Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn's conference speech

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
sour-looking Blairites watching it on screen and making bitter sarcastic comments..
Interesting observation. The BBC also seems to be inviting these people on to Newsnight and Daily Politics etc to spread their jealous bile...

It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating that they just don't get it.

There is a new and different way and it is a way that will appeal to the vast majority of the voting public (i.e. the much talked about "many").

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
we do need to stop the "on its knees" talk, equally we need to recognise that spike is a consequence of planned expenditure. and if we want more spending, that means more deficit and debt, until such time as growth overtakes the rate of increase. and simply pretending more public spending will create more growth, that only applies if it is in the right parts of the economy (i.e. needed infrastructure with net increase in productivity) and we wave a wand to hope nothing bad happens while we ramp spending to create that increase. meanwhile, no country is adopting this approach, which suggests this is not considered the best plan.

That spike doesn't need to be a consequence of planned expenditure, it could be avoided with a tax hike. The rest of it is a pretty straight forward truism about economy management.

Personally, I think it is high time something was done about social justice in this country, but I'm not convinced tax hikes to sky high rates are the answer. It ought to be possible for the government of the day to allow people to keep a minimum of half their earned income and yet improve the situation in this regard.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Interesting observation. The BBC also seems to be inviting these people on to Newsnight and Daily Politics etc to spread their jealous bile

Agreed - there was a prime example on after JC's speech. As someone who didn't vote for Corbyn but is certainly warming to him: it wouldn't be Labour if there wasn't a good bit of self-damaging squabbling along the way, no matter how nice Corbyn tries to be. Ah well.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Simster;7095744 It ought to be possible for the government of the day to allow people to keep a minimum of half their earned income and yet improve the situation in this regard.[/QUOTE said:
So as an example of someone earning £55000 a year. In simple terms this gives net pay after income tax and NI of £39226. So you are therefore happy for this person to see their net pay reduced by £11726 so that they keep 50% (£27500)

That will be a vote winner

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So as an example of someone earning £55000 a year. In simple terms this gives net pay after income tax and NI of £39226. So you are therefore happy for this person to see their net pay reduced by £11726 so that they keep 50% (£27500)

What about other taxes... VAT, duty on petrol, Council tax, car tax etc...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Here you go [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]:

UK_National_Debt_interest.png

All fairly low level since the late 80s I would say. But that most recent spike is on the watch of the coalition.

More information here:
http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/recent_spending

When I first saw it, it made me think that New Labour or Tory really wasn't much of a choice. I don't think national spending is anything like high enough.

Pointless graph as all it shows is that the more you earn, the more you can borrow as you are able to pay the interest on higher loans.

A better graph would have been the actual amount of outstanding debt including interest and adjusted to a constant value from the opening year.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What about other taxes... VAT, duty on petrol, Council tax, car tax etc...

The original comment was about keeping 50% of earned income, this clearly doesn't include indirect taxes levied on spending, given that these are not linked to income.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I don't think you read what I wrote. I simply meant that I object to anything above 50% of total income being subject to income tax (and NI). People on a "modest" £55k a year shouldn't be taxed anywhere near 50% of their total salary, as is the case now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pointless graph as all it shows is that the more you earn, the more you can borrow as you are able to pay the interest on higher loans.
It may be pointless but not because of what you said - it doesn't show what you say at all, FFS. It is perhaps more of a commentary on global interest rates than anything else.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting observation. The BBC also seems to be inviting these people on to Newsnight and Daily Politics etc to spread their jealous bile...

It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating that they just don't get it.

There is a new and different way and it is a way that will appeal to the vast majority of the voting public (i.e. the much talked about "many").[/QUOTE

' a way that will appeal to the vast majority of the voting public'.
Yes that's right, just like that same vast majority of the voting public would love to stand up and sing 'The Red Flag ''.
Like f--k!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Er, yes it is. For a start, the first £31,785 is taxed at 20%. You do know how income tax works, right?

If you earned 55K per year you would have net take home pay (after tax and NI) of almost 40K or 72%, considerably over 50%

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you earned 55K per year you would have net take home pay (after tax and NI) of almost 40K or 72%, considerably over 50%

Which is what I originally said when I used the words "as is the case now". It seems we are agreeing with each other.

Currently, a £55k salary is taxed nowhere near 50%, and rightly so.

I would object to any tax at any salary level where total take-home amounted to under 50%. That's all I'm saying.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
People on a "modest" £55k a year shouldn't be taxed anywhere near 50% of their total salary, as is the case now.

Which is what I originally said when I used the words "as is the case now".

I have quoted what you said above and 28% is nowhere near 50%. Its is in fact closer to 50% of 50% if you can do the math.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
A speech to unify his rank and file members, and one that distances himself from the floating voters who went to UKIP and the Tories.
Floating my arse....Time British people had their tax payers money in this country instead of sending 10's of billions abroad every year....charity starts at home where the hard working Brits should not have to fund other countries.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a new and different way and it is a way that will appeal to the vast majority of the voting public (i.e. the much talked about "many").[/QUOTE

' a way that will appeal to the vast majority of the voting public'.
Yes that's right, just like that same vast majority of the voting public would love to stand up and sing 'The Red Flag ''.
Like f--k!

Have they missed the word gullible out before voting public.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have quoted what you said above and 28% is nowhere near 50%. Its is in fact closer to 50% of 50% if you can do the math.
Yes, I've explained fully that I agree with you, but I see you do continue to struggle with straight forward English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here