Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Robinson

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, yes he will. He's a very good prospect, quick, runs at people and has a good shot on him. Like so many players - especially strikers - he thrives on confidence, and unfortunately he was rarely given the run in the side that he needed.

I expect this to be a player we regret allowing to leave.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
unfortunately he was rarely given the run in the side that he needed.

Hmmm...I think he was given ample opportunity to prove himself here, with quite a few extended runs in the side. He is very much a confidence player, as they all are to an extent, but I can't help thinking that if he was ever going to prove himself at our level then he'd have done it by now.

Disappointing, but he just never developed the bottle or the instincts to be a regular goalscorer here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At one point he was being touted as a lower league Michael Owen. Good luck to him, hope he does well for you

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
will score a few and disappoint in equal part

good signing for you potentially as hopefully he will be a late developer in terms of realising his undoubted ability

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the main problem is that he's just a bit lightweight.

Looks good on the ball at times, can be fairly tricky with it, and occasionally goes on a hot- OK, warm- streak of scoring goals. But gets knocked off the ball too easily for my money and isn't likely to score you many in the air. As an opposing manager all you have to do to keep him quiet is to get a big centre half to sit on him for a few minutes and bang, job done.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he's never been given a chance either. You get a run in the team because once you get on the pitch, you justify your place by doing what you're paid to do. The reason Robinson didn't get a run is because when he got in the team he never performed consistently well and thus found himself dropped again. I can't see how it's the managers' fault, whichever manager we're talking about, that Robinson doesn't do it on a regular basis. How old does someone have to be before we stop talking about potential and start talking about simply not being up to scratch?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A senior-pro now playing at a higher level commented he would never make it because he did not have it up top. I don't know what "it" is - but Jake didn't have it. Could be okay at this level though.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Right, so he's got potential, but needs good coaching, sympathetic management and patience.

He's f***ed with us then...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think many people will say you've signed a no-hoper. There is undoubtedly something there, and he's a lot better footballer than some of the so-called strikers we've had and released over the years.

I just think he wasn't likely to show that at League One level. Maybe with a regular place in the side and a big lumbering striker beside him like...oooh...Grant Holt perhaps, he might just do something.

Holt isn't that quick, if memory serves me correctly, so Robinson might provide the pace alongside him.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
0,,10443~6039477,00.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He will score bags of goals and it will come back to haunt us...

If he scores bags of goals (big if), it'll just prove that the 4th division is more his level. He's had his chances here - I'm fairly convinced we would not be getting very far in this division if we were relying on Jake Robinson spearheading our attack, thats for sure.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I reckon he'll get 15 goals next season if he's played regularly. Not bad for a free signing. At the very least he'll be a good league two squad player-he often seemed to do well as an impact sub for us.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
No way do I think he should have started for us, but I think he should have been kept for the bench, so as a fringe player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No way do I think he should have started for us, but I think he should have been kept for the bench, so as a fringe player.

He's been on the fringes for what? 4 or 5 years? We needed to get shot

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My own view is that he is a talented youngster who we should not have got rid of.

He is a confidence player who if he gets a good run in the team, up front, will score goals.

On his day his pace and skill is fantastic. His consistency is questionable, but given the right manager I believe he can be a great player in league 2. He is small though so needs a big man to feed off.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
he never really had a good run of it, and when he got a few games he had a shit midfield behind him.

but he has talent, remember the huddersfiled hat-trick?

if he plays 30+ games for STFC this season he will score 15+ golas, no problem at all.

good luck to him, nice bloke, but needed to move on to prove it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here