Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Mcnulty

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A bit naiive I know, but what are the implications of only having one kidney?

Are there any long-term problems to living with a single kidney?

Taken from Kidney Research UK

Most people with a single normal kidney have few or no problems, particularly in the first few years. However, some longer-term problems have been recognised and most doctors believe that people with a single kidney, particularly from birth or during early childhood, should be followed up more closely than people with two normal kidneys. Children who have had a kidney surgically removed may have some slightly increased chance of developing abnormal amounts of protein in the urine and some abnormality in kidney function in early adult life. Similar abnormalities have been found in individuals born with a single kidney. In addition, there is a greater chance of developing a slightly higher blood pressure than normal. The decrease in kidney function is usually mild, and life span is normal.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Makes the move to Brighton, and then this happens :nono: Feel so sorry for the guy. What bad bad luck. When he comes back he deserves a standing ovation and I think as a show of appreciation, as many people as possible should go.

Hope this does not sound to selfish, but may be this might make the other players think and fight for survival this season.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Blimey!
It would seem that you can quite clearly play with just the one kidney. However I should imagine he is considered 'high-risk' unless he gets a transplant. I mean, imagine if he has a similar incident on the pitch and does the same thing to his other (and now only) kidney!
It doesn't bare thinking about :nono:

Don't quote me on this but I don't think he will qualify for a kidney transplant. Patients in total renal failure do but (as you often see) they are only ever given 1 as this is perfectly sufficient for a normal existence.

Kidneys (unlike lungs) actually have a spare which can take up the role of two when needed-in fact many patients don't even realise they have renal failure until both of them pretty much pack up. I guess the filtering that they do make them susceptible to failure because of calcification etc. so evolution has built in a back up plan.

Anyway, get well soon Jimmy.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Come on then MurrayMints own up you were wrong

If you could bottle the bullshit spouted on here by those who "claim to know", we'll win the Champions league year after next.

Who said "Ince will be named as our new manager in the morning" ? a few weeks back ?

Some advice, if you don't know, don't guess - FACT :angry:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've lived with one kidney for over 40 years. I had cancer when I was a mere babe, and at 14 months old I had one removed. As I was so young I can't compare the difference with/without but for most of my life I have done sports ok - and never been told that I shouldn't.

Unfortunately, recently, my second one is failing too, so at some point it will be dialysis for me and maybe a transaplant if I'm lucky enough. The docs seem to think I should be ok for another 10 years or so the way I am at the mo, before the serious stuff kicks in.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
May be a career ending injury - with one kidney you would be perfectly fine, but may not want to risk playing and damaging the good one (however unlikely that would be)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Poor old Jim.Get well soon.Really hope to see you back in an Albion shirt soon.

What a total freak season this is turning into.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Get well soon Jim , losing a kidney while playing in the stripes makes you a REAL HERO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here