Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure I remember years ago a TV series about celebrities ( minor, admittedly ) looking to buy a second home abroad. One episode featured a young blonde Essex girl and her mum looking at villas in southern Spain. The host of the programme said she was JD's fiance and they were looking to buy somewhere where they could get away from it all periodically.

JD did not feature on the show as the host said his schedule meant he could not miss training or matches to be in Spain to view in person. However, Essex Blonde got increasingly carried away as the show went on by falling in love with ever more expensive and expansive properties. This required " Tina " or whatever her name was, phoning JD and saying things like " I know its about 80,000 Euros over our budget but I really love this one..." she fell for ever more expensive properties and the phone calls kept coming. In the end no property was was bought and towards the end of the credits was a voice over stating " Since this programme was made, Tina ( or whatever ) is no longer dating Jermaine Defoe "..... which is probably one of his most satisfying finishes !

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm sure I remember years ago a TV series about celebrities ( minor, admittedly ) looking to buy a second home abroad. One episode featured a young blonde Essex girl and her mum looking at villas in southern Spain. The host of the programme said she was JD's fiance and they were looking to buy somewhere where they could get away from it all periodically.

JD did not feature on the show as the host said his schedule meant he could not miss training or matches to be in Spain to view in person. However, Essex Blonde got increasingly carried away as the show went on by falling in love with ever more expensive and expansive properties. This required " Tina " or whatever her name was, phoning JD and saying things like " I know its about 80,000 Euros over our budget but I really love this one..." she fell for ever more expensive properties and the phone calls kept coming. In the end no property was was bought and towards the end of the credits was a voice over stating " Since this programme was made, Tina ( or whatever ) is no longer dating Jermaine Defoe "..... which is probably one of his most satisfying finishes !

Charlotte mears?:drool:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Charlotte mears?:drool:

Just checked that name and I think you are right, her and her mother did not come over too well in my book, they were certainly very keen to spend JD's pay packet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
generally if you're running/promoting a charity it's a good idea that people know about it. Tends to defeat the purpose if no-one knows anything about it

why do people get so bothered about WHY people are doing charity work? surely it's more important that they're doing it

Sure it is important that charity work is done. And some need a figure head. But this does not preclude one questioning someone's motives. But I struggle with the idea of someone setting up a charity and naming it after themself. It just seems very vain. It also has the potential to be polarising if it is a footballer as it might prevent rival fans or people who dislike the individual from contributing. A better name would be one which links to the specific cause in some way?

CC2

Nov 9, 2008

The very same programme where said bimbo stated that she really liked the wallpaper to which the presenter replied "it's marble....." - one of the funniest TV moments ever.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Did feel sorry for him when the 2006 World Cup Squad was announced, he had played in nearly every qualifier, but apprantly his form wasnt very good at the time, but as he said, Walcott hadn't even played for Arsenal so had no form at all, a major **** up from Sven

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And Mears was not the only bimbo WAG he has dumped sometimes after getting engaged.
For me he has never done anything on or off the pitch to make me dislike him.
He has always been a great striker for West Ham, Spurs, Bournemouth and England, always seemed to give 100%
For all the above reasons (especially the first) Jermain is ok in my book.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This is the bit which bugs me. I know little about Defoe so cannot comment on his specific case but there are a number footballers with, IMHO, quite dislikeable characters and whenever their character is questioned the charity work is always rolled out as thought it somehow negates their bell-endery. And they never shy away from mentioning their charitable deeds through either naming their charity after themselves like Craig Bellamy or splattering their personal websites with their althruistic deeds like Stephen Ireland.

Have you ever looked into Craig Bellamy's charity work? I don't care how much he earns, or how he acts on the pitch, it's superb. Definitely changed my view of him.

Some people just become little shits when they play a sport. That desire to win that helps them make it as a pro I suppose.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Cynicism aside Tony Adams seems to have genuinly turned his life around and his charity does not directly carry his name either.

He was on Goals on Sunday last weekend and came across as an incredibly decent bloke, the sort you'd go down the pub with for a few brandy alexanders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you ever looked into Craig Bellamy's charity work?

Yes. It was rammed down my throat in a number of interviews he did about 2-3 years back. In one he even said out of the blue unprompted that he did not want to talk about his charity work.............

