Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Mclean - Sunderland refused to wear shirt with poppy on

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Wow! Someone is a "f***ing twat" for exercising their hard fought for freedom of choice. Some days there is such an absence of joined up thinking on NSC it makes you want to weep.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If everyone got made to wear one, it would be meaningless. He chose not to wear one, fair enough.

no it isnt "fair enough"

it is disrespectful and not least because of the number of good people who lost rheir lives preventing Northern Ireland from being subsumed into the south

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with the general sentiments. This is now the second Remembrance Sunday when I haven't worn a poppy (although I bought one). And it's got nothing to do with me being 'ungrateful', and everything to do with the fact that the poppy has become what it was NEVER meant to be - a political symbol. When it goes back to being a symbol of remembrance and not a sign that I 'support our troops' I'll wear one again. Others may not share this view which is obviously fair enough.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was having this debate with my housemate, she is Canadian but with a lot of family from Ireland. She was saying that a lot of her family refuse to wear the poppy and they are suprised she feels so passionately that people should wear it. Personally, I think the Poppy is just a symbol, and not wearing it doesn't mean a lack of respect for those who lost their life. You can be passionate about the loss without wearing the poppy is my stance. However, I feel strongly that wearing the poppy is a public show of support for servicemen and women both sadly passed and currently serving. The sacrifices are great and I feel wearing the poppy is an important mark of respect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with the general sentiments. This is now the second Remembrance Sunday when I haven't worn a poppy (although I bought one). And it's got nothing to do with me being 'ungrateful', and everything to do with the fact that the poppy has become what it was NEVER meant to be - a political symbol. When it goes back to being a symbol of remembrance and not a sign that I 'support our troops' I'll wear one again. Others may not share this view which is obviously fair enough.

Fair point. It's sad that it is now a political football. And the rememberence is for people that were fighting for freedoms. Where's the freedom when people get arsy if you prefer to exercise your freedom and not wear one?

I gave up wearing one a while back and I have a certain unease about our current military set up. This does not diminsh my respect and gratitude for the vast majority of the UK army though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he finds the English so hateful why does he live here and work here ?

But if everyone had to leave because of issues with the UK the place would be empty. I think you can reconcile a few gripes. I know I do :wink:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If he finds the English so hateful why does he live here and work here ?

Where has he said anywhere that he finds the English hateful? What a ridiculous comment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes please, can you get me a job on D Bahn ?

I will see what I can do. Practise waxing and curling your 'tash incase you get called for interview.

Dandyman

In London village.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If everyone got made to wear one, it would be meaningless. He chose not to wear one, fair enough.

This. I have no idea why he didn't wear the shirt and I don't care either. I'd wear it myself but still don't like the way the poppy watch seems to be going every year. No surprise the mail is reporting this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Everyone has a choice on this at the end of the day

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do work for local TV now and then, and if you don't have a poppy on what you are wearing onscreen then someone from production runs across and sticks one on.

I choose to wear one, but it is ridiculous that the thought police force them on you, even on Celebrity Juice earlier this week, when Keith Lemon got his tackle out and was having a dump in a bucket, he still had a poppy on his shirt.

What should be a personal reflection issue now is just a meaningless credentials lovein. Even the fecking LINESMAN woven into his shirt for the Chelsea Liverpool game. I can see the merits of auctioning off the shirts from the matches worn by the players with the poppies on for caused related to servicemen (and women), but LINESMEN?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
McLean is from Derry.

Not fussed if he wore a poppy or not. Naturally, being part of the UK, most N.I citizens would have been involved in the wars.

By the 2nd WW Eire was independent but thousands and thousands from there joined the British to fight with them. I respect them all who gave their lives for our freedom and happy to wear a poppy.

Each to their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here