Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] It’s not for girls…

Funny & Harmless or misogynistic ?

• Harmless & funny, I don’t feel guilty laughing & why should I, it’s just a laugh.

Votes: 115 69.7%
  • Not funny, it is sexist and I am glad adverts like this have been consigned to the dustbin.

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • It was funny, but I feel guilty and uncomfortable with comedy like this now.

Votes: 31 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why the f*** is anyone even talking about a forty year old advert? It's not on telly anymore.It hasn't been for decades. It wasn't particularly funny then, it isn't now. I din't get the relevance now? Or am I missing something? Has some Milllie Tant been getting herself into a funkle again? Or have the "anti-woke" mob been triggered again?

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Do you actually see anyone outraged though? I've read this thread and seen two posts on FB about this campaign. Many people referencing people being outraged and offended . . . But I haven't seen anyone actually outraged or offended?

People are more saying either it's not/never has been funny or 'it wouldn't fly today. Surely neither of these opinions is particularly outrageous?
well there are a few on here getting hot under the collar and yes , the downtown , lower east side/ greenwich village bars were interesting to say the least ....we ended up at limelight one night /morning mad gaff/crowd

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
well there are a few on here getting hot under the collar and yes , the downtown , lower east side/ greenwich village bars were interesting to say the least ....we ended up at limelight one night /morning mad gaff/crowd

I guess our definitions of outraged and offended are different. (Which may explain why I struggle to see the woke stuff people are always raging against).

I won't ask you to highlight the posts but I am genuinely interested to know which you are referring to.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Absolutely disgusting. Its this type of thing that actively encouraged and justified shopkeepers of a certain mindset not to sell these chocolate bars to girls or women. Its misogyny in its purest form, he might as well have punched her in the face for asking. We're potentially only one step away from that happening, thanks to adverts like this going out and classing women ("girls") as second class citizens compared with men. Everyone involved should be utterly ashamed.

Etc.
Thought you were being serious for a minute...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
sarcasm noted but i can assure you that is far from the truth.
So the idea that all men would be sneered at in all bars in NYC if they ordered a diet coke is a load of old bollocks, then, I presume you'll agree?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's great though, dismissing something as woke means that old blokes can avoid discussion of opinions they don't like whilst simultaneously clinging on to the idea that they support free speech.

I am still yet to see a woke opinion about this ad or anyone claiming to be 'offeneded' by it. The most extreme opinion about it on this thread is that it is pythonesque🤣.

Culture wars seem to be to be sinking into McCarthyism. Watch out for wokes under the cloaks people.
I'm not sure I even understand that. Are you criticizing people for accusing people of being 'woke' or are you criticizing people for pretending that other people haven't called them woke?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not sure I even understand that. Are you criticizing people for accusing people of being 'woke' or are you criticizing people for pretending that other people haven't called them woke?
I am questioning how much effect the 'woke' have on anything. Currently my experience show loads of people complaining about woke people complaining but no actual woke complainers.

It all seems utterly ridiculous at the moment.

The woke seem relatively quiet, wheras the the anti woke are all over every possible story.

I also feel like often those accused of being woke are just sharing an opinion. An opinion that angers the anti woke and sets them off on their ranting. How on earth are we supposed to discuss anything in such a climate.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I am questioning how much effect the 'woke' have on anything. Currently my experience show loads of people complaining about woke people complaining but no actual woke complainers.

It all seems utterly ridiculous at the moment.

The woke seem relatively quiet, wheras the the anti woke are all over every possible story.

I also feel like often those accused of being woke are just sharing an opinion. An opinion that angers the anti woke and sets them off on their ranting. How on earth are we supposed to discuss anything in such a climate.

Well forcing people to believe in things they don't believe is the bastion of the woke in present times.

They are the modern day version of the old Evangelicals. Try to destroy anyone who doesn't believe in their nonsense.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well forcing people to believe in things they don't believe is the bastion of the woke in present times.

They are the modern day version of the old Evangelicals. Try to destroy anyone who doesn't believe in their nonsense.
Paranoid. Just live your life, you’ll be surprised how much “woke” doesn’t interfere. If you can stop yourself seething and arguing with yourself about it, of course.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Paranoid. Just live your life, you’ll be surprised how much “woke” doesn’t interfere. If you can stop yourself seething and arguing with yourself about it, of course.
It's just a way of expressing prejudice for some people isn't it?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Do you live in the real world?

One of the departments at the place I work at has to deal with such clowns.

Tim walks in one day and says he now identifies as a Zebra and he would like to be called zebra.

This isn't a made up story, this is a real person, working in a Government department and dealing with the public.

If you won't buy into that bullshit you're the one who will face potential disciplinary action for not pandering to the weirdo loons requests. That's what other staff were told.

So what were you saying about all these crackpots not interfering with others lives?

Or are you seriously saying nothing will happen to someone if they won't pretend a man is a woman?

If all this stuff just happened in little pockets of the internet then nobody would care. But given this is creeping into places normal people have to exist in it is impacting others.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Tim walks in one day and says he now identifies as a Zebra and he would like to be called zebra.

This isn't a made up story, this is a real person, working in a Government department and dealing with the public.

If you won't buy into that bullshit you're the one who will face potential disciplinary action for not pandering to the weirdo loons requests. That's what other staff were told.

So what were you saying about all these crackpots not interfering with others lives?

Or are you seriously saying nothing will happen to someone if they won't pretend a man is a woman?

If all this stuff just happened in little pockets of the internet then nobody would care. But given this is creeping into places normal people have to exist in it is impacting others.
We've been moving on for decades. You would have existed in the 70s saying the same thing about the Tim equivalent then. Oddballs have always existed. Tolerance is never a bad thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I read as far as your silly zebra bollocks.

Stop crying and get over yourself. Everyone else has.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Weird Thread

OP: What do you think of this ad now?
Group A: Meh. It's of it's time. Wouldn't really be OK now. Just a bit silly in today's context but obviously not offended by it.
Group B: WHY ARE YOU SO OUTRAGED BY IT!!!??!?!
Group A: We're not. We're pretty calm about it.
Group B: TYPICAL OVER THE TOP RESPONSE. SUMS UP OUR PATHETIC SOCIETY ETC ETC

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We've been moving on for decades. You would have existed in the 70s saying the same thing about the Tim equivalent then. Oddballs have always existed. Tolerance is never a bad thing.

Moving on to where?

Moved on from a pretend God to a bunch of new pretend things?

Tolerance should extend as far as you can believe what YOU like, just don't force others into believing it.

Isn't that how it should be? Or is tolerance to be enforced by the authoritarian types?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is going well...
:fishing:
chocolate-kidding.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here