Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn's conference speech

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Net immigration was over 300,000 last year. You may need to build 100,000 new homes each year for a long time to keep up with demand. Or you could control immigration.

I don't disagree with your idea that immigration should be controlled, but feel it is slightly unfair to blame the shortage of housing on this. This problem has been manifesting itself for at least 3 decades (and duly ignored by successive governments whilst prices and therefore stamp duty rocketed).

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I wish people would not keep saying the country was on it's knees when Labour departed. It isn't remotely true. Some people really will just believe any old shit the right wing press and Tories tell them.

bit like saying the country is on its knees now

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
100,000 new Council Houses and Housing Association homes every year until the housing crisis is solved.

Quite simple and quite a good idea.

Yeah, because it is that simple eh....

1: Who is going to pay for it.... could be a large Tax rise in order
2: Where are they going to build them.... NIMBY
3: New infrastructure such as schools, Surgery's etc etc

Still because it is sounds good, it must be true and do able, because things are so simple when in opposition.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
" Inspirational " words for the disillusioned no doubt but with absolutely no substance on how he is going to do it, much like the Shadow Chancellor yesterday " Austerity is not a necessity, it is a choice " after leaving the Country on it's knees 5 years ago. Really taking the piss to say this I think. I am sorry I really cannot take these 2 seriously and give them a year, tops

You've never been the sharpest knife US but surely even you can't seriously think that the labour party is solely responsible for the mess of 2008? That was the banking systems fault.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Now he wants to renationalize the railways - just when they're working so well. Honestly, what's with him.

Jul 21, 2015
Love the slightly unravelled tie :)

I was looking at that and thought I've seen that outfit before then I remembered.

CQEvjBYWwAEM95X.jpg
CQEvjDQWIAANxUD.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You've never been the sharpest knife US but surely even you can't seriously think that the labour party is solely responsible for the mess of 2008? That was the banking systems fault.

Just remind me who was in Government back in 2008 and might have had something to say about how the Banking System was being regulated?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Are you seriously pleased with that effort?

"do as directed by me" ... What on earth does that mean? Can you give a few examples?

I shouldn't bother MG, his posting record displays a woeful catalogue of shallow, staccato, binary thought processing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just remind me who was in Government back in 2008 and might have had something to say about how the Banking System was being regulated?

Yep, it was the centre-right Labour government at the height of their incompetence. If Corbyn makes it to power, I do hope we don't see this sort of unregulated banking nonsense ever again. Regulation of our banking system is clearly necessary.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

And what has the current government done to ensure the banking system is now properly regulated?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Jeremy Corbyn?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
A speech to unify his rank and file members, and one that distances himself from the floating voters who went to UKIP and the Tories.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
100,000 new Council Houses and Housing Association homes every year until the housing crisis is solved.

Quite simple and quite a good idea.

There's planning permission in for 700 new homes in Newhaven at the moment, under this lot in power.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think JC's best chance of winning on Election is learning French and moving to France.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

That is a great put down :lolol: fair play to you, made me smile

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
" Inspirational " words for the disillusioned no doubt but with absolutely no substance on how he is going to do it, much like the Shadow Chancellor yesterday " Austerity is not a necessity, it is a choice " after leaving the Country on it's knees 5 years ago.

How can you argue that austerity isn't a choice, when the Tories can find the money to cut inheritance tax for the richest families in the country, whilst removing tax credits from the poorest?

Reducing the deficit isn't a choice. Tory austerity is.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
A speech to unify his rank and file members, and one that distances himself from the floating voters who went to UKIP and the Tories.

Not so sure it has unified the rank and file, actually. I was at the conference this afternoon talking at a fringe event, and while the speech was on, although the hall itself was full of cheering supporters, the bars and spillover rooms were full of sour-looking Blairites watching it on screen and making bitter sarcastic comments.
I thought it was a pretty good speech though personally.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All fairly low level since the late 80s I would say. But that most recent spike is on the watch of the coalition.
When I first saw it, it made me think that New Labour or Tory really wasn't much of a choice. I don't think national spending is anything like high enough.

we do need to stop the "on its knees" talk, equally we need to recognise that spike is a consequence of planned expenditure. and if we want more spending, that means more deficit and debt, until such time as growth overtakes the rate of increase. and simply pretending more public spending will create more growth, that only applies if it is in the right parts of the economy (i.e. needed infrastructure with net increase in productivity) and we wave a wand to hope nothing bad happens while we ramp spending to create that increase. meanwhile, no country is adopting this approach, which suggests this is not considered the best plan.

back to Corbyn, he wants to spend more, tax more too with associated reduction in growth, so he wont achieve any deficit reduction. he's get out is mythical savings of £93bn to £120bn that wont be realised - unless we seriously want to pretend the current or previous government wouldn't wave the same wand to look great.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How can you argue that austerity isn't a choice, when the Tories can find the money to cut inheritance tax for the richest families in the country, whilst removing tax credits from the poorest?

Reducing the deficit isn't a choice. Tory austerity is.

I thought his points on the self employed was a very good one too. The Tory hit on small businesses through the new rules will actually put a lot of those that run businesses and have to absorb insecurity, but often create jobs suddenly paying a lot more tax than before. But again, big business and the financial sector appear to get off scott free. The Tory Party is for the self employed and those that create jobs for themselves and others - so why are they hitting them so hard, but helping those that inherit wealth!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here