Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If we were 1 nil up in the 80th minute and under the kosh I'd be very happy to see Milner subbed on.

Also his contribution in training would be huge and another player with the attributes to move into coaching down the line.

It's a yes from me.
Absolutely this. Very clever signing.

As an aside I am sure that Lallana has played a role in this as well.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
James Milner has 614 premier league appearances to date, starting in 2002. If the Transfer Markt website is correct he's missed 50 games through injury across his career.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
This is odd to me, I can understand us signing Pedro early, when Watford are pretty much done. Liverpool have a lot to play for and we're competing with them for their European place. I don't really get, from the point of view of each party, what the disadvantage of waiting to the summer to finalise and announce it is

I am not sure either club will announce this or the Pedro deals for a while. Can't stop these things from leaking though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is odd to me, I can understand us signing Pedro early, when Watford are pretty much done. Liverpool have a lot to play for and we're competing with them for their European place. I don't really get, from the point of view of each party, what the disadvantage of waiting to the summer to finalise and announce it is
That's not what #TeamsLikeBrighton do.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
we constantly talk about squad depth in terms of bodies, talk about game management and having established quality to bring on. milner ticks all three boxes and we don’t have to pay a penny. what’s not to like?
This is NSC. Give it a few minutes and people on here will be quick to let you know :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's a very moneyball signing. I like it.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
He is out of contract so can sign a deal with whoever he wants at this stage. Liverpool have probably said that they will not offer him a new deal.

It is clear from all the rumours we are trying to get any transfer business done at the start of the window.

I believe that's only true for foreign clubs. For domestic clubs I think his contract must have ended.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I guess if you get your business done early you can plan much better for pre season.
Also if we do receive some big fees for certain prized assets, it means we've signed players before other teams cotton on that we've got a windfall and jack their prices up as a result

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
James Milner has 614 premier league appearances to date, starting in 2002. If the Transfer Markt website is correct he's missed 50 games through injury across his career.
To put that in context, 614 equates to the combined total PL appearances of;

Lewis Dunk (203)
Pascal Gross (186)
Solly March (173)
Moises Caicedo (38)
Evan Ferguson (14)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People who think we shouldn't go for Milner because he's old probably also think England should ditch James Anderson because he's 40

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also if we do receive some big fees for certain prized assets, it means we've signed players before other teams cotton on that we've got a windfall and jack their prices up as a result
Absolutely. It's a big factor in terms of getting business done early.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To put that in context, 614 equates to the combined total PL appearances of;

Lewis Dunk (203)
Pascal Gross (186)
Solly March (173)
Moises Caicedo (38)
Evan Ferguson (14)
Did you i li totally spend time getting that number to exactly 614 - random and a bit too much time on your hands - but love the stat 🤣👍

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
People who think we shouldn't go for Milner because he's old probably also think England should ditch James Anderson because he's 40
Thiago Silva (38) is another good example. I know he's playing in a shite Chelsea side, but he's still decent – check out his controlled goalline clearance from last night, for example...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thiago Silva (38) is another good example. I know he's playing in a shite Chelsea side, but he's still decent – check out his controlled goalline clearance from last night, for example...
Beat CB in the league for me - now VVD has gone off the boil for a while…

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Did you i li totally spend time getting that number to exactly 614 - random and a bit too much time on your hands - but love the stat 🤣👍
I was waiting for a call so I had plenty of time to kill!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
we constantly talk about squad depth in terms of bodies, talk about game management and having established quality to bring on. milner ticks all three boxes and we don’t have to pay a penny. what’s not to like?
He’s also fluent in Spanish - he learned it at Man City specifically to try and help the new Spanish and South American players acclimatise.

He could be a good translator on the pitch for them when any new signings are still learning English

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here