Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jaywick -Christmas on Benefits

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is this a documentary? I found your post funny until the penny dropped that it's real, not sure I could watch it as entertainment, actually not sure I could watch it at all

Yep, its a fly-on-the-wall-warts-'an-all documentary, I think this is its 2nd season although I've only seen this Christmas one. Some of it funny, some of it sad, some of it quite touching, and a lot of WTF moments.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yep, its a fly-on-the-wall-warts-'an-all documentary, I think this is its 2nd season although I've only seen this Christmas one. Some of it funny, some of it sad, some of it quite touching, and a lot of WTF moments.

And most of it is SCRIPTED so DULLARDS like you can be entertained as any thing remotely INTELLIGANT is too much for your PEA brain to take in

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And most of it is SCRIPTED so DULLARDS like you can be entertained as any thing remotely INTELLIGANT is too much for your PEA brain to take in

Well you've just made yourself look STUPID because it goes out on Channel FIVE, and everybody knows Channel FIVE only broadcast quality NOOS and documentaries made up of FACTS

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Well you've just made yourself look STUPID because it goes out on Channel FIVE, and everybody knows Channel FIVE only broadcast quality NOOS and documentaries made up of FACTS

ooophs, I didn't mean to cause a row, just never heard of the place, don't watch TV much

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be fair, I'm not sure I'd be overly keen on spending Christmas day with an alcoholic ex-con with mental problems, who's just been released from prison after attacking somebody with a hammer.

No need to make an issue of it. I just said it was 'open door' and you could choose to pop round or not as you pleased. :shrug:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I actually find it quite sad that some people are waiting to use this as "entertainment " on over Christmas, watching some of these poor sods miserable lives whilst snug in their own comfy houses with a surfeit of food and drink.

Stumpy Tim

I actually find it quite sad that some people are waiting to use this as "entertainment " on over Christmas, watching some of these poor sods miserable lives whilst snug in their own comfy houses with a surfeit of food and drink.

Hang on. I didn't wait for Christmas, and today I'm not drinking. So take that back

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to leave it to after a full slap up Christmas meal with all the trimmings, put on the Queen's speech, think for a microsecond about those less lucky then me and THEN watch this on catch up.

Seriously?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That you might just (surely not?) have taken El Pres' post seriously?

I genuinely hadn't seen his post when I posted mine , there were other posters earlier in the thread who seemed overly keen to watch others.less fortunate than themselves , and it leaves a nasty taste for me.at this time of year.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Surely an advert for giving out food stamps, rather than money? How on earth is a town like that ever expected to regenerate when the locals have this dependency?

Also this is why I oppose the minimum wage. It's a simple fact that businesses won't move in here because it's not viable employing a workforce of addicts and excons at £8/hr when you can get basically anyone else. Surely it's better for everyone that they get paid SOMETHING for a days work, rather than nothing at all? If you get 30p/hour in prison then why not say £2/hr in this place, which looks like a halfway house, I'm sure rents are not high. And don't take away their benifits when they start work, so they actually have an incentive to work. Not rocket science, just a little pragmatic.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely an advert for giving out food stamps, rather than money?

Food stamps seem a good idea in theory, but in practice they get traded for real money which is then used to buy booze and smack.

There's a further problem that not all shops accept stamps, and those that do exploit the situation by charging higher prices as they have a captive market.

The problem of how to get people out of poverty (and to be fair to both Blair and Cameron they at least tried, but IMO failed) is a huge challenge, and needs a co-ordinated approach from central & local government, as well as agencies that know what they are dealing with.

Once self interested politicians get involved, it becomes a point scoring exercise combined with tokenism like so many other social issues today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here