Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Rovers supporter here.
JPvH has been outstanding at Championship level.
Of course, it's a massive step up to the PL, but what he offers is an all-round game, and a superb attitude.
He is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he has a decent turn of pace. He will also throw himself in front of anything!
Having so much game-time with us must have brought him on by leaps and bounds, because U23 football just doesn't have the intensity.

Khadra is a bit harder to judge.
He is extremely skillful, and before the injury, he had certainly listened to Mowbray's urgings about what to do when he didn't have the ball.
My main criticism would be that he doesn't look up.
There were quite a few times when his initial pace and footwork took him into spaces from which he could have released forwards in very good positions.
Too often, he didn't spot them or decided to take on an extra defender.
Of course, this is not an uncommon issue with young wingers!
He probably needs another full season on loan in the Championship, before a decision can be made as to whether he is good enough for the PL.

Incidentally, does your club still have any interest in signing Ben Brereton Diaz? With Mowbray leaving, there is an even greater likelihood of his moving on.
I think we wouldn't accept anything less than about 12 million, though, because we are in for a major rebuild this summer, and I doubt that Venky's will be releasing much money beyond transfer-income.
I'm happy to field questions about his strengths and weaknesses.

Good info, thanks.

I'll take you up on the Brereton Diaz offer. What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Can he consistently finish easy/very presentable chances? (That might sound like a piss take question but it's genuine. Over the last couple of seasons we have regularly missed those chances and subsequently lost a shed load of points)

Does he have pace?

What's his link up play like?

Does he have a physical presence?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Rovers supporter here.
JPvH has been outstanding at Championship level.
Of course, it's a massive step up to the PL, but what he offers is an all-round game, and a superb attitude.
He is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he has a decent turn of pace. He will also throw himself in front of anything!
Having so much game-time with us must have brought him on by leaps and bounds, because U23 football just doesn't have the intensity.

Khadra is a bit harder to judge.
He is extremely skillful, and before the injury, he had certainly listened to Mowbray's urgings about what to do when he didn't have the ball.
My main criticism would be that he doesn't look up.
There were quite a few times when his initial pace and footwork took him into spaces from which he could have released forwards in very good positions.
Too often, he didn't spot them or decided to take on an extra defender.
Of course, this is not an uncommon issue with young wingers!
He probably needs another full season on loan in the Championship, before a decision can be made as to whether he is good enough for the PL.

Incidentally, does your club still have any interest in signing Ben Brereton Diaz? With Mowbray leaving, there is an even greater likelihood of his moving on.
I think we wouldn't accept anything less than about 12 million, though, because we are in for a major rebuild this summer, and I doubt that Venky's will be releasing much money beyond transfer-income.
I'm happy to field questions about his strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for sharing this. What you've offered on JPvH and RK is hardly a surprise from viewing from afar. Like you, I have higher hopes and expectations of the former.
In terms of BBD, I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if we went for him, because I gather we were interested in January. His stock has fallen since then, but he's the profile of player that we'd go for and it isn't a surprise that we're not exactly over-abundant with forwards (although note that we've already signed the third highest scorer in European leagues -- behind Benzema and Lewandowski -- and that, hopefully, Welbeck will take up a new contract).
Happy to hear your assessment of BBD.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
The first thing is, he is NOT a target-man.
Indeed, he's not particularly at ease with his back to goal.
His preferred style is to run at defenders - often from outside the penalty-area (especially on the left)
He has a fair turn of speed, and people shouldn't be put off by his rather clumsy gait. It's amazing how often he emerges from a tackle with the ball. I think the fact that he regularly looks like he's about to lose control actually works for him!
His greatest asset is that he is an instinctive finisher.
Heading-ability is so-so. Could be better for a tall man. It seems to be a question of mistiming the jump.
Link-play is good, but he needs to improve timing, because he has been caught off-side too often.
He works hard out of possession.
As for weaknesses, he definitely has a tendency to go down too easily.
He is what you might call a "confidence-player" and he really loves to have the crowd behind him, but he's modest and likeable.

To be honest, I don't think he's a £20 million striker, but if he has someone more robust to play off, he could easily get 15 goals per season - even in the PL.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
His preferred style is to run at defenders - often from outside the penalty-area (especially on the left)
He has a fair turn of speed, and people shouldn't be put off by his rather clumsy gait. It's amazing how often he emerges from a tackle with the ball. I think the fact that he regularly looks like he's about to lose control actually works for him!
Heading-ability is so-so. Could be better for a tall man. It seems to be a question of mistiming the jump.
Link-play is good, but he needs to improve timing, because he has been caught off-side too often.
He is what you might call a "confidence-player" and he really loves to have the crowd behind him, but he's modest and likeable.

To be honest, I don't think he's a £20 million striker, but if he has someone more robust to play off, he could easily get 15 goals per season - even in the PL.

Mate, this is all really interesting, thanks for coming on and giving us your thoughts

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have they started making the mugs to keep him yet?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Good info. I would think we're a club that might be interested for the right price, but he probably falls into the one of many options category. Personally I would feel it a little risky to spend decent money on a striker who before this season had some very low scoring numbers. His figures this season are good, but also not many goals against the top championship sides and slightly pumped up by goals against teams lower down the league (10 out of 21 goals scored against teams 19th or below). Mitrovic has always scored goals in the Championship but then failed to do much in the Prem, its such a massive step up in quality of defenders. Diaz could probably do similar Prem numbers to Maupay or Pukki, but i think we need someone who is a step up from that.

