Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its all going the same as it went last season......

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
1. Cannot win from a losing position.
2. Cannot beat a top 8 side.

So far...... nothing's changed in either regard.

Hopefully it will - onwards and upwards....

Point 1. We've only gone behind in 3 games. 1 of which was a late goal so no real time to 'come from behind'.
So that's TWO games where we've gone behind with time. One of which we got back to a draw.
So thats ONE game where we've gone behind and not got a goal back.
The overwhelming percentage of wins goes to the teams that take a lead in a football match. Thats just obvious. Our 'problem' is a non story at this stage.

Point 2 - Palace were a team in the relegation spots, they're now in the playoffs. Huddersfield were second. They're now 8th. No one is in a position yet where they can be referred to as a 'top 8 team' or a 'bottom half team' as the table hasnt even had time to develop and settle yet!!!! So if we had beaten Barnsley on the first game of the season would that count as 'beating a top 8' as they begin the league there alphabetically? It's a ridiculous statement at this stage of a season. 15 games in, yes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hang on...hang on...

We've played ONE 'top 8 team' and we drew! In fact, you can twist it and saw we drew with the leaders!

So that issue is not even REMOTELY apparent this year! mad

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Point 1. We've only gone behind in 3 games. 1 of which was a late goal so no real time to 'come from behind'.
So that's TWO games where we've gone behind with time. One of which we got back to a draw.
So thats ONE game where we've gone behind and not got a goal back.
The overwhelming percentage of wins goes to the teams that take a lead in a football match. Thats just obvious. Our 'problem' is a non story at this stage.

Point 2 - Palace were a team in the relegation spots, they're now in the playoffs. Huddersfield were second. They're now 8th. No one is in a position yet where they can be referred to as a 'top 8 team' or a 'bottom half team' as the table hasnt even had time to develop and settle yet!!!! So if we had beaten Barnsley on the first game of the season would that count as 'beating a top 8' as they begin the league there alphabetically? It's a ridiculous statement at this stage of a season. 15 games in, yes.

I suppose I meant teams who "could realistically finish in the top 8". From the team's we have played so far I'd be genuinely ASTONISHED if anyone other than Birmingham, Hull or Cardiff finish Top 8. In fact, I can't see any of our other early-season opponents finishing above 14th/15th.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From the team's we have played so far I'd be genuinely ASTONISHED if anyone other than Birmingham, Hull or Cardiff finish Top 8. In fact, I can't see any of our other early-season opponents finishing above 14th/15th.

If Charlie Austin keeps going the way he is, Burnley could easily be top 8. EASILY.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And it's not like the prem where their is a clear dividie in quality between top 8 and the others. In that league you HAVE to pick up points against each other in a mini league to improve your position.

Here, using your figure of 3 teams as potential top 8, we have failed to beat 'top teams' in a 3rd of all our games yet are still 3rd. Surely that just demonstrates that It's not as vital in this division to beat each other at the top. Teams drop points all over the shop. If we carry on picking up points consistantly, it won't matter as much who they are against.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No. I said "We cannot BEAT (that says..... BEAT) a Top 8 side. You countered that with "but we drew with a top 8 side".

Your argument is confusing to say the least.

Right, you followed up a statement about us demonstrating 'the same problems as last season'. One of which was that, over the course of a season, we, in general, could not beat top 8 teams. That's fair enough.

To then use ONE GAME as a demonstration that this is again apparent is BEYOND pedantic to say the least. No one is arguing that you used your words correctly and I'm very proud of you for that.

However, beyond use of words there also has to be an understanding of context. To argue that we still 'cannot beat top 8 teams' by using one game as an example is ridiculous. We havent played enough games yet to see if this is still the case or not.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Right, you followed up a statement about us demonstrating 'the same problems as last season'. One of which was that, over the course of a season, we, in general, could not beat top 8 teams. That's fair enough.

To then use ONE GAME as a demonstration that this is again apparent is BEYOND pedantic to say the least. No one is arguing that you used your words correctly and I'm very proud of you for that.

However, beyond use of words there also has to be an understanding of context. To argue that we still 'cannot beat top 8 teams' by using one game as an example is ridiculous. We havent played enough games yet to see if this is still the case or not.

One game? I didn't. You mentioned Cardiff.... not me.

It is my opinion* that Hull, Cardiff and Brum will all finish Top 8. We have failed to score a single goal in any of those games.

*of course, I may be woefully wrong.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

On a wider point, I think you are probably right in that it may be too early to judge. Especially as we cannot say for sure who will finish where.

My concern was that the problems of last year do not appear to have been remedied yet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll meet you halfway.....

No. I've looked at the table and BOTTLED it. If they've only taken 11 points from 9, despite having a striker with ELEVEN goals already, then they must have some real issues at the back...

I'll want top 15!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Oh come on a few games in and your talking like its all doom and gloom FFS!!

This. Today there are so many miserable sods predicting the end of the world because we failed to win the last two games.
Why don't they go off and support Barcelona then they may be, just may be happy.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
What are these problems? Genuine question. Not me being arsey.

Last season we couldn't win away. We have shown that already this season.
CMS wasn't scoring. He now is.

In a word, confidence.

A TV pundit last year, I think it was Souness hit the nail on the head. These passing teams like Swansea rely on confidence. When everything is going fine, everyone wants the ball, no problem but as soon as you hit a bad spell and confidence goes it all falls apart.

Not saying that has happened or is going to happen but it is a worry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here