Definitely changed my view of him.

It is, in my opinion, designed to. It has clearly worked a treat in this case.

Oct 25, 2003
i work for a charity and I can guarantee (even though I dont work in fundraising) that if we had a celebrity name attached to it we'd get a lot more in donations and therefore be able to do more work

i really don't care if a celebrity gets attention they possibly crave from their charity work....they're still doing a good thing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some people just become little shits when they play a sport. That desire to win that helps them make it as a pro I suppose.

It is this sort of idea which lets twats like Bellamy get away with being twats for so long. I could list you plenty of world beating successful people in all manner of fields who are decent citizens. It's about channeling your 'desire' in appropriate ways. You could also look it from another angle; maybe if Bellamy learnt to channel his agression and behaviour in a more optimal way he would have been even better? In all fairness he was a good Premier League player...but hardly a world beater.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was on Goals on Sunday last weekend and came across as an incredibly decent bloke, the sort you'd go down the pub with for a few brandy alexanders.

I know you're trying to be funny but I genuinely have a lot of respect to Adams.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i work for a charity and I can guarantee (even though I dont work in fundraising) that if we had a celebrity name attached to it we'd get a lot more in donations and therefore be able to do more work

i really don't care if a celebrity gets attention they possibly crave from their charity work....they're still doing a good thing

This I have no issue with. And I dont really care much about footballers naming charities after themselves. I just think it speaks volumes about their vanity.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This I have no issue with. And I dont really care much about footballers naming charities after themselves. I just think it speaks volumes about their vanity.

There's no doubt that it is probably part motivated by vanity, but really, so what? Perhaps it is just what wealthy modern footballers do these days, along with buying customised Bentleys - they clearly have an awful lot of time on their hands. In days gone past they would've spent far too much of their spare time in the pub - see Bryan Robson, Tony Adams, Paul Gascoigne, Frank Worthington (and so on) for details. Nowadays, your career is finished if you do that (and rightly so, IMO) - Jack Wilshere was pilloried for being caught smoking ONE cigarette just a couple of months ago.

So whilst I agree with you that they are vanity projects to an extent, they also presumably add purpose to wealthy footballer's lives. I end up respecting these players for setting up such foundations, but reigning in any fauning towards them by remembering that some are being paid more in a week than I earn in a year for a 25 hour week.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do you remember in blazing saddles when the black sheriff mentioned Randolph scott ( you' d do it for Randolph scott) and they all took their hats off and angelic music played as they all whispered " Randolph scott"......... Well that is how I fell every time someone mentions Frank Worthington:wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's no doubt that it is probably part motivated by vanity, but really, so what?

Personally I do not like vain people. So in this sense it matters to me. Also, I do wonder if the charity is running at it's optimal level if the figure head is a footballer of dubious merit and morals. Far better to have someone who is not as divisive at the helm? And looking at Jermain Defoe's website and his gala dinner I feel really uncomfortable with photos of people back-slapping each other in tuxedos in some swanky venue when they are raising money for disadvanted people. It's very off-putting and the focus does not seem to be 100% on the cause. I cannot help but think that if his time and money were put to better use then the charitable return would be much higher.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There's no doubt that it is probably part motivated by vanity, but really, so what? Perhaps it is just what wealthy modern footballers do these days, along with buying customised Bentleys - they clearly have an awful lot of time on their hands. In days gone past they would've spent far too much of their spare time in the pub - see Bryan Robson, Tony Adams, Paul Gascoigne, Frank Worthington (and so on) for details. Nowadays, your career is finished if you do that (and rightly so, IMO) - Jack Wilshere was pilloried for being caught smoking ONE cigarette just a couple of months ago.

So whilst I agree with you that they are vanity projects to an extent, they also presumably add purpose to wealthy footballer's lives. I end up respecting these players for setting up such foundations, but reigning in any fauning towards them by remembering that some are being paid more in a week than I earn in a year for a 25 hour week.

What do you do a paper round ..........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I am also straying from my original posts in this thread. My issue is not so mch the fact footballers have these vanity charity projects it is more the fact that for some people they seem to negate thier misdemeanors, see post #9. How often do we hear "he does a lot of work for charity" as an after thought? Charity work does not correct a wonky moral compass. It just means you are a bell-end who also does some work for charity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here