

Difficult to answer this honestly, as I don't know what we paid.
However if Skalak had been giving 110% this season I calculate that we should be on 72.6 points by now a whopping 23.6 points clear of Newcastle. Clearly it is time for him to empty or clear out his locker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A man with exactly the kind of attitude we need in the dressing room, in training, on the bench and on the pitch. He also possibly takes the best set pieces in the squad. Brilliant for the 1st five months of the year and compliments the other wingers perfectly giving CH lots of options. His goal scoring has lacked this season so perhaps March, Murphy and possibly Lua Lua will get some game time while he tries to find some form.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A man with exactly the kind of attitude we need in the dressing room, in training, on the bench and on the pitch. He also possibly takes the best set pieces in the squad. Brilliant for the 1st five months of the year and compliments the other wingers perfectly giving CH lots of options. His goal scoring has lacked this season so perhaps March, Murphy and possibly Lua Lua will get some game time while he tries to find some form.

Yeah, but apart from that, what has he EVER done for us.........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems that when he plays people would rather CH had picked Murphy and when not in the team CH should have put him instead of Murphy but now we add March to the equation

Last edited:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
There is a lot of competition for places in the wide areas and players who don't get to play every will often find it a struggle to find consistency.

CH rates Jiri as a valuable member of our squad and as said above, if good enough for Chris, good enough for me. If any player is struggling for form, then this is when he needs our support most.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Some people clearly see a different game. He provides excellent screen cover for our left back (Bong had good reason to be grateful yesterday) and of all our wingers he is the most effective in preventing both full backs and wingers pushing too far forward. Exceptional crossing ability and never stops running. If not best blessed with pace he has much else to offer.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Admittedly he had a below average 60 mins, but then so did most of the team till Brum dropped deep and Solly came on. Playing on the left may not be his best position, But Knocky will always take the right side.
People have short memories, he was suberb in the Norwich game.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's a winger, they're all a bit flakey sometimes. Yesterday wasn't one of his best games, but another time he'll be very good. His defensive work is pretty good generally and although he's going through a quiet patch, he's capable of being top quality for us. Personally, I think it's nice to have a wingers that're not exactly the same as each other. Murphy, March, Skalak and Knockaert all offer something a bit different to suit different occasions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here