Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] It's Not you, Its Me Musical Blind Spots

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
3 fall into this category for me, Def Leppard, Joni Mitchell, and Santana.

Def Leppard, awful even for a poodle rock group, I quite like some Bon Jovi, Van Halen, but, apart from the fact they stuck by their drummer when he lost an arm, I can’t stand Def Leppard. And, they can’t even spell.

Santana, great guitarist I know, but I really don’t like the noise he makes.

Joni Mitchell. I love Carole King and Joan Baez, but, although a great songwriter I would be happy if I never heard Joni Mitchell sing again.

Agreed on all three

Santana should have stopped after Woodstock / 3rd album, they were sublime up until that point.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Led Zeppelin - I was a great Cream fan, and everybody assumes……. No noisy, pretentious unimaginative rubbish.
The Eagles - only ever did about two songs I liked. Loved Joe Walsh/ the James Gang. Hotel California is about 5 minutes too long.
Queen - didn’t like their material. Didn’t like Freddie Mercury.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I go out of my way to enjoy Creep because Radiohead virtually disowned it. 'That's not who we are'. - That's a shame because its the only half decent thing you ever did, you self obsessed bunch of Pink Floyd wannabes.

Good point , Pink Floyd

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Genesis

woeful dirge, I know what I like is an exception but the rest is just tedious gash that seems to have got worse as they became more commercial.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've found that I've got to like a few bands that I hated when I was younger.

For me that's Cardiacs. When I heard this in the eighties, I thought that they were atonal, intense, scary and a bit silly. I hated them. I came back to them recently and they were still atonal, intense, scary and a bit silly and I loved them for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVjSycDJatc

I remember, on a documentary about Vic and Bob, Matt Lucas saying that, after watching the first episode of Big Night Out, he thought it so bad that he wrote to Channel 4 to complain. A few weeks later he thought it was the greatest show ever made. He talked about becoming fascinated by something that at first repelled you, which I find a really interesting concept when considering how we interact with art.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Genesis

woeful dirge, I know what I like is an exception but the rest is just tedious gash that seems to have got worse as they became more commercial.

How very dare you Zef :lolol:

Seconds Out is one of the greatest live albums ever. Although I do tend to agree with you about the later stuff.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
UB40 One In Ten was OK, but the rest of their output I just can't stand, despite liking other UK reggae bands and reggae in general. May stem from when I saw them supporting The Pretenders at The Top Rank, and I thought they were terrible.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Jazz, Queen, Madonna, U2, Abba, Diana Ross, Heavy Metal, Country and Western, Duran Duran and the list goes on. Found it hard to listen to the radio as so much music offends me, but now I cope with the wife's preference for radio 6.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Joy Division.

I picked up Closer and Unknown Pleasures from a second hand shop in Leeds in the early 90s. Gave them a listen, didn't think much.

A few years ago I was really skint and went through some records to sell to keep me in beers for a couple of weeks and selected them to be part of the cull. Checked them on discogs, nice textured sleeve, run out scrawl all good, no scratches. Within an hour I had £400. Making me one of the only people in history that Joy Division made feel really happy.

Still got the 12" of Love Will Tear Us Apart which is pretty good but the rest of it left me cold . . which I guess was the point. Not for me Clive.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Black Sabbath for me. They may be considered almost the founders of heavy metal but really can't get into them. Never been a fan of Ozzie's vocal style and in subsequent years I hated the whole ' The Osbournes ' reality show nonsense. And as a huge Bruce Dickinson and Maiden fan I think Sharon Osbourne ought to be burned at the stake!

