Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] It's Not you, Its Me Musical Blind Spots

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree re the Doors, great hammond player and a load of MEH!

(Pedant alert) Manzarek played a Vox organ not a Hammond

I think the Doors are bit hit and miss. I loved them when I was a teenager but they did write some awful bilge. The one album of theirs that I do like is Morrison Hotel - and that's the one that their fans see as their weakest

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Try as I might, I just cannot get into The Fall.
Also, Kiss and Metallica (I can't bear the geezer's voice, he always seems to be trying to hard)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Like, wouldn’t say love or I wouldn’t have rediscovered them! Sorry didn’t read the rules, it was just a comment about great stadium acts more than anything. As you were… :)

No bother, I knew when asking that it would inevitably go off the rails quickly. Its part of what makes this place what it is and I wouldn't have it any other way.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
David Bowie.

I can see how influential he was but I just don't like him or his music. The Thin White Duke was a horrible character somehow immortalised by the fact it was Bowie who invented him.

And I thought Blackstar was awful - somehow made amazing because it was released posthumously.
Actually Blackstar was released two days before he died! Most of the (glowing) reviews were written without the journalists knowing how ill he was.
I remember listening to the album on the train to work, when the the news alerts came through on my phone about his death.
It was very hard to listen to after that, but it was definitely worth it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
David Bowie.

I can see how influential he was but I just don't like him or his music. The Thin White Duke was a horrible character somehow immortalised by the fact it was Bowie who invented him.

And I thought Blackstar was awful - somehow made amazing because it was released posthumously.

Big fan of lots of 70s soul/disco ish stuff but Barry White has always ground my gears, as I've no doubt mentioned on here before.

+1 with [MENTION=24109]Lower West Stander[/MENTION] on Bowie as well. 3 or 4 great songs, and a Pacific sized morass of nothingness.

Scum. Subhuman scum.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Radiohead is the standout for me, off switch as soon as they come on :shrug:

I don’t need to hear things that sound so fecking depressing and maungy

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My list is not so much acts that annoy me, but more acts I SHOULD like but just can't get into despite trying numerous times;

The Pixies - Watched them from side stage at a festival in Denmark - never seen such a passionate crowd, screaming along with every lyric like their lives depended on it. Always left me cold, can't explain why.

Nick Cave - I know he's really good. I do like 2-3 of his songs. Tried Abattoir Blues - got bored after 3-4 songs.

Kanye West - Bit of a controversial one but so many people - who's music taste I respect/generally agree with - absolutely rave about a number of his albums.

Bob Dylan - Clearly a genius, but again not actually that much of his sticks with me.

The Who - I know this will irk some, but I find them UNBELIEVABLY overrated. Suspect it was a bit of a "you had to be there" thing. Entwistle is a phenomenal bassist though, obvs.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of... is one of the worst-produced albums I've ever heard. Cheesy drum loops and all musicians and vocalists just endlessly overplaying/overvocalising all over each other. Feels like no one is listening to each other at all. Clearly very talented but for me it's near unlistenable.

I'm more than happy to be challenged by any fans of the above (ie "what you gotta do is listen to this first, then this makes sense" etc), as I WANT to like all of the artists above.

Great shout about Nick Cave. I feel like I’ve missed out, but I just don’t “get.” Strange really.

I’m also going to stick Adele in 101 (see what I did there?!!) I recognise she’s an enormous talent but again, just not my cuppa tea and more than a bit over hyped IMO which is a reflection probably of todays marketing more than anything.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m also going to stick Adele in 101 (see what I did there?!!) I recognise she’s an enormous talent but again, just not my cuppa tea and more than a bit over hyped IMO which is a reflection probably of todays marketing more than anything.

Great singer but her songs are HORRENDOUSLY bland.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
3 fall into this category for me, Def Leppard, Joni Mitchell, and Santana.

Def Leppard, awful even for a poodle rock group, I quite like some Bon Jovi, Van Halen, but, apart from the fact they stuck by their drummer when he lost an arm, I can’t stand Def Leppard. And, they can’t even spell.

Santana, great guitarist I know, but I really don’t like the noise he makes.

Joni Mitchell. I love Carole King and Joan Baez, but, although a great songwriter I would be happy if I never heard Joni Mitchell sing again.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Neil Hannon.

Arch channelling of a Kinks/ XTC-lite vibe should appeal to me but 'The Divine Comedy' just make me angry.

It's probably something to do with his frankly criminal cover version of Throwing Muses, 'Hate My Way' in which he changes some of the lyrics to try and get a laugh. Something for which he should have served time.

I reckon he saw himself as the Irish Jarvis Cocker when in fact he just came across as a smug ****.

That said, I didn't mind some of the Gilbert and Sullivan style cricket songs on 'The Duckworth Lewis Method'.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can't stand The Lighthouse Family, I just hate the lead singers voice..

I'm calling foul here.

Surely NOBODY likes The Lighthouse Family. I'm sure their chart success is only due to insurance companies buying their records to play on the phone when you're on hold.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Who - I know this will irk some, but I find them UNBELIEVABLY overrated. Suspect it was a bit of a "you had to be there" thing. Entwistle is a phenomenal bassist though, obvs.

I'm more than happy to be challenged by any fans of the above (ie "what you gotta do is listen to this first, then this makes sense" etc), as I WANT to like all of the artists above.

I'm not a huge fan of The Who, but do like a lot of what they did. I had issues with them at the beginning as I first heard them through Tommy and Quadrophenia and it was all a bit too prog for me at the time. I bought their first studio album off a market stall in the late 1980s as I'd always liked the song 'My Generation'. The debut albums of most of the big sixties groups are just the singles plus filler, so I wasn't expecting much. I ending up playing it endlessly as it's an unpretentious pop album that moves at a storming pace. Most of the songs are by Townsend but the blues, surf and soul influences are all up front and it really gives a sense of what it might have been like to actually have been there. It gave me a way in with them and I ended up liking more of what they did. It's still my favourite Who album though and, it might make me a wrong'un to some, but I'd still take their cover of 'Please, Please, Please' over 'Baba O'Reilly' or any of their lauded 'serious art' songs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tom Waits and that voice does absolutely nothing for me, has me reaching for the off/mute every time, and this has always been the case. Must have something but beggared if I know what.

Agree. Ditto Harry Nilsson.

Also could never stand the sound of Elvis Presley's voice.

boik

Great shout about Nick Cave. I feel like I’ve missed out, but I just don’t “get.” Strange really.

I've found that I've got to like a few bands that I hated when I was younger, The Fall being a prime example. Saw them a few times in the early eighties and found him incredibly annoying. I think now that I appreciate his lyrics more I can accept his delivery, and there's no band like them once they get a deep groove going. Pixies also didn't do much for me, mainly because I only heard the lightweight singles. They are at their best when they are full of brooding menace as in Gouge Away below.

Saw the Birthday Party a few times and found him to be infuriating. His "character" was the whole show I guess and it just felt that he wanted to be an actor more than a musician. Still can't get on with him at all. Still doing the same act.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This... Except for Creep..

I go out of my way to enjoy Creep because Radiohead virtually disowned it. 'That's not who we are'. - That's a shame because its the only half decent thing you ever did, you self obsessed bunch of Pink Floyd wannabes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here