Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've had enough - I've sold NSC to another party

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well half of that is true, anyway.

NSC no longer 'belongs' to me personally but to a company called Blue Seagull Technology Limited. I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet, but at the bottom of every page on NSC is the line:

North Stand Chat is a Blue Seagull Technology Limited site. Blue Seagull Technology Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 7930882

Why has this been done?

I spend quite a bit of time tinkering behind the scenes on NSC, more than Mrs Bozza is probably happy with, and recently that has focused on the adverts we carry. The result has been a dramatic upswing in advertising revenues - NSC is earning some pretty decent money now. By way of example, although it looks as though it may have been a freak month, in January NSC earned c£2,500 from Google Ads alone.

Unfortunately, with NSC 'belonging' to me, all NSC profits would be seen as personal income and as such would be liable to my income tax etc. Needless to say, I'm not a basic rate tax payer.

What does this mean?

Day to day it makes no difference at all - NSC is the same NSC it has always been, for better and for worse.

With NSC sheltered in a limited company this tax burden will decrease, meaning NSC will have to give less earnings to the tax man, which is good. However we will be paying an accountant a small fee for helping with annual returns and the like.

There is an additional benefit in all this for me. From time to time I receive various threats of legal action relating to posts on NSC. To this day none have come to fruition, but if they did, there is now far less chance of me losing my family home as action would be against Blue Seagull Technology which could easily be liquidated.

Also, with NSC's various domains now registered to Blue Seagull's registered office in Reading, maybe I'll get less personal threats from people who previously found it easy to find my details. Yes, sadly that does happen.

There are a few financial bits and pieces that have got caught up in the transition, most notably the Amazon Christmas shopping prizes. I'm just waiting for a guide on how to deal with those, but rest assured they WILL be honoured.

Now, I realise most of you will not care about this one jot - you like just rocking up here, posting some stuff and going away again. However, I've always tried to be transparent as I know some people do care.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tax dodging scum.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Will they be bringing in their own director of football?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sack the board

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
NSC is what it is today in large part because of how it's run. While lots of people won't care about this change, the fact that you've made it completely open and taken the time to explain it makes a big difference.

Thanks Bozza, and keep up the good work!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well half of that is true, anyway.

NSC no longer 'belongs' to me personally but to a company called Blue Seagull Technology Limited. I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet, but at the bottom of every page on NSC is the line:

Why has this been done?

I spend quite a bit of time tinkering behind the scenes on NSC, more than Mrs Bozza is probably happy with, and recently that has focused on the adverts we carry. The result has been a dramatic upswing in advertising revenues - NSC is earning some pretty decent money now. By way of example, although it looks as though it may have been a freak month, in January NSC earned c£2,500 from Google Ads alone.

Unfortunately, with NSC 'belonging' to me, all NSC profits would be seen as personal income and as such would be liable to my income tax etc. Needless to say, I'm not a basic rate tax payer.

What does this mean?

Day to day it makes no difference at all - NSC is the same NSC it has always been, for better and for worse.

With NSC sheltered in a limited company this tax burden will decrease, meaning NSC will have to give less earnings to the tax man, which is good. However we will be paying an accountant a small fee for helping with annual returns and the like.

There is an additional benefit in all this for me. From time to time I receive various threats of legal action relating to posts on NSC. To this day none have come to fruition, but if they did, there is now far less chance of me losing my family home as action would be against Blue Seagull Technology which could easily be liquidated.

Also, with NSC's various domains now registered to Blue Seagull's registered office in Reading, maybe I'll get less personal threats from people who previously found it easy to find my details. Yes, sadly that does happen.

There are a few financial bits and pieces that have got caught up in the transition, most notably the Amazon Christmas shopping prizes. I'm just waiting for a guide on how to deal with those, but rest assured they WILL be honoured.

Now, I realise most of you will not care about this one jot - you like just rocking up here, posting some stuff and going away again. However, I've always tried to be transparent as I know some people do care.

When do the shares go on sale?????

As someone once famously said, 'there are somethings money can't buy, NSC isn't one of them.'

Keep up the good work.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Splitter!

ps Sounds like you've done the right thing, Bozza. Fair play to you. :thumbsup:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
cool story bro

Attachments

• tumblr_l1ke4hMYtj1qzzw5do1_500.gif
    tumblr_l1ke4hMYtj1qzzw5do1_500.gif
    136.1 KB · Views: 133

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm intentionally not making this a sticky as I know a lot of people miss them, so I'll leave it floating in the hope that anyone who has an interest spots it.

Also: NSC will unashamedly be getting ever-so-slightly more commercially minded via our 'Friends of NSC' initiative. Google Adsense is a wonderful programme for us and has long supported the site, enabling it to be free to use. However, our content means we are are always walking a bit of a tightrope. If we were removed from the programme, NSC's £500-600 per month hosting bills would soon erode cash reserves so I'm keen to ensure that there are enough other sources of income to enable NSC to have a long and happy future ahead of it.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Sounds like a good idea, people offering threats to you personally are bang out of order. Its an internet forum ffs. Well done for making this site what it is Bozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here