Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesse Lingard

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lingaard didn't play in the position he was suited to, he played on the wing. If his role was to link attack and midfield, he failed in my opinion.

Lopez is a play maker, he was the obvious player to play centrally and link midfield and attack. All of the player's I named could have played behind the striker linking midfield and attack last season or this.

Read the Man United forum text. They all thought his best position is central and I agree with them. Overly right footed so he played on the left and cut in and shot with right. Predictable. He did have the intelligence to run into goodish positions.

Lopez was not up to it. He tried hard put in some good crosses/passes (and some bad ones) but although he was fit enough I don't think he was quite fast enough in the games against the better sides.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I'd sooner pay the extra dosh for Stephen Ward, who is faster just as clinical in front of goal and can play full back.

If Stephen Ward is only worth £10K a week, I would say Lingard should be at £6K a week comparison. Ward is worth the extra.

Lingard did show enthusiasm and intelligence though and did not keep on falling over like an older player who could play the same role.

Err yes he did. Him and KLL could barely stay on their feet in the play-offs!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Read the Man United forum text. They all thought his best position is central and I agree with them. Overly right footed so he played on the left and cut in and shot with right. Predictable. He did have the intelligence to run into goodish positions.

Lopez was not up to it. He tried hard put in some good crosses/passes (and some bad ones) but although he was fit enough I don't think he was quite fast enough in the games against the better sides.

Why would I need to read the Man U, I imagine i've seen him play more than nearly all of them. I think his best position is central, what i'm saying is a) he didn't play centrally for us and b) i'd rather have our own players playing that role this season C) i don't think Lingaard is particulalry special or would fit into a "passing team"

Lopez didn't play centrally last season, he played on the wing for all but 15 minutes, You don't have to be fast to play that role you have to have good control, passing and vision which i'd say Lopez would beat Lingaard for

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why would I need to read the Man U, I imagine i've seen him play more than nearly all of them. I think his best position is central, what i'm saying is a) he didn't play centrally for us and b) i'd rather have our own players playing that role this season C) i don't think Lingaard is particulalry special or would fit into a "passing team"

Lopez didn't play centrally last season, he played on the wing for all but 15 minutes, You don't have to be fast to play that role you have to have good control, passing and vision which i'd say Lopez would beat Lingaard for

I am not going to argue small points. I gave up on Lopez in one game when he had the defender to beat with a clear run on goal but chose to pass as he did not have the pace or stamina. That was the final straw for me. I had always noted that he was overly right footed which makes him predictable and being slow as well was a major disadvantage.

Jesse Lingard was a puzzle in his first game. His desire and enthusiasm was ahead of his actual ability to control and trap the ball.

I think this showed that there is a big gap between the Premier reserve teams and the Championship. The Premier League teams need to loan out their players for experience. Lingard may come good for some team, but I prefer Forster-Caskey (slightly deeper role). Wide, I even prefer Solly March.

Let us hope that Ince, Forster-Caskey and Dunk have got the games under their belt to step next season? We need the first two with Stephens injured and Crofts badly injured.

Algeria showed just how effective fast players in midfield could be. The opposition could never rest and had to be very careful all the time.

Who is going to take the free kicks now that Bridcutt, Lopez and Orlandi have gone?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'd certainly have him back, got better as the season went on and his scoring record was quite decent when you consider he was being played wide for most of his time here. Yes he acted like a bit of a knob jumping on Kaz after that goal but I really couldn't give a monkey's about that now, not worth holding a grudge about it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He is young and will only get better. Right now he's an OK Championship striker.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013

This

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Highly rated in Manchester

One way of looking at it is that Ince, Forster-Caskey, March, all looked slightly ahead of him in actual play, and I think potential as well. That's a good sign at least if we take Scholes opinion on board. Scholes was not that fast and made up with it in vision and other ways which we saw a few glimpses of in Lingard. But to get in the United team ahead of Mata ??? Or ahead of Welbeck?

And United opinion is that have a few other young players who more than 50% prefer.

Jesse Lingard may move to a Championship side ???

I'd sooner we got Stephen Ward as a priority.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would be more than happy to see him return. Like Conway, he took time to start contributing well in our 'system'.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Second Striker

Would be more than happy to see him return. Like Conway, he took time to start contributing well in our 'system'.

I like the idea of a smaller more skilfull player of the Messi-type rather than the less subtle running of Ashley Barnes. But Barnes could help out in defence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_striker#Second_striker

Of course, unlike Barnes and Vokes, he could not help aerially in defence. (Just like Hazard doesn't!)

I don't think he was as fast in acceleration or sprint speed as Buckley, Lualua, Macca or Solly March and comparable to Forster-Caskey. He might have made up a fraction with his anticipation and running. I don't think he was as two-footed as Jake Forster-Caskey either. He was not up to the pace at the start.

At Forest he was replaced by Lualua who engineered the goal that got us to the play-offs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27167521

[video]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B62332563F1076266129720492032_ 26ada9986cb.0.3.14973093758239 315222.mp4?versionId=b1pKGYfb7 wEsKXVVB4uDHNFOFReoJbaF[/video]

I did like his enthusiasm though. I am with sticking with the players we know, despite their faults and injuries. Nearly, but not quite for me.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Better than Hoskins.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought he was okay, but lacked Kazenga's confidence and ambition to take opponents on - which is strange for a player from a top-half Premier League club. Scholes was a great player, but his view of Lingard seems to call into question his judgement of other players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here