Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Mclean - Sunderland refused to wear shirt with poppy on

C

CT1

If he's a Republican, the Republic are only just coming to terms with the fact that some Southern Irish fought in the British Army in World War One. They have been largely erased from the Irish national memory, as many people thought they should have been fighting against the British Army. It's his choice, get over it.
In previous posts on this thread you will find that I have huge respect for those who fought in wars one and two, regardless of the Irish.

C

CT1

I wasn't going to respond to this deluded young man but............................................You seem to have been brainwashed into thinking the British Armed Forces determine their own fights and make up their own rules. If that had been the case in NI the troubles would have been over by 1975, or maybe even earlier. Do you not understand that all the major 'Players' in several organisations were under observation most of the time, were well known to the security forces, and could have been 'taken out' mostly all on one day along with their lieutenants leaving those organisations leaderless. It would have been fairly easy to achieve. But no, there were rules of engagement to follow, and believe it or not no shoot to kill policy, and some idiot had to be aiming or firing a weapon at you or placing your life in immediate danger before you could do anything.

The British Armed Forces work at the will of the British Government. The Government determine where and when and what the mission is and they were in NI because the democratic majority of the population wanted them there, its as simple as that. Now onto the Falklands, I had never heard of the damn place, but the Islanders hold British Passports, wanted to be classed democratically as British Subjects which is their right, and needed and asked for the British Governments protection as you would if the russians tried to walk into England just the same as the Argies did in the Falklands, Can you not get the 'Democratic will' into your head?

Your seeing everything from one side just because your gran and auntie and uncle etc etc happen to come from the side that were not in the majority, its obvious you haven't been given a balanced view and you appear to be in the mode of the extremists that are popping up all over the world and they don't really know why or have no logical argument. You keep saying 'Their Army' well its 'Your Army' and 'Your Government' and 'Your Nation' if you don't like it please go and live somewhere else and take your hate with you, i for one have seen good men killed and their families torn apart so you can be safe in your bed at night, i've had enough of it and enough of you.
Was there no shoot to kill policy in Gibraltar? Didn't think there was. There have been many other occasions where things like this have happened. Yes, there have been times where the army had to hold back, but there have been other times where they and the police have colluded with loyalist pariamilitaries so that the dirty work can be done for them. Oh yeah, thats democracy. Please, you have no right to talk to me of democracy.

The "your army" point that you make is fair enough because I want to live in this country and therefor understand that this countries army fight on our behalf. However I know its my nation, and my government and I never haven't accepted that. If by extremist you mean what they call the "dissidents", you are beady mistaken, I have stressed I have no support for them.

I'm not saying there were no good men in the British army, I never have done. Infact I know there were good men in the army in Ireland. My family have so often told me of how nice some members of the army were through out the war, not just at the beginning. Have you not seen my previous posts on this thread? I have already spoken of the huge respect I have for those who fought in wars one or two. Those wars are the main reason I be safe in my bed at night and for that I am grateful. As i'v said before and will unfortunately will have to say again to you, If wearing a poppy resembled respect and remembrance for those of wars one and two, then I would most certainly wear one, but that isn't the case. Please don't try and tell me that the troubles and the Falklands war are the reason I sleep safe in my bed at night because your only embarrassing yourself. My family have been torn apart by the troubles, but that is the tragedy of war and it the same for both sides, not just the British, did you no that? Maybe I have had enough of you also, but we both have the right to post on here so you'll have to get over the fact that some have different opinions on different matters.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A magnificent piece of deliberate misreading of what I said. As you know, my point is simply that the Government doesn't always pick just wars. And the poppy has come to represent unjust wars as well as just ones. Therefore, in my opinion, those who have suffered at the hands of the British Army (as a result of a decision by the British Government) have every right to not wear the poppy. Now please take your seething one-eyed rage elsewhere.
You posted this " Senior people in the army should have stood up to the Govt as they should have done in the case of iraq and said they wouldn't accept it. Someone in Ireland should have turned round and said it's not acceptable that british troops are being killed on the ground as a result of a misguided decision to intern innocent catholics.

I replied with this

" Just how long do you think it would be before "senior" people in the armed forces with artillery, tanks , soldiers and strike aircraft at their disposal , decided they could make a better job of running the country than the useless , self serving shower of shit that make up our political class , if ,as you seem to want, it was deemed acceptable for the armed forces to pick and choose what missions they wanted to carry out, if the prevailing culture was one where the army felt equal to the government, how long before they decided they would BECOME the government, instead of a tool of government?

Please enlighten me as to how I "misread "your post ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here