Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesse Lingard

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Double this

Lightweight. Not keen to have him back. Overall, disappointed considering his goalscoring record at Brum

He didn't have a good goal scoring record at brum.

Thought he did well in the end with us, just took a while for him to settle in the team and find his feet.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I thought I was the only one that spotted that....very annoyed here too

Having said that I would take him back on loan for the season happily

Never noticed but just watched it. What a nob.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Decent, but nothing more, far rather have Barnes and rather give a player we own a go rather than paying money for an ok player who isn't ours

Who did we have, aside from Orlandi who was injured, who was creative and intelligent enough to play behind the striker? That has been our major issue for some time, the link between midfield and the forwards. Orlandi is that link, but when he's out we don't have it. I thought Lingard could fill that roll.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Didn't do it for me, had one or two good games but made me wish we still had Barnes

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He got better and better the more he played, another reason we must persist with the likes of Dunk, JFC, Ince and March.

The rewards will be huge.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who did we have, aside from Orlandi who was injured, who was creative and intelligent enough to play behind the striker? That has been our major issue for some time, the link between midfield and the forwards. Orlandi is that link, but when he's out we don't have it. I thought Lingard could fill that roll.

Its Jake Forster-Caskey and it might be valid to ask who do you prefer Forster-Caskey or Lingard? Not much to choose between the two. I favour Forster-Caskey by a fraction because he is left-footed and more of a midfielder whereas Lingard is a lightweight second striker.

I would play Lualua in the role. his movement out of defence against Forest in the last minute was better than anything Lingard did in the same role. Lualua has better acceleration and a better sprint speed as well. Kazenga is not quite so clinical in front of goal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

We did have Lopez, March, JFC, Agustein, Stephens who could do that role. This season we'll also have Crofts back

Lingaard didn't link midfield and attack, he may have done in if played in the right position but the last few months of the season (when he was playing every game) where when the issue was at it's worst.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We did have Lopez, March, JFC, Agustein, Stephens who could do that role. This season we'll also have Crofts back

Lingaard didn't link midfield and attack, he may have done in if played in the right position but the last few months of the season (when he was playing every game) where when the issue was at it's worst.
Lopez is a right midfield, March is a natural winger who was being experimented in the centre. Agustien was out of favour and Stephens was played as a box to box. None of which are comparable to the position Lingard is naturally suited to.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had a great knack for finding space that none of our other players could. More to come from him I think

That was my key observation (outside of the lightweight stuff, (which was a little overstated I thought) he really suited Oscar's desire to have the frontplayers moving around, he found little pockets of space between the midfield and defensive and seemed comfortable on the ball anywhere on that attacking line.

He was a bloody hard worker as well.

Probably not quite good enough to break in at United but he'll still have a decent career at the right club.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Its Jake Forster-Caskey and it might be valid to ask who do you prefer Forster-Caskey or Lingard? Not much to choose between the two. I favour Forster-Caskey by a fraction because he is left-footed and more of a midfielder whereas Lingard is a lightweight second striker.

I would play Lualua in the role. his movement out of defence against Forest in the last minute was better than anything Lingard did in the same role. Lualua has better acceleration and a better sprint speed as well. Kazenga is not quite so clinical in front of goal.

Whilst this is true, we need to put this into the context of Garcia's philosophy, formation and tactics. Lua Lua was better suited out wide. My understanding that Lingard was an inside forward and we'd effectively play with one winger and March being experimented as a play maker. I don't think that was successful at all.

But hypothetically and removing that context then yes, it's easier to say who could have played where and when.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: With Mata and Zaha, Lingard has not got a hope of getting in the United first XI.

If Buckley, Macca, Lualua or Forster-Caskey are fit, I don't think he is good enough for the Brighton side either.

I think I would take him (not sure) as a reserve on a free transfer at £6K a week, maybe? Not even sure about that? I wouldn't mind Zaha on a loan with options for a permanent transfer.

Mata to Southampton ???

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Lopez is a right midfield, March is a natural winger who was being experimented in the centre. Agustien was out of favour and Stephens was played as a box to box. None of which are comparable to the position Lingard is naturally suited to.

Lingaard didn't play in the position he was suited to, he played on the wing. If his role was to link attack and midfield, he failed in my opinion.

Lopez is a play maker, he was the obvious player to play centrally and link midfield and attack. All of the player's I named could have played behind the striker linking midfield and attack last season or this.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
He got better and better the more he played, another reason we must persist with the likes of Dunk, JFC, Ince and March.

The rewards will be huge.

BUt that's a reason to not re-sign him as him playing would almost certainnly mean JFC and/or March not

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
PS: With Mata and Zaha, Lingard has not got a hope of getting in the United first XI.

If Buckley, Macca, Lualua or Forster-Caskey are fit, I don't think he is good enough for the Brighton side either.

I think I would take him (not sure) as a reserve on a free transfer at £6K a week, maybe? Not even sure about that? I wouldn't mind Zaha on a loan with options for a permanent transfer.

Mata to Southampton ???

Not sure how best to summarise the areas where I disagree with you........

.......perhaps the first sentence

...........and the last sentence

..............oh, and the sentences in between those two :lolol:

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure how best to summarise the areas where I disagree with you........

.......perhaps the forst sentence

...........and the last sentence

..............oh, and the sentences in between those two :lolol:

Couldn't agree more. Imagine the scenario: Lingard gets offered 6k a week to sit on the bench at Brighton, because some guy called Perseus on NSC deemed this is his worth.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am not Paul Scholes

I'd sooner pay the extra dosh for Stephen Ward, who is faster just as clinical in front of goal and can play full back.

If Stephen Ward is only worth £10K a week, I would say Lingard should be at £6K a week comparison. Ward is worth the extra.

Lingard did show enthusiasm and intelligence though and did not keep on falling over like an older player who could play the same role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here