Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Posted this on the wrong thread before

Not sure if this has been discussed but anyone else think not being able to sign Colwill could turn out to be a blessing as JPVH is starting to look like the real deal and possibly even more suited to DeZerbi ball then Levi was?

Would JPVH even still be here if we’d signed Colwill?

What I do think has happened is that Chelsea have been fooled (by our keenness to sign him and the hype that generated) into thinking he's a ready-made, top level defender already, and thus after all the fuss they made about keeping him, are now obliged to play him every week. And also give him a whopping new contract.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will become a class defender, but he's not there yet, despite what the online Chelsea plastics wanted to believe, and is very much still a work in progress. Slotting into a side low on confidence while being played out of position isn't likely to bring the best out of him.

It would be quite funny if we'd forced their hand into picking somebody who isn't playing up to his maximum level and thus hampering their own season simply by pulling their strings all summer.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Would JPVH even still be here if we’d signed Colwill?
Yes, but we wouldn't have signed Igor Julio if we'd got Colwill. We needed a left-sided CB.

For what it's worth, I think Colwill is just as good as JPvH, he was excellent at times last year and epitomised De Zerbi ball. But we're seeing the difference of playing in a well-coached team next to experienced players, vs playing for Chelsea.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody beats Van Hecke
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
JP you're the best :love:

S02E04-0mVTA2w3-subtitled.jpg

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
he's looking like a really class act and for me is the number 1 choice alongside Dunk

wonder how long it'll be before he gets a call up to the Dutch national team

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
he's looking like a really class act and for me is the number 1 choice alongside Dunk

wonder how long it'll be before he gets a call up to the Dutch national team

If he maintains this form he's in with a shout but there's lots of competition. Van Dijk, Ake, de Ligt, de Vrij, van de Ven...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he maintains this form he's in with a shout but there's lots of competition. Van Dijk, Ake, de Ligt, de Vrij, van de Ven...
Van Dijk has felt like he's on a downward trajectory for at least two years now. That said, I'm sure it'll be a while yet before JP gets a shout, because the others are all at far more fashionable clubs, and we all know how that kind of thing works. Let's keep him quietly to ourselves for now and see how he goes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's nice of them. He's developing just fine, fyi
I did find the wording slightly strange, I suspect it was meant with regards to his contract, don’t think he’s got that long left has he?

Spotrac have his contract as expiring this summer and only £5000pw, that can’t be right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Another player that I feel deserves a bounce for his performance yesterday... and another young player that is improving all the time.

Clearly learning a lot from Dunky - some of his tenacious last ditch challenges reminded me of him a lot last night.

That big lump they had up front had every intention of out-muscling him, but JPVH was having none of it - largely had him in his pocket.

He clearly has intelligence working the ball forward, really fits into our style of play, and will only get better.

Of course his performances aren't flawless, he's still quite raw at times, but when you consider that Dunky was only just breaking into our first team in the Championship at his age - this lad has absolutely massive potential to become a world-class defender.

Well done to the club and RDZ and his team for developing what seems to be another top top talent.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Another player that I feel deserves a bounce for his performance yesterday... and another young player that is improving all the time.

Clearly learning a lot from Dunky - some of his tenacious last ditch challenges reminded me of him a lot last night.

That big lump they had up front had every intention of out-muscling him, but JPVH was having none of it - largely had him in his pocket.

He clearly has intelligence working the ball forward, really fits into our style of play, and will only get better.

Of course his performances aren't flawless, he's still quite raw at times, but when you consider that Dunky was only just breaking into our first team in the Championship at his age - this lad has absolutely massive potential to become a world-class defender.

Well done to the club and RDZ and his team for developing what seems to be another top top talent.
You honestly thought he had Brobbey in his pocket?!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
You honestly thought he had Brobbey in his pocket?!
What I noticed was after the first 20 minutes or so which were tough for JP, when the ball was played up to Brobbey either Dunk or a midfielder would try to get in front, either to stop the supply line, or to be there to assist in the tackle. By the end of the first half and most of the second half his threat was snuffed out. Overall I thought JP had a very good game. He is developing well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What I noticed was after the first 20 minutes or so which were tough for JP, when the ball was played up to Brobbey either Dunk or a midfielder would try to get in front, either to stop the supply line, or to be there to assist in the tackle. By the end of the first half and most of the second half his threat was snuffed out. Overall I thought JP had a very good game. He is developing well.
Savage pointed this out re the tv commentary

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here