Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Robinson

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jakey's got ability, but he never kicked on for some reason. Maybe got into a comfort zone, among lots of mates, went clubbing etc, when he should have been doing everything to get a regular first-team spot. I think he'll do OK there, but won't ever play above League One at best, and at one stage many of us thought he could do better than that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jakes League record at the Albion:
61 starts
62 as sub
13 goals

Just not really good enough. Dined off that hattrick at Huddersfield (which was in October) and then didn't score in the League again for the rest of that season. 13 goals, with three of them coming in that one game, is just piss poor I'm afraid.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hmmm...I think he was given ample opportunity to prove himself here, with quite a few extended runs in the side. He is very much a confidence player, as they all are to an extent, but I can't help thinking that if he was ever going to prove himself at our level then he'd have done it by now.

Disappointing, but he just never developed the bottle or the instincts to be a regular goalscorer here.

Still only 22, and wasn't given a League start all season, just 5 sub appearance in fact. At an age where he is still developing, that isn't giving him much of a chance in my book.

I thought he was given an opportunity with every other manager apart from Adams, although the fact Russel Slade then didn't bother with him does say quite a lot. If two very different managers didn't rate him then really he was no good.

I just have got a terrible inkling that this Simpson will be another Jake Robinson if he signs, and and expensive one at that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Still only 22, and wasn't given a League start all season, just 5 sub appearance in fact. At an age where he is still developing, that isn't giving him much of a chance in my book.

I really wanted him to be good, but for most of the time I saw him he was either completely anonymous, or fluffing/bottling decent chances. I think he saw himself as a nippy kind of Michael Owen style goalpoacher, but what this actually meant was that his contribution outside the box was pretty much feck-all. He didn't run the channels, he couldn't hold the ball up or bring others into play as he was invariably outmuscled, and we were never a good enough team to afford to have his kind of one-touch fox-in-the-box who'd just feed off of a single chance created for him. His finishing was generally dire.

Young he may have been, but how long do you wait ? 23 ? 24 ? He came into the side, looked very promising at first, but then just rapidly went backwards. Someone else on here questioned his desire and I think that was a fair point as well. A 50-50 ball in a 1 on 1 with an onrushing keeper and you could literally SEE him shrinking back.

You can't coach that out of a player.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My theory is that he was brought through FAR too early. He shouldn't have been near the first team until a couple of years ago.

As long as he bulks up at some point he'll be a good player, but as he was with us he's just too easily bullied out of games. He's still got time on his side as he's only 22, not everyone is like rooney and built like a brick shithouse at the age of 16

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My theory is that he was brought through FAR too early. He shouldn't have been near the first team until a couple of years ago.

I'd agree with that. He first played at a time when we were so desperate for a striker we signed the likes of Mark McCammon so people were clamouring for the kid from the youth team who was scoring for fun. I always thought that was a problem with Joe Gatting as well, brought into the first team way too quickly .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think thats the first time I've ever seen the words "Joe Gatting" and "quickly" in the same sentence.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd agree with that. He first played at a time when we were so desperate for a striker we signed the likes of Mark McCammon so people were clamouring for the kid from the youth team who was scoring for fun. I always thought that was a problem with Joe Gatting as well, brought into the first team way too quickly .

But isn't that part of life as a footballer? Sink or swim?

Michael Owen wasn't built like Rooney either but he did alright at that age. Robinson's no different to most of the other youth team players that have come through (or not, as the case may be) in recent years: does alright in the reserves, gets a few chances, but never quite lives up to the reputation.

How long should we keep paying players in the youth/reserve sides if they're not good enough at 18? Three years? Four? Robinson's certainly no bigger or stronger now than he was then, so nothing's really changed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gatting has said recently that he felt he was thrown in at the deep end in a losing team. But the main problem with him, as he has also since admitted, is that he would rather have been playing cricket all along.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gatting has said recently that he felt he was thrown in at the deep end in a losing team. But the main problem with him, as he has also since admitted, is that he would rather have been playing cricket all along.

And didn't it show.
I've seen more enthusiasm and effort from a sloth on morphine.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
But isn't that part of life as a footballer? Sink or swim?

Michael Owen wasn't built like Rooney either but he did alright at that age. Robinson's no different to most of the other youth team players that have come through (or not, as the case may be) in recent years: does alright in the reserves, gets a few chances, but never quite lives up to the reputation.

How long should we keep paying players in the youth/reserve sides if they're not good enough at 18? Three years? Four? Robinson's certainly no bigger or stronger now than he was then, so nothing's really changed.

Well Hammond didn't break into the team until he was 21, and different players develop at different rates. IMO there is a lot to be said for letting players develop their game away from the "sink or swim" goldfish bowl of the first team. Yes some players like a Rooney or Owen can cope from an early age , but most need time to develop and don't reach anything like their best from untill their early to mid twenties.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Jakey will do well at Shrewsbury. Good luck to him.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely any man who still gets called "Jakey" at the age of 22 is destined for a lifetime of mediocrity?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Young he may have been, but how long do you wait ? 23 ? 24 ?

Well, he was 21 when Adams walked in, and decided that he wasn't up to it. That's too young to dismiss a player with ability.

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Well, he was 21 when Adams walked in, and decided that he wasn't up to it. That's too young to dismiss a player with ability.

Agreed I mean when you play Virgo upfront alongside Murray, where's the variation. He scored against Scunthorpe in the 4-1 drumming they inflicted upon us. He needed a good run in the side ahead of Virgo, but that's all what IF's and down to Micky's incompetent management skills:rant:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here