Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd much rather those two gents went out on loan - at their stage of development they're about reaady for that. Are you counting the untried at PL level Colwill as our 4th. CB? - bit of a leap of faith that! He might be great - but if he's our no.4, I'd wat to keep one of Clarke or Van Hecke around as well.

Leap of faith or not Colwill has been loaned in to provide cover. Is that a surprise to anyone ? He’s already made his (brief) debut this season . FWIW JPVH and Clarke are also untried at PL level.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We do now lend out defenders to newly promoted teams - albeit not youngsters, and probably as back up (or for coming on for two minutes to help see a game out, as today). A left-side view might even have been a loan to the SPL for CL/Europa League experience.

Agree Van Hecke out on loan again would be a surprise - especially as I'm pretty sure it has been suggested that Clarke is one of the players heading out - loan or permanent this summer. Wasn't it from GP himself? Clarke is a left footed CB - just how good is young Colwill, I wonder?

There was an athletic article about three players leaving before the end of the window, not including Maupay.

One of them was Clarke (the others being Kozlowski and Andone as I recall). It was suggested that we had received offers from Championship clubs but that we are hoping to recoup the money (£3m) we spent on him originally.

If Clarke and Van Hecke are off, I’m sure we’d be looking at another incoming having shipped Leo and Shane too.

The player I’d like to see us sign is a 23yr old French man named Dan-Axel Zagadou. He brings with him a ready made chant, is left footed, experienced in the Champions League, is 6ft 5” AND very good in the air but can play left-back as well as centre back. Very much like Dan Burn but over 6 years younger and much faster. He is also a free agent. However, his injury record is horrific but if he is just signed as cover………

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Estupinan and Colwell the two rather than Colwell and Van Hecke. Guess makes sense as he needs to play but can’t help thinking we’re developing someone else’s player instead of our own and will miss out on the financial profit of both

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
perhaps, but everything so far this window has pointed to clarke leaving. maybe grahams happy with the four CBs we currently have and trusts turns or tsoungi to step in if we get in a pickle in terms of numbers. turns in particular was very impressive in the swansea cup game last season
And Offiah.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I'd much rather those two gents went out on loan - at their stage of development they're about reaady for that. Are you counting the untried at PL level Colwill as our 4th. CB? - bit of a leap of faith that! He might be great - but if he's our no.4, I'd wat to keep one of Clarke or Van Hecke around as well.

jpvh hasn't played at a level higher than colwill (no, most of the eredivisie is not better than the championship) so there's just as much reason to suggest colwill will be suitable as there is jpvh, if there's a vote in confidence in one then there should be for the other imo, obviously taking into account what happens in training, which we don't see. obviously then there's the option of loaning someone in for a year with experience, someone like rugani from juve. also how do we know what stage turns and tsoungi are at? yes one would assume that a loan would be the next logical step, but I've seen nothing that's told me they'd be way out their depth of they just have to provide a bit of cover on one of two games. and then there's the fact that we need less CBs playing a back four, so there's always things potter can do to make what we have stretch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
jpvh hasn't played at a level higher than colwill (no, most of the eredivisie is not better than the championship) so there's just as much reason to suggest colwill will be suitable as there is jpvh, if there's a vote in confidence in one then there should be for the other imo, obviously taking into account what happens in training, which we don't see. obviously then there's the option of loaning someone in for a year with experience, someone like rugani from juve. also how do we know what stage turns and tsoungi are at? yes one would assume that a loan would be the next logical step, but I've seen nothing that's told me they'd be way out their depth of they just have to provide a bit of cover on one of two games. and then there's the fact that we need less CBs playing a back four, so there's always things potter can do to make what we have stretch
Yes, so I wouldn't want just one of the untried at PL level players as back up, hence I'd keep a second one too.
I'm sure Tsoungui or Turns would love to get a game for the fist team, but having watched a lot of the coverage of the U23s (as was) I am of the opinion that they are well ready for a loan, but not the PL just yet.
.....plus, of course, Estupinan adds another - as yet unknown to us fans - factor into the equation.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Naylor says yes

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If we’re going to play 3 CBs more often than not, surely we need 5 in the squad given injuries and suspensions? Unless Potter thinks Pervis can play there. But then that would mean both back ups are left footed. Feels like someone might be coming in.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Yes, so I wouldn't want just one of the untried at PL level players as back up, hence I'd keep a second one too.
I'm sure Tsoungui or Turns would love to get a game for the fist team, but having watched a lot of the coverage of the U23s (as was) I am of the opinion that they are well ready for a loan, but not the PL just yet.
.....plus, of course, Estupinan adds another - as yet unknown to us fans - factor into the equation.

we're just guessing really. I've no idea if potter rates clarke more than the youngsters, but I can see purely from an experience standpoint how he might be kept around. just seems a bit odd signing a left sided centre back and then letting a right sided one go, if we want to keep Clarke, who's left footed. appreciate there's a certain amount of wiggle room there, but I feel the club may want a more natural fix, rather than asking clarke, who I'm not sure is PL standard tbh, to play on a side of defence he's never really played on, hence maybe using one of the youngsters, who might be more naturally suited to the role left by van hecke

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we’re going to play 3 CBs more often than not, surely we need 5 in the squad given injuries and suspensions? Unless Potter thinks Pervis can play there. But then that would mean both back ups are left footed. Feels like someone might be coming in.

I agree BUT ideally we should have two right footers for RCB (Veltman & Webster), Dunk (at CB could be right or left footed) and two left footed LCBs (Colwill and ***-**** *******).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whilst I think this leaves us slightly light in reserve numbers - and has an element of risk - I think on balance a new contract for van Hecke and another loan out experience is a positive. Got to be better than a year on the bench.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
we're just guessing really. I've no idea if potter rates clarke more than the youngsters, but I can see purely from an experience standpoint how he might be kept around. just seems a bit odd signing a left sided centre back and then letting a right sided one go, if we want to keep Clarke, who's left footed. appreciate there's a certain amount of wiggle room there, but I feel the club may want a more natural fix, rather than asking clarke, who I'm not sure is PL standard tbh, to play on a side of defence he's never really played on, hence maybe using one of the youngsters, who might be more naturally suited to the role left by van hecke
Yes, you're right about one thing certainly - we're just guessing! That's what we do a lot of at this stage of the season, I guess.

Grest fun, isn't it? :)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
[Tweet]1563185713675669506[/Tweet]

Tony Mowbray looking the likely new manager at Sunderland. As he was the Blackburn manager last season with Van Hecke there I would think this may suggest a loan move for Van Hecke. He was previously linked with Sunderland. Rumour is that we want a hefty loan fee. Fair enough.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tony Mowbray looking the likely new manager at Sunderland. As he was the Blackburn manager last season with Van Hecke there I would think this may suggest a loan move for Van Hecke. He was previously linked with Sunderland. Rumour is that we want a hefty loan fee. Fair enough.

Or Neil still wants him and he ends up at Stoke

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here