The only Ozzy album I like is The Ultimate Sin and that's due to the excellent guitar work of Lake E Lee

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Queen (after the first album)
Bob Dylan
Beatles
Stones (after Aftermath)
Springsteen (after Born to Run)
Lene Lovich
Grateful Dead
Iron Maiden
INXS
Yes
ELO
The Dead Kennedy's
Weezer
Ash
Biffy Clyro
Diana Ross
Superfurry Animals
Blur
Freddy and the Dreamers
Robert Miles
Taj Mahal
Elton John (after GYBR)
Patty Smith (after Easter)
Young Marble Giants
Twisted Sister
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane
Iron Butterfly
Supertramp (after COTC)
My Bloody Valentine
Ian Gillan Band
Fairport Convention
Renaissance
The Who (with a few exceptions)
Lou Reed (with a few exceptions)
Slint
Stone the Crows
The Stone Roses
Phil Collins
Cliff Richard
Dolly Parton
Suzi Quatro
Grand Funk Railroad
CSS
Chicago
The Everly Brothers
Them
Taste
The Boomtown Rats
Link Wray
Stevie Wonder
Traffic (with a few exceptions)
The Yardbirds
Green Day
Black Flag

I could go on....

Abba

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
UB40 One In Ten was OK, but the rest of their output I just can't stand, despite liking other UK reggae bands and reggae in general. May stem from when I saw them supporting The Pretenders at The Top Rank, and I thought they were terrible.

I like signing off, but everything else they did . .I'd rather pump silicone sealant in my ears.

most UK reggae is pretty average to my ears.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A lot already mentioned on here. In general I'm fine with rock, blues, acoustic and the idea of protest but I can't stand Dylan, even less since I saw him live and Mrs GB went from being a big fan to joining my hatred.

I play a lot of reggae but UB40 are pure shite.

Indie and alternative when in the right mood but I absolutely cannot stand The Fall. Sorry John Peel and half of NSC.

On a more niche note I like techno and electronica a lot and have never heard a Carl Craig track I like.

But a big thanks to [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION] for reminding me that No Cure for Cancer exists. It's decades since I watched that.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Pixies

I have no idea if he was right or not, but I spent a day in the company of a Pixies mega-fan (he was the friend of a friend & we all went to the Oval for a test match).

He had a MASSIVE bee in his bonnet about anyone calling them The Pixies, so it was amusing to 'innocently' keep referring to them using the definite article and watch him get slowly more worked up as the day wore on and the beers flowed. By the end of the post-cricket curry, he was ready to fight the other 4 of us, while we were in stitches. People are weird.

So, Mellotron, if you really want to get on board and enjoy Pixies, perhaps you need to drop the 'The' for starters?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Muse, I change station if they come on the radio, already done this today.

Radiohead, some stuff I don’t mind but hate Karma Police with a passion, I have been known to change radio station when they come on.

Joy Division, which is odd as New Order are one of my favourite bands, I keep giving Joy Division a go but they don’t exactly cheer me up…..see Muse

Aerosmith, I would rather listen to Bon Jovi all day than one song by Aerosmith.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Twisted Sister

Interesting Twisted Sister fact. Their debut LP 'Under The Blade' failed to make much impression on its release but a few years later was partially 're-recorded at ICC studios with the resulting album providing their first commercial breakthrough.

ICC studios was originally International Christian Communications and was set up as a base for European Gospel music and is situated behind The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne.

(Well I think it's interesting)

Also, the Go-Betweens recorded 'Cattle and Cane' there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting Twisted Sister fact. Their debut LP 'Under The Blade' failed to make much impression on its release but a few years later was partially 're-recorded at ICC studios with the resulting album providing their first commercial breakthrough.

ICC studios was originally International Christian Communications and was set up as a base for European Gospel music and is situated behind The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne.

(Well I think it's interesting)

Also, the Go-Betweens recorded 'Cattle and Cane' there.

Thanks.

Love the Go-Betweens.

Dee Snider was good buddy of former Faversham resident, who once had a beer on my patio, the late Bernie Tormé, RIP.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Grew up in the 80s, indie through and through in those days, though have broadened out much more since. Nonetheless, one band that was huge in that genre and those days that I've never really warmed to is… The Cure.

They've got a couple of decent songs I agree, but there was just something about Robert Smith weaving his arms around in over-size jumpers with smeared lippy and oh god don't get me started on Lovecats and... shudder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here