Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] It's Not you, Its Me Musical Blind Spots

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm playing a rock compilation this morning. There are some old memories, (The Tygers of Pan Tang!), but also loads of things I'm not a fan of. However, although not keen on some, I'll put up with The Scorpions 'Wind of Change', Dio's 'Holy Diver' or even Rush's 'Spirit of The Radio'. However, I had to actively skip INXS. I have no particular critique of them, there is just something that really turns me against the sound that they make.

It's my guess that we all have these musical blind spots, songs, bands or artists that may have a lot in common with other stuff that we quite like, but for some reason they really grate on us as an individual. Somebody even once told me that they didn't know why, but they just hated the sound that the Beach Boys made!!

I'm not asking for everyone to just pile in on the usual suspects. I don't like Coldplay or Duran Duran, but could explain (endlessly) why this is.
I'm not asking which genres people don't like. If you don't like rap or country, then you're not going to like rap or country artists.
I'm asking for the artists that are from a genre that you generally like, that you have no conscious axe to grind with, but who you would turn off if they turned up on the radio.

I suppose it's the opposite of your 'guilty pleasures'. Here's your opportunity to say. 'I don't really know why, but I'd definitely stick you in Room 101.'
(If anyone picks an artist that you love, try not to argue the toss. We've had more than enough arguments over whether the Beatles are great and nobody ever changes their mind.)

For me it's INXS, the B52s and Martha & The Muffins' Echo Beach. I can't explain why any of them annoy me, but they all do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve rediscovered INXS after watching excellent BBC documentary. He was taken far too soon, and they produced some fantastic songs. Absolute Anthems. What I’d give to go back and be at their summer 1991 Wembley performance. It’s fair to say they just don’t do concerts like that anymore. A sea of people all in unison, like Freddie commanded at live Live Aid. It’s spine tingling stuff still to watch, never to be repeated.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I’ve rediscovered INXS after watching excellent BBC documentary. He was taken far too soon, and they produced some fantastic songs. Absolute Anthems. What I’d give to go back and be at their summer 1991 Wembley performance. It’s fair to say they just don’t do concerts like that anymore. A sea of people all in unison, like Freddie commanded at live Live Aid. It’s spine tingling stuff still to watch, never to be repeated.

I saw them at Wembley Stadium in 1986 at the Queen Kind of Magic tour with the Alarm and Status Quo. All four acts were great.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If anyone picks an artist that you love, try not to argue the toss.

Bang! First reply. Thanks NSC. You never disappoint.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Tom Waits and that voice does absolutely nothing for me, has me reaching for the off/mute every time, and this has always been the case. Must have something but beggared if I know what.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My list is not so much acts that annoy me, but more acts I SHOULD like but just can't get into despite trying numerous times;

The Pixies - Watched them from side stage at a festival in Denmark - never seen such a passionate crowd, screaming along with every lyric like their lives depended on it. Always left me cold, can't explain why.

Nick Cave - I know he's really good. I do like 2-3 of his songs. Tried Abattoir Blues - got bored after 3-4 songs.

Kanye West - Bit of a controversial one but so many people - who's music taste I respect/generally agree with - absolutely rave about a number of his albums.

Bob Dylan - Clearly a genius, but again not actually that much of his sticks with me.

The Who - I know this will irk some, but I find them UNBELIEVABLY overrated. Suspect it was a bit of a "you had to be there" thing. Entwistle is a phenomenal bassist though, obvs.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of... is one of the worst-produced albums I've ever heard. Cheesy drum loops and all musicians and vocalists just endlessly overplaying/overvocalising all over each other. Feels like no one is listening to each other at all. Clearly very talented but for me it's near unlistenable.

I'm more than happy to be challenged by any fans of the above (ie "what you gotta do is listen to this first, then this makes sense" etc), as I WANT to like all of the artists above.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
U2. Everyone gushed about The Joshua Tree when it came out. I didn't get it. Bono's voice annoys me, his name annoys me and his sunglasses annoy me. And I throw in 'Edge' as well - what kind of name is that? Pretentious bunch of planks.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Blimey [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] Aclast those icons! Impressive venting.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
David Bowie.

I can see how influential he was but I just don't like him or his music. The Thin White Duke was a horrible character somehow immortalised by the fact it was Bowie who invented him.

And I thought Blackstar was awful - somehow made amazing because it was released posthumously.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Elbow
Sex Pistols
The Smiths
Gorillaz
Queen
Kendrick Lamar

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I though I didn't like Rush until I properly listened to 'Moving Pictures' during lockdown. Now I love them and greatly regret not seeing (hearing) the light earlier and getting to see them live. So I guess I may well be 'wrong' about a number of other acts. But I don't think I am.

Given my age (50) and love of indie guitar stuff I should experience a frisson of excitement everytime the introduction to 'I wanna be adored' kicks off but I've never gained any particular enjoyment from The Stone Roses debut album. I know it's good, It just doesn't connect.

And for the life of me I don't understand why I don't like Richard Hawley and the last few Nick Cave albums.

Also I love John Grant but can't stand Rufus Wainwright, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Forgot 'The Doors'.

Wish I could completely forget them. Can't stand them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agree re the Doors, great hammond player and a load of MEH!

Who aside I agree with mellotron

I like the Stones and Zep but both are just overblown blues bands.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Big fan of lots of 70s soul/disco ish stuff but Barry White has always ground my gears, as I've no doubt mentioned on here before.

+1 with [MENTION=24109]Lower West Stander[/MENTION] on Bowie as well. 3 or 4 great songs, and a Pacific sized morass of nothingness.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bang! First reply. Thanks NSC. You never disappoint.

Like, wouldn’t say love or I wouldn’t have rediscovered them! Sorry didn’t read the rules, it was just a comment about great stadium acts more than anything. As you were… :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Steely Dan are raved and rave about by critics. I find them incredibly dull with no redeeming features at all

Similarly, Laura Nyro is hailed as a great talent, taken far too soon, but I don't find any of her songs memorable at all

Away from those two critic faves, there are plenty of major acts that I find unbearable. U2, Queen, Rush spring immediately to mind - I'm sure there are loads more

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My list is not so much acts that annoy me, but more acts I SHOULD like but just can't get into despite trying numerous times;

Pog - Watched them from side stage at a festival at Patchfest - never seen such a passionate crowd, screaming along with every lyric like their lives depended on it. Always left me cold, can't explain why.

David Bowie - I know he's really good. I do like 2-3 of his songs. Tried 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' - got bored after 3-4 songs.

Queen - Bit of a controversial one but so many people - who's music taste I respect/generally agree with - absolutely rave about a number of their albums.

Bob Dylan - Clearly not a genius, again nothing actually that much of his sticks with me, dull and there were better musicians doing the same thing.

The Beatles - I know this will irk some, but I find them UNBELIEVABLY overrated. Suspect it was a bit of a "you had to be there" thing. Paul McCartney is a shite bassist, obvs.

Robert Glasper - The Miseducation Of... is one of the worst-produced albums I've ever heard. Cheesy drum loops and all musicians and vocalists just endlessly overplaying/overvocalising all over each other. Feels like no one is listening to each other at all. Clearly very talented but for me it's near unlistenable.

I'm more than happy to be challenged by any fans of the above (ie "what you gotta do is listen to this first, then this makes sense" etc), as I WANT to like all of the artists above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here