Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Mclean - Sunderland refused to wear shirt with poppy on

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Does Turkey have an equivalent to our Remembrance Day? I'd expect them to remember those who fell defending Gallipoli as we do those who died trying to take it.
I remember being very impressed by Ataturk's comments regarding the allied soldiers who died in that campaign. He spoke with great respect.

No they dont..... only independence day..... though some people celebrate gallipoli day and there is a tomb of the unknown soldier.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
I never said it was a foreign state to me, but to the I.R.A.
I don't really take an interest in international football so not really anyone.
I travel back and forth on a British passport, why wouldn't I? Having being born in Britain with an English parent. I didn't call Ardoyne my home, someone else did and i quoted it saying i'd rather call it Ardyone.

so you are english then

you like football, but you don't like england

C

CT1

so you are english then

you like football, but you don't like england

When did I say I wasn't english? Or at least part english. Also, when did I say I don't like England? The answer to both of those questions is never.
If by England you mean England's national team, then why should someone have to support England just because they like football? Thats pathetic. There are plenty of English people who like football, but don't support the England team because some believe they have no interest or passion for playing for England. Thats not necessarily my view but its the view of a fair amount of people who have given up supporting England. Personally I don't support England, or the Republic of Ireland because I simply don't enjoy it as much as watching club football. I watch their matches on the tele but if either loose I can't say I really care a great deal. It has no relevance to my views regarding politics.
If you are talking about England as a country you are still wrong. I like England for a number of simple reasons which I hope I don't have to list. But I don't respect their army for the things they did in Ireland, the Falkland Islands and now in Afghanistan. I do respect those who fought in the wars one and two, and if wearing poppies resembled remembrance for only those wars then I would wear one, and I'm sure Mclean would also, even if its just on the basis that many Irish fought and died in those wars. But now, unfortunately, the poppy resembles those who took part in all wars, and because of this I can fully understand why someone, especially someone like Mclean wouldn't want to wear one.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
might do, you never know. After lending a mate my ST I found myself without a ticket to get home so holding my black Lloyds TSB card together with my white CoOp dividend card I manged to board a 25, I can't see passport control being more vigilant than a B&H bus driver on a mission

Remember that evening..Eastbourne Eagles season ticket and a girl with big tits queuing behind me the winning combination in my case!

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
When did I say I wasn't english? Or at least part english. Also, when did I say I don't like England? The answer to both of those questions is never.
If by England you mean England's national team, then why should someone have to support England just because they like football? Thats pathetic. There are plenty of English people who like football, but don't support the England team because some believe they have no interest or passion for playing for England. Thats not necessarily my view but its the view of a fair amount of people who have given up supporting England. Personally I don't support England, or the Republic of Ireland because I simply don't enjoy it as much as watching club football. I watch their matches on the tele but if either loose I can't say I really care a great deal. It has no relevance to my views regarding politics.
If you are talking about England as a country you are still wrong. I like England for a number of simple reasons which I hope I don't have to list. But I don't respect their army for the things they did in Ireland, the Falkland Islands and now in Afghanistan. I do respect those who fought in the wars one and two, and if wearing poppies resembled remembrance for only those wars then I would wear one, and I'm sure Mclean would also, even if its just on the basis that many Irish fought and died in those wars. But now, unfortunately, the poppy resembles those who took part in all wars, and because of this I can fully understand why someone, especially someone like Mclean wouldn't want to wear one.

Really it is a question of national pride - do you take pride in your english roots or would you prefer to be 100% oirish ? (if there is such a thing, but that is a debate for another thread, the DNA of most members of the British Isles is pretty much mixed over the past 1000 years or so)

How did you feel when you watched the Olympics or Diamond Jubilee ?
or when you sit on the sofa with your dad watching the 6 nations rugby England V Irealand waving a green flag ?

"......I don't respect their army for the things they did in Ireland, the Falkland Islands and now in Afghanistan........" but are you OK with the things they did former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Kuwait, Suez, lebanon, India, sudan, korea, columbia, etc ?

or do you wish to cherry pick the small percentage that fits in with your victim-status - "it's all the big bad english bullies fault !" ?

