Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think I disagree too. He is indeed inconsistent but I don't think he is "too" inconsistent to warrant a starting spot. March is coming back from injury and has the potential to be an excellent player, but as yet hasn't quite nailed down a starting spot.

Murphy is more interesting and for me is competing with Skalak - he is certainly very consistent and dependable, but sometimes there are games where you just know that his style of running at the fullback threatening to cut inside isn't going to be effective. It is those games where Skalak can win a game with his delivery, even if he does little else all game - Norwich is the obvious example of this. One thing I do tire of is hearing how Skalak doesn't work hard enough because he clearly does as far as I'm concerned. He worked his nuts off in the Fulham home game even though he had a shite first half, yet people on here were using his work-rate as a stick to beat him with rather than other attributes to his game that really weren't working.

There is another couple of issues I think regarding the Skalak Yes or No argument which I often discuss with people.

Knocky has understandably been a wee bit out of sorts recently and I think he shouldn't be beyond being rested or benched for more in form players. And YES I know he can turn a game in an instant with one tiny bit of Magic and for that reason that's why he more often than not plays.

I think the problem with Murphy often losing his place even after he has played well. The same with Solly is that it starts to make them think. ''What do I really need to do to retain my place on a more regular basis''?

I have no doubt whatsoever that when they are replaced that they are told the reason why they are being replaced and it is probably tactical and based on how they want to play against the opposition in the up and coming match; however, I like to see a settled team because it builds confidence in players and I just sometimes think tactical changes, although they have been fruitful and good, it might come at the expense of some players confidence.

This is just a minor thing I often think on but I cant really have any cause for complaint because the run of wins and draws we have had this season has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Remind me was it the Norwich game that Jiri had 3 assists?

Why isn't it possible to be pleased and proud of all in players instead of always trying to find one to crap on?

Typical fookin Brighton fans, this kind of thing really gets on my tits.

This

The stuff that people shout at players at games, and the bed wetting on here, is pathetic.

The only brighton player that has deserved abuse in the Amex years is leon best

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I think he has great dead ball skills, and a decent cross on him as well. He isn't the quickest and can't take on players like Murphy or March, but he does offer something different to what we have. He can strike the ball very well and is a goal threat. He works hard for the team and does a good job. I actually get excited now when we have a free kick or corner.

He didn't take one free kick or corner on Saturday against Preston. Norwood and Knocky took them all. Not sure what he offers if he isn't on these!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He didn't take one free kick or corner on Saturday against Preston. Norwood and Knocky took them all. Not sure what he offers if he isn't on these!
As he's getting more game time I've been getting ever more impressed with Norwood's dead ball delivery.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is another couple of issues I think regarding the Skalak Yes or No argument which I often discuss with people.

Knocky has understandably been a wee bit out of sorts recently and I think he shouldn't be beyond being rested or benched for more in form players. And YES I know he can turn a game in an instant with one tiny bit of Magic and for that reason that's why he more often than not plays.

I think the problem with Murphy often losing his place even after he has played well. The same with Solly is that it starts to make them think. ''What do I really need to do to retain my place on a more regular basis''?

I have no doubt whatsoever that when they are replaced that they are told the reason why they are being replaced and it is probably tactical and based on how they want to play against the opposition in the up and coming match; however, I like to see a settled team because it builds confidence in players and I just sometimes think tactical changes, although they have been fruitful and good, it might come at the expense of some players confidence.

This is just a minor thing I often think on but I cant really have any cause for complaint because the run of wins and draws we have had this season has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Delightfully nuanced post. I agree with that.:cheers:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Regardless of what's written on here I like him. He's honest and trying to adapt to life in a different country in a successful team. His contribution last season alone was good enough for me and his cross for Murray v Norwich on his weaker foot going outside the full back and his interview after the event where he spoke about trying to adapt his game means i'll always applaud his efforts.

Wasters that choose to criticise can do one as I believe the youngsters say today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here