What has Van Hecke been like in terms of strength and dealing with physical strikers? He's tall but always seems to look like he could do with a few gym sessions.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
#FreeJanPaulVanHecke :moo:

On another note, I thought there were rules against clubs SINGING two players on loan from the same club? Or is that just in the PL?

Or have I just made it up?!

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
brighton_tom

I think BBD would be a risk in the PL, but I suspect someone will take it!
When we get towards the end of a "window", money starts flying about.
One thing about Ben is that he could certainly be used as a "second striker". He takes a lot of marking, and that creates space for others.

When I first saw JPvH, I thought he looked like a bit of a flimsy beanpole, but that was deceptive.
Instead of bulk, I think he has that kind of wiry strength you get sometimes. (A bit like Jamie Carragher). He certainly doesn't take a step back.
I think he could be top-class with two years of PL experience behind him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
brighton_tom

I think BBD would be a risk in the PL, but I suspect someone will take it!
When we get towards the end of a "window", money starts flying about.
One thing about Ben is that he could certainly be used as a "second striker". He takes a lot of marking, and that creates space for others.

When I first saw JPvH, I thought he looked like a bit of a flimsy beanpole, but that was deceptive.
Instead of bulk, I think he has that kind of wiry strength you get sometimes. (A bit like Jamie Carragher). He certainly doesn't take a step back.
I think he could be top-class with two years of PL experience behind him.

Can you not humour us and try and be a bit more Leedsy about him? You know, claim Brighton had no idea how good he was and your recruitment and coaching team identified and nurtured the talent, and that we're keeping him as a BHA player against his will as he only wants to be a Blackburn player coz he loves the fans and is BFF with all the players.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Can you not humour us and try and be a bit more Leedsy about him? You know, claim Brighton had no idea how good he was and your recruitment and coaching team identified and nurtured the talent, and that we're keeping him as a BHA player against his will as he only wants to be a Blackburn player coz he loves the fans and is BFF with all the players.

I am very happy to take that line if it means we can keep him!

The only realistic possibility, though, is that your coaches decide he's not ready yet and allow him to return to Blackburn for another year's loan.
As we have a new manager arriving, though, that's probably less likely.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Firstly, welcome to NSC

Secondly, you won't be able to stay here long. Not only have you superbly articulated the strengths and weaknesses of two of our youngsters but outlined the limitations of one of your own players that some of our supporters believe is the new Messiah.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am very happy to take that line if it means we can keep him!

The only realistic possibility, though, is that your coaches decide he's not ready yet and allow him to return to Blackburn for another year's loan.
As we have a new manager arriving, though, that's probably less likely.

Oh no, you don’t get to keep him. But if you’re going full Leeds then you should be intending to manipulate our 22/23 player of the season vote to make sure he wins as if that’s some sort of win for you, even though it’s no more than perplexing to Brighton that fans of the club he was on loan at for 9 months still act like lovesick teenagers.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Oh no, you don’t get to keep him. But if you’re going full Leeds then you should be intending to manipulate our 22/23 player of the season vote to make sure he wins as if that’s some sort of win for you, even though it’s no more than perplexing to Brighton that fans of the club he was on loan at for 9 months still act like lovesick teenagers.

Crikey!

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
I would think he will be 1st team cover next season if Duffers moves on

Interesting that you should mention Shane Duffy.
When he was at Blackburn, I didn't really think he was PL standard, but he's done well.
By coincidence, Darragh Lenihan is almost certainly leaving us this summer.
I'd put him at about the same level Duffy was at when he departed. Again, I'm not convinced Lenihan's quite good enough for the top level.
We have two other players leaving who aspire to an upgrade as well - Ryan Nyambe and Joe Rothwell.
I cannot see either as having the necessary talent.
Rothwell can be brilliant on his day, but there is too rarely an end-product from his undoubted skill.
I suspect agents have got into their heads.
We blew our chances of a play-off place - which is disappointing - but, to be honest, our current squad would have been massacred in the PL.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
When he was at Blackburn, I didn't really think he was PL standard, but he's done well.

How would you compare JPVH to Duffy. Not so much in attributes(although that would be welcome if you wanted to) but more in ability/potential. Would you say JPVH looks more premier league capable than Duffy did when he was with you?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
By coincidence, Darragh Lenihan is almost certainly leaving us this summer.
I'd put him at about the same level Duffy was at when he departed. Again, I'm not convinced Lenihan's quite good enough for the top level.
We have two other players leaving who aspire to an upgrade as well - Ryan Nyambe and Joe Rothwell.
I cannot see either as having the necessary talent.
Rothwell can be brilliant on his day, but there is too rarely an end-product from his undoubted skill.
I suspect agents have got into their heads.
We blew our chances of a play-off place - which is disappointing - but, to be honest, our current squad would have been massacred in the PL.

When we signed Duffy it was for a championship side and he formed an impressive partnership with Dunk which shows how teamwork and tactics can work together to create something better than the sum of the individual parts. I still believe the Duffy, in the right side and with the right manager, could have a premier league career playing 30+ games a season but that isn't likely to be with Potter

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When we signed Duffy it was for a championship side and he formed an impressive partnership with Dunk which shows how teamwork and tactics can work together to create something better than the sum of the individual parts. I still believe the Duffy, in the right side and with the right manager, could have a premier league career playing 30+ games a season but that isn't likely to be with Potter

Absolutely could fit at a side like Burnley. Unless they're going to change their playing style.

It can be so much about partnerships and complementary attributes - put him with the right CB partner and he can look excellent, or pretty bad. For another example of this, see Harry Maguire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here