C

CT1

I don't take pride in my English roots but I wouldn't prefer to be 100% Irish because I wouldn't have the friends and family I have now. Its basically saying would I rather have some Irish bloke as my dad instead of my English dad now, I certainly wouldn't.

The olympics was something I loved watching, an amazing event. I didn't watch or celebrate the Diamond Jubilee because my entire family is anti-monarchy. In rugby I'v always supported England and Ireland. Been to quite a few matched but if they were to play each other i really couldn't say who i'd rather win. If it was in the world cup I would say Ireland because England won in 2003.

The things they did former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Kuwait, Suez, lebanon, India, sudan, korea, columbia, etc is something I can't speak about because I don't have very deep knowledge on the things the army did there.

Don't quite understand what you mean by that last question. I used the Falklands and Ireland as an example as to why people, especially people like Mclean, wouldn't want to wear a poppy. Not because 'its all the big bad english bullies fault' but because of the things they did in those places.

C

CT1

Really it is a question of national pride - do you take pride in your english roots or would you prefer to be 100% oirish ? (if there is such a thing, but that is a debate for another thread, the DNA of most members of the British Isles is pretty much mixed over the past 1000 years or so)

How did you feel when you watched the Olympics or Diamond Jubilee ?
or when you sit on the sofa with your dad watching the 6 nations rugby England V Irealand waving a green flag ?

"......I don't respect their army for the things they did in Ireland, the Falkland Islands and now in Afghanistan........" but are you OK with the things they did former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Kuwait, Suez, lebanon, India, sudan, korea, columbia, etc ?

or do you wish to cherry pick the small percentage that fits in with your victim-status - "it's all the big bad english bullies fault !" ?

I don't take pride in my English roots but I wouldn't prefer to be 100% Irish because I wouldn't have the friends and family I have now. Its basically saying would I rather have some Irish bloke as my dad instead of my English dad now, I certainly wouldn't.

The olympics was something I loved watching, an amazing event. I didn't watch or celebrate the Diamond Jubilee because my entire family is anti-monarchy. In rugby I'v always supported England and Ireland. Been to quite a few matched but if they were to play each other i really couldn't say who i'd rather win. If it was in the world cup I would say Ireland because England won in 2003.

The things they did former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Kuwait, Suez, lebanon, India, sudan, korea, columbia, etc is something I can't speak about because I don't have very deep knowledge on the things the army did there.

Don't quite understand what you mean by that last question. I used the Falklands and Ireland as an example as to why people, especially people like Mclean, wouldn't want to wear a poppy. Not because 'its all the big bad english bullies fault' but because of the things they did in those places.

kjgood

I wasn't going to respond to this deluded young man but............................................You seem to have been brainwashed into thinking the British Armed Forces determine their own fights and make up their own rules. If that had been the case in NI the troubles would have been over by 1975, or maybe even earlier. Do you not understand that all the major 'Players' in several organisations were under observation most of the time, were well known to the security forces, and could have been 'taken out' mostly all on one day along with their lieutenants leaving those organisations leaderless. It would have been fairly easy to achieve. But no, there were rules of engagement to follow, and believe it or not no shoot to kill policy, and some idiot had to be aiming or firing a weapon at you or placing your life in immediate danger before you could do anything.

The British Armed Forces work at the will of the British Government. The Government determine where and when and what the mission is and they were in NI because the democratic majority of the population wanted them there, its as simple as that. Now onto the Falklands, I had never heard of the damn place, but the Islanders hold British Passports, wanted to be classed democratically as British Subjects which is their right, and needed and asked for the British Governments protection as you would if the russians tried to walk into England just the same as the Argies did in the Falklands, Can you not get the 'Democratic will' into your head?

