Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is not much of the season left for him to adjust to the championship and we are on the brink of possible promotion.
Some players need time to adjust to so many things before settling down and showing their true potential.
The question should be asked that with the remaining games plus a pre season is he good enough to play at the highest level, if we fail to gain promotion I think he will be good enough for the championship after a full pre season and knowing how to play in this league the way Chris wants him to play.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He didn't look up before he crossed which to me suggests to me more luck than judgment.
Oi muppet.... you are at the byline, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out where the goal is and which direction he needs to kick it....... you are Welsh anyway, what do you know about football.?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yep - 2 assists so far in little pitch time is encouraging...

Yeh he could be. Needs to be given time.

Cardiff I agree - MK Dons he was our worst player by a country mile for me - and most around me. However deserves huge credit for that cross during an 'off day'.

I like him but I fear he may not be good enough for the standard required in this league. Of course I'll give him time & hope my hunch is wrong. I really really hope [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] bounces this in 6 months and makes me look a tit :lol:

I know he didn't set the park alight but to say he was worse than Wilson

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Skalek clearly has talent, the two assists are evidence of that. It is also clear that he is still pick up the style and pace of Championship football, as evidenced by his somewhat erratic general play. Skalek has the potential to be a very good player for us, but he definitely needs time to bed into the english game. he was woeful on saturday and then comes up with a peach of a cross for the goal. it's up to Hughton to fashion this raw talent into a consistent performer.

One thing we don not have to worry about is workrate, effort and a desire to succeed, he has those qualities in spades. We are a long way from seeing the best of him this season, but a little patience could reap reward in the future.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I think like others have said in this topic and as I have said before, he needs game time to fully adapt.

I think it speaks volumes that he but has been able to produce two sublime crosses which have been converted into goals for us in this period of adaptation.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
In an earlier post I commented that he was erratic due mainly to trying too hard to impress. As a consequence this has led him into making mistakes through poor decision making or being tactically inept at vital moments.

Decision making is largely about percentage and probabilities. keeping it simple and playing the obvious ball is statistically the right thing to do. Many footballers have made careers out of making easy passes and obvious decisions and positioning themselves in the most useful locations having read the game well.

Trying too hard or trying to impress are sure fire ways of making yourself look unreliable

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it speaks volumes that he but has been able to produce two sublime crosses which have been converted into goals for us in this period of adaptation.
And another against Cardiff that Bobby didn't convert.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Murphy was written off on NSC after his first few games. Looks like the same has happened with Skalak :nono:

Nobody has 'written him off' - just offered some opinions on initial thoughts of the lad after seeing very little of him. We all agree he needs time of course.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Skalek clearly has talent, the two assists are evidence of that. It is also clear that he is still pick up the style and pace of Championship football, as evidenced by his somewhat erratic general play. Skalek has the potential to be a very good player for us, but he definitely needs time to bed into the english game. he was woeful on saturday and then comes up with a peach of a cross for the goal. it's up to Hughton to fashion this raw talent into a consistent performer.

One thing we don not have to worry about is workrate, effort and a desire to succeed, he has those qualities in spades. We are a long way from seeing the best of him this season, but a little patience could reap reward in the future.

Agree with this 100%. Time will tell, but his willingness to succeed and effort is there for all to see. He was poor Sat, but at least he was trying his best..!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Key assist for winning goal as it turned out, though.

Absolutely. The one thing of note he did was HUGE. That's a good sign. The rest of his play - well let's just say he had a bad day and not a lot came off. We are allowed to criticise players' performances even when we win despite NSC's unwritten rules ;)

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Very average up until the cross as he has been the times I have seen him. I think he will be good with more game time but on the final furlong should we be giving him starting opportunities to help him improve or go for tried and tested and bring him on as a sub.

As others say Wilson was worse seems very lazy or just not match fit still.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think he will be given time and the opportunities. Largely because he is a 100% CH signing. He was scouted by CH's own scouting team which he brought in so on the back of that they are probably aware of what he is capable of.

That said. For me I havn't seen anything which says to me ''YES we have something special here'' I don't say that it isn't there. Just that I havn't seen it yet but I am ever hopeful.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He clearly has talent, I think the biggest issue with him is where he plays best?
A few quality crosses and he tracks back well, however I got the feel at MKD that playing wide was not his natural position as he kept on coming into the No. 10 position instead of staying out on the touchline.
I'm sure the coaching staff will sort him out and get the best out of him, he does have a future at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here