Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Mcnulty

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've lived with one kidney for over 40 years. I had cancer when I was a mere babe, and at 14 months old I had one removed. As I was so young I can't compare the difference with/without but for most of my life I have done sports ok - and never been told that I shouldn't.

Unfortunately, recently, my second one is failing too, so at some point it will be dialysis for me and maybe a transaplant if I'm lucky enough. The docs seem to think I should be ok for another 10 years or so the way I am at the mo, before the serious stuff kicks in.

Out of interest how does having one kidney affect you day to day life if you don't mind me asking? Is it ever a hinderance or is it kinda always on the back of your mind etc? Just curious. :)

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Poor guy. Hope that he can carry on playing as much for his sake as ours. If not, hope the club can support him until he can sort himself out, even though he was only hear for a short time.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Yet more proof that refs this season have been utterly imcompetent. No-one they need a respect capaign. If anyone else was as bad at their job they'd be sacked! The amount of injuries is worrying.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yet more proof that refs this season have been utterly imcompetent. No-one they need a respect capaign. If anyone else was as bad at their job they'd be sacked! The amount of injuries is worrying.

To be fair, it wasn't a foul. It was just an awkward angle Jimmy Mac went in at, and it was a dodgy contact. It's a contact sport, let's not forget that. Accidents happen. Unfortunately, for Mr McNulty. :down:

Did he get the card by the way?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

but it was an accident not even a foul. Once in a million collision. Gutted for him he look(s)ed a quality player hopefully he will be up and running early next season

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Get well soon Jim, you looked quality.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Clearly you weren't at the game in question then, as McNulty's injury wasn't even the result of a foul, simply an unfortunate, chance collision.

In fact I can't think of any injuries this season (Albion ones at least) that have been the result of shocking tackles or poor refereeing.

We are where are in the table because in the majority of games this season, we have been crap. We can't blame the referees, we can't blame the pitches, the weather or the facilities at Withdean, we've just been crap. End of.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wish him all the best, he won so many over with just a few flair performances but you couldn't blame the guy if he thought the day he moved to Brighton was the biggest mistake of his life.

At least Albion have a good record of sticking with players with long tern injuries. We want to see you in the stripes again.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This is the worst news relating to an Albion player that I can remember since Barry Rees. Ironical really. McNulty looked nothing less than quality. Way too good to be playing for a team that would look mediocre in the conference. He had the potential to make a real impact at championship level and possibly beyond. Unlike some of the charlitans that we've attracted who masquerade as professional footballers, he had his career ahead of him. For once, I'm lost for words.

madhatterscfc

Mar 2, 2009
From a Stockport County season ticket holder, who just happened to be born in Heathfield and followed the Seagulls as a young kid I would like to join the other County fans and wish Jimmy a full and speedy recovery. He always gave 110% for us and god willing he will be doing the same for you shortly. Where money is concerned this game of football can be cruel and in this instance Jimmy had to leave us.
Good luck for the rest of the season (except the last game!!) and looking forward to playing you again next season with Jimmy back in full swing

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Out of interest how does having one kidney affect you day to day life if you don't mind me asking? Is it ever a hinderance or is it kinda always on the back of your mind etc? Just curious. :)

To be perfectly honest, growing up absolutely nothing. I was never told not to do anything, never had a restricted diet or anything like that. In fact, thinking about it, the only reason I was concious of it was that for my first 14 years I had to go for hospital check-ups evey few months, but that was to make sure I was clear of cancer rather than any kidney problems.

However, when I got to early 20s they found I had high blood pressure (it's never been clear whether that's related to the earlier problems or just one of those things). It seems (with my limited knowlegde of medicine) that the high blood pressure does affect the preformance of the remaining kdney and over time has degraded it to about 40% performance. I am on a lot of medication which is mainly to do with controlling blood pressure, but I do now have fornightly injections for aenemia whihc is a side affect of limited kidney function.

All in all not a lot of fun, but not catatsophic at the mo.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get Well Soon Jim. I have a friend who had her left kidney removed when she was in her 30s, was told that it would not effect her life as it is perfectly possible to live on just one. Here's to seeing Jim back for us in 09/10.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Question is will he want to resume his career? Yes, it might be a 1 in so many that he gets the same injury twice, but its still a risk.

Perhaps at our match with Stockport, both fans can chant there is only one Jim McNulty!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here