Your seeing everything from one side just because your gran and auntie and uncle etc etc happen to come from the side that were not in the majority, its obvious you haven't been given a balanced view and you appear to be in the mode of the extremists that are popping up all over the world and they don't really know why or have no logical argument. You keep saying 'Their Army' well its 'Your Army' and 'Your Government' and 'Your Nation' if you don't like it please go and live somewhere else and take your hate with you, i for one have seen good men killed and their families torn apart so you can be safe in your bed at night, i've had enough of it and enough of you.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I wasn't going to respond to this deluded young man but............................................You seem to have been brainwashed into thinking the British Armed Forces determine their own fights and make up their own rules. If that had been the case in NI the troubles would have been over by 1975, or maybe even earlier. Do you not understand that all the major 'Players' in several organisations were under observation most of the time, were well known to the security forces, and could have been 'taken out' mostly all on one day along with their lieutenants leaving those organisations leaderless. It would have been fairly easy to achieve. But no, there were rules of engagement to follow, and believe it or not no shoot to kill policy, and some idiot had to be aiming or firing a weapon at you or placing your life in immediate danger before you could do anything.

The British Armed Forces work at the will of the British Government. The Government determine where and when and what the mission is and they were in NI because the democratic majority of the population wanted them there, its as simple as that. Now onto the Falklands, I had never heard of the damn place, but the Islanders hold British Passports, wanted to be classed democratically as British Subjects which is their right, and needed and asked for the British Governments protection as you would if the russians tried to walk into England just the same as the Argies did in the Falklands, Can you not get the 'Democratic will' into your head?

Your seeing everything from one side just because your gran and auntie and uncle etc etc happen to come from the side that were not in the majority, its obvious you haven't been given a balanced view and you appear to be in the mode of the extremists that are popping up all over the world and they don't really know why or have no logical argument. You keep saying 'Their Army' well its 'Your Army' and 'Your Government' and 'Your Nation' if you don't like it please go and live somewhere else and take your hate with you, i for one have seen good men killed and their families torn apart so you can be safe in your bed at night, i've had enough of it and enough of you.

Good post.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

That's the problem though. The poppy has come to represent what government picks and chooses as its wars. Pleanty of good men and families have been torn apart by the actions of the British Army and its not good enough to simply wash your hands of it by saying its the Governments decision. Senior people in the army should have stood up to the Govt as they should have done in the case of iraq and said they wouldn't accept it. Someone in Ireland should have turned round and said it's not acceptable that british troops are being killed on the ground as a result of a misguided decision to intern innocent catholics.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's the problem though. The poppy has come to represent what government picks and chooses as its wars. Pleanty of good men and families have been torn apart by the actions of the British Army and its not good enough to simply wash your hands of it by saying its the Governments decision. Senior people in the army should have stood up to the Govt as they should have done in the case of iraq and said they wouldn't accept it. Someone in Ireland should have turned round and said it's not acceptable that british troops are being killed on the ground as a result of a misguided decision to intern innocent catholics.
Just how long do you think it would be before "senior" people in the armed forces with artillery, tanks , soldiers and strike aircraft at their disposal , decided they could make a better job of running the country than the useless , self serving shower of shit that make up our political class , if ,as you seem to want, it was deemed acceptable for the armed forces to pick and choose what missions they wanted to carry out, if the prevailing culture was one where the army felt equal to the government, how long before they decided they would BECOME the government, instead of a tool of government?

Last edited:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
If he's a Republican, the Republic are only just coming to terms with the fact that some Southern Irish fought in the British Army in World War One. They have been largely erased from the Irish national memory, as many people thought they should have been fighting against the British Army. It's his choice, get over it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Just how long do you think it would be before "senior" people in the armed forces with artillery, tanks , soldiers and strike aircraft at their disposal , decided they could make a better job of running the country than the useless , self serving shower of shit that make up our political class , if ,as you seem to want, it was deemed acceptable for the armed forces to pick and choose what missions they wanted to carry out, if the prevailing culture was one where the army felt equal to the government, how long before they decided they would BECOME the government, instead of a tool of government?

A magnificent piece of deliberate misreading of what I said. As you know, my point is simply that the Government doesn't always pick just wars. And the poppy has come to represent unjust wars as well as just ones. Therefore, in my opinion, those who have suffered at the hands of the British Army (as a result of a decision by the British Government) have every right to not wear the poppy. Now please take your seething one-eyed rage elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here