Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its all going the same as it went last season......

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What are these problems? Genuine question. Not me being arsey.

Last season we couldn't win away. We have shown that already this season.
CMS wasn't scoring. He now is.
The problem is if a team comes here "to do a job" like Birmingham and Ipswich did, we cannot and do not change the why we play to break them down.

If a team comes to attack and play football. 9 out of 10 we will beat them. If we get an early goal like against Barnsley or Sheffield Weds, the other team has to come out and attack, and 9 out of 10 will will beat them. Gus has built a team that if involved in an attacking match will beat most before them. That's plan A, and I'd give Gus ten out of ten for that.

Problem is when we ride high in the league, everyone pays more attention to you. And as happened in periods last season, in two spells, teams come to play us to "do a job", park the bus, get everyone behind the ball and challenge us to break them down....., and we can't. There were times in teh first half last night when El-Abd was walking the ball out of defence and stopped and didn't have a clue where to go and went back. Ipswich got everyone behind the ball, and the style we play there was no where to go, and in the end a very lucky goal recused a point, when by that time we could have been 2 or 3 down.

The problem is, Gus has a system that when it works we win, when it doesn't we dont. And when it doesn't, most of the time its not down to how we play, its down to how the oppositon let us play. I would imagine Derby will use the same tactics Saturday and sit right back and let us have the ball, and unless we scrore early, it will be another boring game like last night and like so many last season.

If every team played open football against us every week, we would win this division. But they don't, and they won't, and Gus really needs to come up with an alternative system that he can adapt during the game, and until he does that we are going to be in for some very long boring games at Falmer this season, as we have seen in the last two games.

If KLL scored in the first minute last night, I think we would have gone on to win 4 or 5 nil. If we had scored in teh first minute against Birmingham we would have done the same.

But let teams settle and "park the bus", we won't win games home or away.

There were times last night that the players looked completely lost at what to do. And just as many times Gus was standing in the dug out, arms folded starring at the pitch, seemingly at a loss as to what to do. He spent more time last night monaing at the ref/4th official, and talking and waving his arms towards the bench then he did passing information onto the pitch.

If Gus can adapt ,so when sides do come here to defend in numbers we can break them down, he will become a legend and get his dream job. But its happened so much over the past year, I am genuinlly worried he is incapable of it.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
If any of you think that it helps the team to whine when we are as [low] as third after a handful of games, feel free to bugger off and support Spurs like all the other whinging Man United wannabes. The last time we lost one and drew one we followed up with 5 straight wins or have you forgotten that already? #Getagrip!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
More similarities: our run of poor form led to us dropping down and coincided with a good run of form for palace, lifting them to third (a season high for them).

Brighton v Palace.jpg

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
We are now 1 point better of than last season and a better goal difference and playing better lots of positives and a fully fit squad in 2 weeks

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Is it me or do the same fans appear to come out of the woodwork when we are not always winning?
Because when you say you are not convinced by Gus Poyet when we've won a couple, people get shouted down no matter how the games were won. I've been here after every game and have not been conviced by Gus Poyet. And I'm not. Being a top manager takes the ability to change a struggling side. Three games without a win, three (well not at Derby but at least two) very weak performances after a very good run of results its starting to become a recurring story, and until Poyet can change that, I'll have serious doubts about his ability to lead us to the promised land.

When teams have come and play against us, we can f*** them. And we f*** them bad. When teams sit back and park the bus we haven't got a clue. Now either Poyet needs to find a different system, plan B as its commonly called, to counter these teams, or we need to find a manager that can play a system that works against against both attacking and defending sides, because as outstandingly brilliant Poyets Plan A is when it works, when it doesn't work his non-working plan A is as bad as his working plan A is good!! (Some of the slower members may have to sit and think about that for a few moments :lol:)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The problem is if a team comes here "to do a job" like Birmingham and Ipswich did, we cannot and do not change the why we play to break them down.

If a team comes to attack and play football. 9 out of 10 we will beat them. If we get an early goal like against Barnsley or Sheffield Weds, the other team has to come out and attack, and 9 out of 10 will will beat them. Gus has built a team that if involved in an attacking match will beat most before them. That's plan A, and I'd give Gus ten out of ten for that.

Problem is when we ride high in the league, everyone pays more attention to you. And as happened in periods last season, in two spells, teams come to play us to "do a job", park the bus, get everyone behind the ball and challenge us to break them down....., and we can't. There were times in teh first half last night when El-Abd was walking the ball out of defence and stopped and didn't have a clue where to go and went back. Ipswich got everyone behind the ball, and the style we play there was no where to go, and in the end a very lucky goal recused a point, when by that time we could have been 2 or 3 down.

The problem is, Gus has a system that when it works we win, when it doesn't we dont. And when it doesn't, most of the time its not down to how we play, its down to how the oppositon let us play. I would imagine Derby will use the same tactics Saturday and sit right back and let us have the ball, and unless we scrore early, it will be another boring game like last night and like so many last season.

If every team played open football against us every week, we would win this division. But they don't, and they won't, and Gus really needs to come up with an alternative system that he can adapt during the game, and until he does that we are going to be in for some very long boring games at Falmer this season, as we have seen in the last two games.

If KLL scored in the first minute last night, I think we would have gone on to win 4 or 5 nil. If we had scored in teh first minute against Birmingham we would have done the same.

But let teams settle and "park the bus", we won't win games home or away.

There were times last night that the players looked completely lost at what to do. And just as many times Gus was standing in the dug out, arms folded starring at the pitch, seemingly at a loss as to what to do. He spent more time last night monaing at the ref/4th official, and talking and waving his arms towards the bench then he did passing information onto the pitch.

If Gus can adapt ,so when sides do come here to defend in numbers we can break them down, he will become a legend and get his dream job. But its happened so much over the past year, I am genuinlly worried he is incapable of it.

The Birmingham and Ipswich forwards pressured our defence from the off,any team that does that will draw or beat us as we do not have good enough forwards to score more than one goal on a regular basis

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It is a fact that we are a better team than last year but we only have one way of playing and our opponents know it, on Talksport the same thing was being said by Swansea supporters.
The problem is we have so many supporters who have in the short period at Falmer been accustomed to us winning a fair number of our games so its a bit of a shock to finding us dropping points particularly at home,after a couple of seasons they will appreciate that we can hold a top half of the table position in the Championship and forget the Fantasy of us as a Premiership side.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I think today has proved it has not been a blip. A long hard season awaits unless Gus finds a plan B. Which we all know is not going to happen

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think today has proved it has not been a blip. A long hard season awaits unless Gus finds a plan B. Which we all know is not going to happen
I think the two winless runs we had last season proved it is not a blip. Fair from it. The fact we are "blipping" again with a much better squad of players, suggest it may be something else

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
From 2nd October - I fully expect Derby to almost play as the away team on Saturday, park the bus and let us huff and puff again without creating any real damage. I really hope I'm wrong, but unless Gus wakes up and sorts out an alternative way of playing, I can see another poor run coming up. The players are better. The tactics are the same. Excellent when we score early or a team tries to play football against us. Worthless when we are slow out at the back and allow the opposition to get 11 men behind the ball.
Sometimes its a curse being right all the f***ing time!

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
My mummy said if you've got nothing decent to say then don't say anything at all.

Here's something decent... Albion fourth & in the play offs!! Bring it on!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I wish Gus had a Plan B. I mean, only winning 2-1 this week compared to 6-1 last week... anyone can see we're going backwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here