Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It's easy to have a good side with the money he has got to spend"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
im not saying we havent spent anything, but its within proportion.
You kind of did:
but Gus hasn't actually spent that much has he?

i do think our position has meant we could hold onto to players. but really, its not like we've gone out and spent more than anyone else, we're not the Man City of League 1.
But Ince didn't say that either. This is what he has said:

Ince said:
It's easy to have a good side with the money he has got to spend, but to go unbeaten is an unbelievable achievement," said Ince. "They will go up this year, they are the best team and the most consistent team. We're under no illusions how tough it is going to be....
Personally, I won't argue with any of it. Poyet would have been expected to guide us to a top six place with his budget I reckon, which is what good sides do. Instead, we are completely running away with the league and have absolutely slaughtered opponents in about 8 of those matches. Ince is acknowledging that.

Interestingly, County play Huddersfield at the weekend, and he will probably say "it's easy to have a good side with the money he has got to spend" about Lee Clarke. If he did so, no-one on here would bat an eyelid.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Didnt realise til I read that article that Forest had lost their unbeaten home record.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
but Gus hasn't actually spent that much has he?

maybe not gus personally, but the squad we have hasnt come cheaply really

murray
barnes
greer
bennett
holroyd
dicker
noone

and bearing in mind we've spunked countless amounts of mcnulty and tunnicliffe who havent played a game this season. ok, we're not quite in the southampton league of spending yet, but as far as league one goes us, them and huddersfield must be the top three spenders in the division

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Had great respect for Ince as a player, he hasn't had the same impact as a manager, but maybe with time?

We all know Gus has over acheived, he's been fantastic, which unfortunately means when we go to the championship and win a few games he'll be bandied about when the Premiership sack race starts on match day 3!

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
We have spent some money but not in the League of Southampton and Huddersfield. Saints spent a cool £1m on Lambert and the players they have are probably paid £10K a week at least (Fonte, Jaidi, etc). As for the Terriers, they have Kilbane on loan from Hull and he won't be cheap!

Still, everyone is jealous as they would like to be a maximum 16 points from guaranteed promotion with 11 games left!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
maybe not gus personally, but the squad we have hasnt come cheaply really

murray
barnes
greer
bennett
holroyd
dicker
noone

and bearing in mind we've spunked countless amounts of mcnulty and tunnicliffe who havent played a game this season. ok, we're not quite in the southampton league of spending yet, but as far as league one goes us, them and huddersfield must be the top three spenders in the division
So you're saying ince is totally wrong?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That article to me sums up in some ways what is wrong with Inces management technique, he seems to highlight individual mistakes and blame losses on them rather than Gus for example who will normally say the TEAM didn't perform, I'm possibly way of the mark but its just an observation made by reading that interview.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just remember that when some manager goes on about us having a good team because we have money what he's really saying is that 'actually I know my team is inferior' so it's not something to worry about. As has already been said the fact that we are well ahead of the real big spenders who cares ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well if it was easy we wouldn't have spent/spunked money on quite a few bad players, and probably would have been promoted last season under Slade who probably spent more in transfer fees than Gus. Certainly than Gus did in the summer.

And if it was easy, I wonder why Ince didn't take the job when he had the chance?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be fair to Ince he saved Macclesfield from near certain relegation to the Conference and got Franchise promoted. Blackburn was just a step too far. However, assuming that Gus gets an offer he can't refuse who's to say he will prosper in the Premier. Ince chose Blackburn who are never likely to win much since Sir Jack Walker passed away.

When you think about how many managers can you think of who've gone from the third tier to the top flight and been successful in the twenty years ? I can't think of anybody really.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You kind of did:

this place can be hard work sometimes, it was a question and qualified. i didnt think we've spent more than other teams in or around the top, at least not necessarily enough to make it "easy". clearly im incorrect and we've bought the title, Ince is quite right to highlight this (alongside a compliment about the consistancy).
:flounce:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When you think about how many managers can you think of who've gone from the third tier to the top flight and been successful in the twenty years ? I can't think of anybody really.
George Graham? Millwall 3rd div to 2nd div I think (and laid the foundations for a promotion to the 1st), then moved to Arsenal where he won loads more.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst on the London & SE late kick off, Gareth Ainsworth paid credit to Gus for turning the club around without any big name signings.

Truth is we will have a budget bigger than some, smaller than others. What I feel we have not done is BUY the title which some opposition managers occasionally like to insinuate. As much as I loathe Paul Ince I do not think he was say that in this interview.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Martin O'Neill?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Two managers in the last twenty years out of of knows how many, I rest my case.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Tony Pullis, Ian Holloway, Martinez, Warnock - although it is probably a stretch to say they have been successful. Maybe Poyet uses Ince as his model and that is why he is prepared to bide his time and build a successful club instead of jumping at the first opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here