Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesse Lingard

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought he was okay, but lacked Kazenga's confidence and ambition to take opponents on - which is strange for a player from a top-half Premier League club. Scholes was a great player, but his view of Lingard seems to call into question his judgement of other players.

Lingard is still at the start of his career. I had my doubts about him when he came here as it looked like a desperate plan B when we didn't get Grabban, but he was ok. A young player going to a club at the end of the season takes a while to settle into the squad and he still scored more goals than Kaz.

If he can bulk up a bit and have a full season with us I am sure it will be a positive.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lingard is a huge talent, I think he could have done with a full pre-season here if he is/was to come so as to develop an understanding with other attacking players which I feel was a little bit lacking last season. If we can get our other players on his wavelength then watch us go.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Jesse over Lua Lua any day of the week

Jesse offers much more to the team than Lua Lua who offers only pace, a thunderous (if wayward shot) and one trick. Decent defenders can deal with Lua Lua too easily.

Plus, Jesse will improve but I'm not sure that Lua Lua, will. His pace will fade and then what?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lingard is still at the start of his career. I had my doubts about him when he came here as it looked like a desperate plan B when we didn't get Grabban, but he was ok. A young player going to a club at the end of the season takes a while to settle into the squad and he still scored more goals than Kaz.

If he can bulk up a bit and have a full season with us I am sure it will be a positive.

There is no point of him languishing in United reserves. The Premiership clubs (the top ones) know their player cannot get up to speed playing friendlies. It is clear enough with Lingard who needed to get up to the pace of the Championship playing football, and he only just about made it. Loan spell to Sheffield Wednesday or Bolton, I expect?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There is no point of him languishing in United reserves. The Premiership clubs (the top ones) know their player cannot get up to speed playing friendlies. It is clear enough with Lingard who needed to get up to the pace of the Championship playing football, and he only just about made it. Loan spell to Sheffield Wednesday or Bolton, I expect?

Are you, in a roundabout way, just declaring, that you don't want him here?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Talented player who will get stronger and better, I'd love to have him here this season. With our new training facilities, I hope Utd see us as a good choice too. But if a deal were to include a minimum number of games for him, you'd think he should be with the squad now, so Sami can make his decisions.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are you, in a roundabout way, just declaring, that you don't want him here?

I don't mind either way really. I wondered what others thought? An extra bit of acceleration in the Lualua style and he would be great. I would like to see Lualua play his role, a bit more central and coming deep as a second striker. Lualua will need more practice at his shooting, curlers with his right instep especially.

I think it more likely that Lualua could improve his shooting and guile rather than Lingard would develop that extra bit of pace.

Macca is faster. Players can improve their skills but pace is nigh impossible to speed up.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Talented player who will get stronger and better, I'd love to have him here this season. With our new training facilities, I hope Utd see us as a good choice too. But if a deal were to include a minimum number of games for him, you'd think he should be with the squad now, so Sami can make his decisions.

Out of curiosity, how do you think new pitches and a new gym etc could have a positive impact on Lingard's game?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't mind either way really. I wondered what others thought? An extra bit of acceleration in the Lualua style and he would be great. I would like to see Lualua play his role, a bit more central and coming deep as a second striker. Lualua will need more practice at his shooting, curlers with his right instep especially.

I think it more likely that Lualua could improve his shooting and guile rather than Lingard would develop that extra bit of pace.

Macca is faster. Players can improve their skills but pace is nigh impossible to speed up.

There is no evidence to back that up that statement :lolol: Kaz has been here for years and the only shooting stlye he has is to boot the ball as hard as he can. Nothing wrong with this but he is not a variety act.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Out of curiosity, how do you think new pitches and a new gym etc could have a positive impact on Lingard's game?
The new pitches are better quality, including an indoor pitch and training facilities all in one complex, which should allow our players to do whatever training is required exactly when it's required - rather than working around obstacles. If that's not correct, then it's a waste of £15m. If Man U had the choice of sending him to a similar club, but without our training facilities, I'd expect them to choose us. Of course they may choose a club that's not so similar, with advantages we don't have.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The new pitches are better quality, including an indoor pitch and training facilities all in one complex, which should allow our players to do whatever training is required exactly when it's required - rather than working around obstacles. If that's not correct, then it's a waste of £15m. If Man U had the choice of sending him to a similar club, but without our training facilities, I'd expect them to choose us. Of course they may choose a club that's not so similar, with advantages we don't have.

But i'd assume our facilities are below Man Utds so there less likely to make a difference to him compared to most other players (ie ones who haven't got to regularly enjoy great facilities)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is no evidence to back that up that statement :lolol: Kaz has been here for years and the only shooting stlye he has is to boot the ball as hard as he can. Nothing wrong with this but he is not a variety act.

So much for coaching then. Curlers is a learned skill, one that I never managed as a footballer as I was not taught how to do it and it did not come naturally. I think some of those not so near but not so wild misses were attempts at curlers. It may be with a replica Amex pitch he might get closer? A slight nudge by a defender might put him off.

[video]http://www.player.seagulls.co.uk/video-archive/article/2043834/page/1/season/2012/name/Highlights:-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Wolverhampton-Wanderers[/video]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But i'd assume our facilities are below Man Utds so there less likely to make a difference to him compared to most other players (ie ones who haven't got to regularly enjoy great facilities)
Man U want him to have some regular game time, which means he needs to go out on loan. That means Man U's training facilities are irrelevant. He'll be using the facilities of whichever club he's loaned to.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cut Inside with Deadly Force

So much for coaching then. Curlers is a learned skill, one that I never managed as a footballer as I was not taught how to do it and it did not come naturally. I think some of those not so near but not so wild misses were attempts at curlers. It may be with a replica Amex pitch he might get closer? A slight nudge by a defender might put him off.

[video]http://www.player.seagulls.co.uk/video-archive/article/2043834/page/1/season/2012/name/Highlights:-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Wolverhampton-Wanderers[/video]

This post refers to Lualua. There was even less indication that Lingard was proficient in curling a shot into the far corner using the right instep (Messi-like).

"

If a shot is on I like to open up my body and try to curl it. You’ve got to get your head and body over the ball and strike it with your instep.

If you’re going to put curl on it, naturally you would aim for the far corner, out of the goalkeeper’s reach.

If you want to hit the near-post, you’re better off opting for power and hoping the ball gets through the bodies.

Alternatively, you can try and put disguise on your shot, by opening up your body as if you were about to shoot for the far corner and then bending it to the near-post.

To do this you need to wrap your foot around the ball and use your body to generate the power."
(Ashley Young)

Lingard will struggle to make the top 25. Zaha might not make it either? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C.#First-team_squad

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Fixed it for you.

This post refers to Lualua. There was even less indication that Lingard was proficient in curling a shot into the far corner using the right instep (Messi-like).

"

If a shot is on I like to open up my body and try to curl it. You’ve got to get your head and body over the ball and strike it with your instep.

If you’re going to put curl on it, naturally you would aim for the far corner, out of the goalkeeper’s reach.

If you want to hit the near-post, you’re better off opting for power and hoping the ball gets through the bodies.

Alternatively, you can try and put disguise on your shot, by opening up your body as if you were about to shoot for the far corner and then bending it to the near-post.

To do this you need to wrap your foot around the ball and use your body to generate the power.

If that fails, scream and fall over in the box like a girl"
(Ashley Young)

Lingard will struggle to make the top 25. Zaha might not make it either? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C.#First-team_squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here