Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ITV are so pants.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I know there’s already a thread. But I’ve digested every highlight and interview I can. And ITV keep saying the last time England scored 4 in a knockout tournament match was 66. Watch a bunch of tinpot wankers.

Everyone knows 4-1 against the Dutch was more recent. I can’t stand itv. Wankers.

Ps it might be coming home.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I know there’s already a thread. But I’ve digested every highlight and interview I can. And ITV keep saying the last time England scored 4 in a knockout tournament match was 66. Watch a bunch of tinpot wankers.

Everyone knows 4-1 against the Dutch was more recent. I can’t stand itv. Wankers.

Do you mean the 4-1 against the Dutch in the GROUP stages of Euro 96?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of their claim, you’re right, ITV are pants.

And they have our semi final in Wednesday.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of their claim, you’re right, ITV are pants.

Have we won any major games in tournaments on ITV?

I’m sure growing up both BBC and ITV had games at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Have we won any major games in tournaments on ITV?

I’m sure growing up both BBC and ITV had games at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're talking knock-out games the last England victory shown live on ITV was the 3-2 against Cameroon in 1990. Although that really doesn't count because no-one watched as it was also live on the BBC.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Fed up with commentators, not the players, who have a list of 'interesting' stats that they shoehorn into the commentary, I now often listen with the sound off. Shame you can't have the crowd noise without the chat.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
If you're talking knock-out games the last England victory shown live on ITV was the 3-2 against Cameroon in 1990. Although that really doesn't count because no-one watched as it was also live on the BBC.

In fact, I'm going to say that England have never won a knock-out match in a major championships when the match was shown solely on ITV. I've gone back to 1966 and can't see one.

But we'd never won an opening game or a knock-out match in this tournament before, so time to put that hoodoo to rest!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thought Lineker, Shearer, Lampard and Ferdinand were very good last night (cos we won?).

To be fair the BBC usually get it right - decent ex-players, decent commentators and decent pundits. ITV aren't pants though - they're pants with skidmarks ! Wasn't it the last World Cup where they cut to an advert before the end of play and missed an England goal ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thought Lineker, Shearer, Lampard and Ferdinand were very good last night (cos we won?).

Agree. The BBC always have a panel that has great chemistry and exude a natural warmth, mutual respect and a nice balance of self-deprecation and gentle leg-pulling. For me, the only improvement on their panel choice last night would have been the presence of Ian Wright. They bring a certain degree of authority and a relaxed style that just seems to work, combined with a studio set that doesn’t look like it was designed by a summer intern.

ITV fall short on all of this EVERY time. Notwithstanding the fact that their pre, mid and post match analysis is peppered with the dreaded “...join us for blah blah blah - straight after the break!” - their panel always seem to be who was available for the fee, rather than any thought to developing a balance or blend, charm or warmth. When we watch the games, we invite these people into our living rooms and there aren’t many people on ITV I’d willingly invite into my house. Certainly not Roy Keane or Graeme Souness :ohmy:

Finally, Mark Pougatch - whilst great on radio - just doesn’t seem to work on TV. He has a real shouty, hectoring style that puts me edge, and not in a good way. Much prefer the more relaxed ‘you’re in safe hands’ style of the BBC.

ITV and football coverage? Sigh.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Now now. Let's not start talking this great nation down. Once the BBC has been defunded you'll see how exceptional our great commercial televation stations really are. And let's not forget the smashing half time competitions, like 'kill and Argie and win a Metro'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fed up with commentators, not the players, who have a list of 'interesting' stats that they shoehorn into the commentary, I now often listen with the sound off. Shame you can't have the crowd noise without the chat.

Interestingly you're the 4753rd person to often listen with the sound off since the start of the Premier League, which was the year after the old first division was won by Leeds, who have turned it around in recent years, having been relegated into the Championship at the end of the 2003-4 season, and now have both Phillips and White in the current England Squad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To be fair the BBC usually get it right - decent ex-players, decent commentators and decent pundits. ITV aren't pants though - they're pants with skidmarks ! Wasn't it the last World Cup where they cut to an advert before the end of play and missed an England goal ?

This might not go down well in some quarters but last night’s BBC panel was also genuine and authentic. So many times during the previous rounds and matches have we heard comments such as “and we all know what’s it’s like in the dressing rooms before such a big international match” says “gazillion caps” Kelly, Alex, Laura, etc. NO THEY DON’T.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here