Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Beadle joins Oxford on loan

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oxford United are pleased to announce that goalkeeper James Beadle will join the U’s on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion from July 1st for the 2023/24 season.

The 18-year-old keeper, who has represented England from Under 15 to Under 20 level, was part of the England squad for this summer’s Under 20 World Cup in Argentina. Having enjoyed a successful loan spell at Crewe Alexandra last season, James joins Liam Manning’s new-look side as he looks to build on his growing reputation.

“I’m excited to get started at Oxford,” Beadle told oufc.co.uk. “I met with Liam Manning and was hugely impressed by his plans and how the club is set up. I’m really looking forward to playing my part in a successful season.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion release...

BEADLE AGREES TO JOIN OXFORD

Goalkeeper James Beadle has agreed to join League One Oxford United from 1st July on a season-long loan.

The 18-year-old joined us in January 2022 and signed a new contract at the beginning of this year that runs until June 2026.

He spent the second half of last season on loan with Crewe Alexandra, making nine League Two appearances before an ankle injury brought an early end to his campaign.

Men’s under-21s head coach Shannon Ruth said, “James enjoyed a really successful loan spell with Crewe last season, showing he is ready for the step-up to men’s football.

“We’re pleased to see one of our talented young goalkeepers getting the opportunity to show what he can do in League One. Sal Bibbo and Gordon Greer will be keeping a close eye on his progress and we wish him the best of luck for the season.”

Beadle made his England Under-20 debut in May, keeping a clean sheet in a goalless draw with Iraq.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
“Only thing I would say is 18 is VERY young for a goalkeeper, and he has no starts at League One level, so if he's come in to be number one that worries me slightly. If he's come in to be be back up to a new number 1 and will play in all the Pizza and League Cup games maybe good business for us and Brighton. “

Think this lad on the Oxford forum might be in for a bit of a surprise :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This leaves our squad looking like this >>

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Assuming we sign Verbruggen, that will leave us with a very impressive selection of young GK talent.

Verbruggen, Rushworth, Beadle. Behind them isn’t Rio Ferdinand’s kid with us and another highly rated keeper?

Surely they can’t all make the first team, we might end up with another Gyokeres/Ostigard situation, but it’s a good problem to have.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
“Only thing I would say is 18 is VERY young for a goalkeeper, and he has no starts at League One level, so if he's come in to be number one that worries me slightly. If he's come in to be be back up to a new number 1 and will play in all the Pizza and League Cup games maybe good business for us and Brighton. “

There are two other keepers at Oxford (Three until the start of this week). One of them is pretty solid and has played 200 odd games. The other isn’t bad.
I hear on good authority beadle expected to start

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well l guess those who know best at the club do, well you know, know best. In other words they obviously feel that he is up to the task.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Assuming we sign Verbruggen, that will leave us with a very impressive selection of young GK talent.

Verbruggen, Rushworth, Beadle. Behind them isn’t Rio Ferdinand’s kid with us and another highly rated keeper?

Surely they can’t all make the first team, we might end up with another Gyokeres/Ostigard situation, but it’s a good problem to have.
I can understand why people mention Lorenz (son of a famous footballing father) but let's be real for a moment - he has yet to make a single appearance for even the U-18s.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can understand why people mention Lorenz (son of a famous footballing father) but let's be real for a moment - he has yet to make a single appearance for even the U-18s.
Lorenz making or not making an appearance for the U18s (he’s made the bench a few times now) doesn’t change the point @Gabbiano was making. We’ve got a long line of talented young keepers coming through. Lorenz is one of them although as he’s only 16 he’s obviously way down that list.

At the moment it seems as though our academy has transitioned from being a school for centre backs to a school for goalkeepers.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I wonder what his nickname is…
I'd like to think it was a step on from the obvious, but I'm not sure footballers are that sophisticated.

Corbyn is obvious enough maybe?

Usborne is hopeful at best (SURELY there's a footballer or two that loves Peep Show, though maybe not in his age group :lolol:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Clean sheet in a 5-0 win over QPR. Couple of comments from their message board - “Beadle is very calm and rarely puts his foot through it. I thought on a couple of occasions he was slightly too slow / held onto it slightly too long, but I'm sure he'll learn quickly. I think it's inevitable we will get caught out at times this season, but I think we'll benefit overall from his ability to play out from the back”
“beadle is very calm for his age… perhaps too calm 😂
Oxford fans not yet comfortable with De Zerbi ball it would appear!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BEADLE SIGNS NEW LONG-TERM DEAL

Goalkeeper James Beadle has signed a new contract until June 2028.

The England under-20 keeper is currently on loan with Oxford United and has been an ever-present for them in League One this season.

Technical director David Weir said, “James is having an excellent season and this new contract is a reward for his progress and hard work.

“He has played for England up to under-20 and has shown with his performances with England and with Oxford this season that he has a bright future ahead.”

Beadle joined Albion in January 2022 and spent the second half of last season on loan with Crewe Alexandra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here